• Around the SoCon

#47205  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:09 pm
Well…this isn’t exactly “around the SoCon,” but it is relevant to the recent discussion in this thread…

Montana State’s starting QB quits the Team & enters the Transfer Portal 2 days before their Home Playoff game. JUST WOW! MSU doesn’t have another QB on the roster who has thrown over 5 passes this season.

He is a Raleigh native and might be trying to get back to warm weather…but I wonder what Coach would be willing to pick him up with this timing. Wofford’s guy probably would. Samford probably needs a QB…dunno.
 #47213  by FurmAlum
 Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Well…this isn’t exactly “around the SoCon,” but it is relevant to the recent discussion in this thread…

Montana State’s starting QB quits the Team & enters the Transfer Portal 2 days before their Home Playoff game. JUST WOW! MSU doesn’t have another QB on the roster who has thrown over 5 passes this season.

He is a Raleigh native and might be trying to get back to warm weather…but I wonder what Coach would be willing to pick him up with this timing. Wofford’s guy probably would. Samford probably needs a QB…dunno.
I wouldn't take that disloyal SOB if he was the last QB on Earth. What kind of player quits the team 2 days before a playoff game?
 #47220  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:12 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

I wouldn't take that disloyal SOB if he was the last QB on Earth. What kind of player quits the team 2 days before a playoff game?
Bobcat fans are saying that he hasn’t played well in the past 3 or 4 games, particularly against their rival Montana, in a critical season-ending game, that would have given them (at least a share of) the Big Sky Championship and, most likely a Top #4 Seed (despite playing 2 non-scholarship Teams & avoiding playing the ultimate Big Sky champ, Sacramento State). They say another QB, a FR who is 2-4 for 12 yds passing this season, was working with the #1’s in practice and was expected to start vs. UTM this week. The replacement guy has been kind of a Wildcat QB for them this year ….30+ carries for 300+ yds & 4 TD’s in 8 games.

So…I guess their Coaches are gonna go with a CIT-like O w/o the Triple Option piece….and sit their season-long Starter…so he bailed. Facing a Montana winter as a NC boy…I guess I get that…but no way in the pre-Portal era does this guy quit on his Team at this point…I don’t think.

This UTM @ MSU game just got a lot more fun. UTM’s starting QB, who was the OVC OPOY, is also out hurt & they lost to SEMO (their only FCS loss) in the only game the Starter missed, but the back-up did look good against Missouri State last week as UTM pulled that upset. Their D is only giving up <130 yds/game on the ground….and the weather looks warm & clear in Bozeman on Sat.

LOVE TO SEE THE UPSET IN THIS ONE!!!
AstroDin liked this
 #47225  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:22 am
I guess if you're looking out for yourself, the soonest you can get in the transfer portal and move on the more options you'll have.

This is nothing materially different than players sitting out bowl games to prepare for the NFL draft. They are putting themselves and their careers first. You can criticize that mentality, but it's what it is.
 #47226  by youwouldno
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:42 am
Also, there are anti-recruiting rules that make entering the portal the only way to even explore a transfer (without breaking the rules - of course this happens unofficially all the time).
 #47228  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:32 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:42 am
Also, there are anti-recruiting rules that make entering the portal the only way to even explore a transfer (without breaking the rules - of course this happens unofficially all the time).

Right. I do not think everyone in the portal has to transfer, they are just given the opportunity to explore transfer.

I mean, just doing some math would suggest that not every player that enters the transfer portal would have a spot to transfer.
 #47230  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I guess if you're looking out for yourself, the soonest you can get in the transfer portal and move on the more options you'll have.

This is nothing materially different than players sitting out bowl games to prepare for the NFL draft. They are putting themselves and their careers first. You can criticize that mentality, but it's what it is.
IMHO it is a big difference. You have a chance for a championship and continue playing next week and so on. A bowl game is one game win or lose.
 #47241  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:

IMHO it is a big difference. You have a chance for a championship and continue playing next week and so on. A bowl game is one game win or lose.
The games are different, but the rationale is likely similar
 #47295  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:19 am
In the latest installment of why solely looking at total yards is misleading:

Montana had 200 fewer yards of offense than EWU, ran 50 fewer plays, had only 13 first downs, and scored 57 points to win.

It's a team game. The points matter. Yards don't.

Paul C, FUBeAR liked this
 #47301  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:16 am
Bad example. Really can’t say that about yardage. Montana couldn’t roll up a lot of yards because they had 6 “scoring drives” of 37 yds or less. 3 under 20 and 2 under 10.
 #47302  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:16 am
Bad example. Really can’t say that about yardage. Montana couldn’t roll up a lot of yards because they had 6 “scoring drives” of 37 yds or less. 3 under 20 and 2 under 10.

You think you are contradicting me, but you are entirely making my point.
FUBeAR, apaladin, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #47311  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:46 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:38 pm
For those pining for Kevin Kelley, he lasted a season.

C’mon - that’s not “Around the SoCon” - FUBeAR abhors thread drift!

We have a whole thread on this subject in its proper place - FCS Football.
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:42 pm
Welp…

DO BETTER! ;)
 #47316  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:48 pm
Back to the SoCon. Looks like ETSU has an overflow crowd today. KSU has their band there. Just haven’t been impressed with the ETSU offense/qb all year. Struggling today. Defense is playing well.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.