• Transfers

#47514  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:24 am
x
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dornb liked this
 #47517  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:01 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:22 am
It still seems to me like a math problem. I'm sure there are some schools doing much of their recruiting through the portal, but at some level, there's not enough available spots for all the kids in the portal.
Yea at a certain point something has to give. Colleges recruit from HS. If 2000+ college kids are going to be in the portal every year won’t that mean less HS kids will get an offer? I’d rather have a day 1 starter from the portal than a raw kid from HS. We know some portal kids won’t get offers and we’ll see what happens to them from there. Many will and that will push the lesser HS kids to a lower level school. So are the real losers here the HS kids looking for D II and III offers but won’t get them bc transfers were taken at higher levels?

Maybe this will all work itself out once the free covid year has had time to move on?

Particularly during the recession, you saw the job market struggle to sustain cut backs competing with entry level workers. Sort of the similar idea - hard for a new entrant into the market to get a job when those with some experience are trying for the same spots.

I still think Furman has the right idea - build through high school recruiting and keep an eye out for impact players at positions where you need someone.

The risk in building through the transfer portal is you end up lacking cohesiveness with guys that haven't played together or been in the system. You also run the risk of losing out on both the transfer player and the high school kid.

Of the 2000+ transfers, I bet a relatively small portion of them are guys that have demonstrated they are impact players. That crowd - guys that have shown they can really play at this level - are probably highly in demand.
 #47518  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:50 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:45 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:43 pm
Might be a good time for Furman to have an MBA program.
If I were in charge of Furman's football program, I'd be beating down the door to establish one.
That would amount to the tail wagging the dog, would it not? Or is football the dog?
What if MBA is not a suitable fit for Furman academically and financially?
Would we be able to establish, support, and maintain an MBA program that would be a good one compared to other Furman academics and other reasonably good MBA programs?
(Not saying it would have to be one of the best 75 nationally, but I think it would have to be one of the best 5 in SC, at least one of the best 20 in “SC/NC/GA,”, and at least one of the best 150 nationally in at least some areas of quality, attractiveness, and need.)
Why would it be hard for FU to establish a great business program? I was under the impression that our faculty was pretty good. And the pool of outstanding adjunct instructors (retired business bigwigs) is probably pretty darn deep. Intern possibilities would be crazy. That’s all you need. If Greenville, SC doesn’t need an MBA program, who the hell does?

Makes way more sense than the Community medicine MS for people with no medical credentials.
Paladin575 liked this
 #47520  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:22 pm
I've been told before that Furman is a small liberal arts school. That's the focus (or at least was).

I think there's a fine line between between that and where Samford and Mercer are. Similar schools in some ways, but if you are going to go down the road, you gotta be prepared to go down the road.
Affirm liked this
 #47521  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:50 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:45 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:43 pm
Might be a good time for Furman to have an MBA program.
If I were in charge of Furman's football program, I'd be beating down the door to establish one.
That would amount to the tail wagging the dog, would it not? Or is football the dog?
What if MBA is not a suitable fit for Furman academically and financially?
Would we be able to establish, support, and maintain an MBA program that would be a good one compared to other Furman academics and other reasonably good MBA programs?
(Not saying it would have to be one of the best 75 nationally, but I think it would have to be one of the best 5 in SC, at least one of the best 20 in “SC/NC/GA,”, and at least one of the best 150 nationally in at least some areas of quality, attractiveness, and need.)
Why would it be hard for FU to establish a great business program? I was under the impression that our faculty was pretty good. And the pool of outstanding adjunct instructors (retired business bigwigs) is probably pretty darn deep. Intern possibilities would be crazy. That’s all you need. If Greenville, SC doesn’t need an MBA program, who the hell does?

Makes way more sense than the Community medicine MS for people with no medical credentials.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #47522  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:22 pm
I've been told before that Furman is a small liberal arts school. That's the focus (or at least was).

I think there's a fine line between between that and where Samford and Mercer are. Similar schools in some ways, but if you are going to go down the road, you gotta be prepared to go down the road.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #47524  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:46 pm
When I was in grad school at a relatively major SEC school we had a faculty of 6 that handled grad and undergrad. That was an MS program so it required lab equipment but grad and undergrad used the same stuff. For something like business, you don’t even need any special equipment. You MIGHT need to hire one or two people full time or you can use adjuncts. At CofC my daughter has had adjuncts for lots of courses, and they are great because they are either working in the field or retired from it. So unlike pointy headed intellectuals, they know wtf they’re talking about.

If money is a problem (it isn’t) then they could eliminate some of the silly and useless degree programs now offered. I’d even put religion on the block since it doesn’t really seem to fit the new Furman.
 #47525  by palafan
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:42 pm
I HATE this stupid portal. A scholarship should be a binding contract with expectations and obligations in return for a free education.
apaladin, FurmAlum, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #47527  by FurmAlum
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:46 pm
A little "homelessness", aka tough love, might be what's needed to stop this insanity. There's a difference between a player who has been able to graduate in 3 years and has one year of athletic eligibility left and a player who is just disgruntled over you name it and wants to transfer.

I wonder if a limit on how many transfers each team could take might be a good idea?
 #47528  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:46 pm
Furman should have as minimal as possible graduate degree programs.
No athletics programs at Furman should influence adding or increasing any existing graduate degree programs at Furman.
 #47530  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:51 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:46 pm
A little "homelessness", aka tough love, might be what's needed to stop this insanity. There's a difference between a player who has been able to graduate in 3 years and has one year of athletic eligibility left and a player who is just disgruntled over you name it and wants to transfer.

I wonder if a limit on how many transfers each team could take might be a good idea?
Instead of a limit…How about compensation $’s for the school that loses the Player…1 year of ‘rack rate’ full cost of attendance + tuition at the affected school for every year of eligibility remaining.

According to the US DoL’s Legal Head they are no longer Student-Athletes and are now Student-Workers…so…instead of annually renewable scholarships, they should become 4 year (eligibility years, not calendar years) scholarship contracts with buyout clauses, as described. Now, just like Coaches, the Players never actually pay the buyout, the Acquiring School pays it to the Affected School as a pass-thru.

That works, right?

Dang…we gotta get FUBeAR elected to the NCAA Board of Governers. He would fix this ish toot sweet.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #47532  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:52 pm
affirm wrote:
No athletics programs at Furman should influence adding or increasing any existing graduate degree programs at Furman.
 #47533  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:52 pm
affirm wrote:
 #47534  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:53 pm
affirm wrote:
 #47535  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:53 pm
affirm wrote:

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.