• Scouting Wofford -

#4695  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:04 am
Not a thing to do with Wofford, but this is fun.

An interesting and little known point, but the center does not actually have to snap the ball through his legs nor does he have to be the middle of the offensive line. It is more efficient to do it that way, but there's no rule requiring it.

#4699  by tim
 Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:32 am
Also, UTC is not a particularly good offense. In fact, when you look at their schedule, you could make a strong argument that UTC is the worst offense in the SoCon (they've played a significantly lighter schedule than Furman). So, while Wofford has a good defense, it's not surprising that they largely shut down the Mocs.

The Mocs played ETSU the week after Furman did and didn't score until the 4th Quarter. Furman put 27 on the same team the week prior by the 3rd quarter. Then, for a bizarre set of reasons, we fell apart.

Furman's defense has had its share of ugly moments, but most of those are against the pass, not the rush. Furman held WCU to about 100 yards off their average rushing output. While Furman is roughly league average in rushing defense, the Paladins have also faced the top rush offense in the CAA (Elon), the ACC's best RB (Etienne), and a typically high powered rush offense in WCU.

Wofford, of course, does not throw the ball well. I still think our defense has a lot more to show us.
Totally different ballgame if the Chatt qb hits his wide open receivers . Maybe Chatt wins.
 #4713  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:34 pm
Game Note: http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-foot ... _Stats.pdf

With the exception of Quan Weems, we look like a "full go."

First appearance on the depth chart by Carson Maples, the AFA transfer who missed time preseason with injury. Also nice to see Gilby back in the rotation. I think he's going to be a really good player.
Excited to see Maples now on the depth chart - big dude. Also noticed true freshman Anderson Tomlin is listed as Jordan Harris's backup. That gives us three freshmen, one sophomore, and one junior as o-line backups.

I also think having Gilby and Porter back for the Wofford game has big upside.
 #4717  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:08 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:40 pm
It does appear Sochovka is out... Tibbs starting and Hodge as backup
Maybe. It appears Hodge started for Tibbs against ETSU, so he may have just worked himself onto the two deep.
 #4719  by Purpleglasses
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm
Tibbs was out at ETSU due to illness.
He played sparingly.
Sochovka started in his place.
Now Sochovka is out with Injury.
 #4722  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 pm
Purpleglasses wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm
Tibbs was out at ETSU due to illness.
He played sparingly.
Sochovka started in his place.
Now Sochovka is out with Injury.
Correct. So if all were healthy, it would go, in order:

Tibbs
Sochovka
Hodge

So we are missing the second guy.
 #4744  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:34 am
Watching the highlights from the Wofford/UTC game. A few observations.

1. Joe Newman, Wofford's QB, has a lot of impressive runs to the edge. Newman is quick, but I think UTC's middle linebacker is time after time slow getting to the point of attack. Wofford isn't doing anything fancy, they are just outrunning the Moc defenders to the corner.

2. Most (all?) of Newman's throws are right at the line of scrimmage. When he throws, it is usually quick. Of course, the Terrier offense is always good for a few razzle dazzle plays during the game.

3. I think we'll be able to exploit them a bit. They still play a lot of soft coverage and gave UTC throws underneath. I like our chances if they are going to give guys like Gordon, Bell, Watkins, Morehead, and Wynn room to maneuver. The key is getting those linebackers blocked as they run to the play.
 #4750  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am
Here’s a tip for Coach Staggs. It’s pretty technical, so stay with me...

TACKLE #8.

BTW - Chatt’s D is not well-conditioned and/or they have no depth. They look exhausted in every game I’ve watched them play. Wonder how their scores allowed & yards allowed breaks down by quarter, particularly in the games they’ve lost.
 #4756  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:54 pm
Watching those highlights, I am sure the Terriers are already missing Mark Hauser bad. :)
 #4767  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am
Here’s a tip for Coach Staggs. It’s pretty technical, so stay with me...

TACKLE #8.

BTW - Chatt’s D is not well-conditioned and/or they have no depth. They look exhausted in every game I’ve watched them play. Wonder how their scores allowed & yards allowed breaks down by quarter, particularly in the games they’ve lost.
Noticed that a good bit last year, but UTC looks out of shape. They've got some big dudes, but look gassed trying to run sideline to sideline.

I'd like to know how Wofford had over 300 more yards of offense and ran 25 more plays and only won by 11.