• Navy Nov. 21

#46827  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:12 am
Very costly loss yesterday. Teamrankings dropped FU from #72 to #100. 28 spots for one loss. Ouch!
 #46840  by furpop16
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:16 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:21 pm
The best thing about the FU basketball team and program is CBR. Also he is so good in his postgame comments. He can state the obvious without being negative and you get the feeling he is on top of everything and knows what to do to fix things. Very refreshing.

Exhibit 1 to your point:

His focus is on objective facts. Otherwise, when he has suspicions, he calls it out. Like when he says it'll be interesting to review the film to see how many of their up-&-overs were just good shots or were they due to our being out of position. Then observe how he lists the to-do's they'll be working on to get better.

I just wish this guy could be my life-coach.
dornb, 76MrMoto liked this
 #46842  by Paladin91
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:17 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:48 am
purplehorse wrote:
The best thing about the FU basketball team and program is CBR. Also he is so good in his postgame comments. He can state the obvious without being negative and you get the feeling he is on top of everything and knows what to do to fix things. Very refreshing.
All true. The only possibly good thing about losing to Belmont and Navy is that each loss this year might reduce the chance of him leaving for a richer, bigger program by a fraction of a percent. I hope he stays. I don’t want us to lose games. More than that, I don’t want us to lose him.
I think this will be Richey's last year at FU with Slaw, Bothwell and Hunter gone next year. It would surprise me if he stays - we'll be a young team next yr. You can pretty much tell he is grooming Growe to take over the job. Hopefully Richey finishes on a high note - SOCON tournament win and NCAA tournament.
Affirm liked this
 #46846  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:20 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:17 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:48 am
purplehorse wrote:
All true. The only possibly good thing about losing to Belmont and Navy is that each loss this year might reduce the chance of him leaving for a richer, bigger program by a fraction of a percent. I hope he stays. I don’t want us to lose games. More than that, I don’t want us to lose him.
I think this will be Richey's last year at FU with Slaw, Bothwell and Hunter gone next year. It would surprise me if he stays - we'll be a young team next yr. You can pretty much tell he is grooming Growe to take over the job. Hopefully Richey finishes on a high note - SOCON tournament win and NCAA tournament.
It is good to face the likelihood of what is going to happen. It is good to not be surprised. It is good that Growe is being groomed, if that actually is the case. Yes, hopefully Richey finishes on a high note. 42 years is too long. (Though, as an aside, I note that Davidson football had their first post-season play in 52 [FIFTY-TWO] years when they won their conference in the spring. Now I see that they are having their second post-season play in 7 months, due to now having won their conference in the fall season also. Please, not 52 years between championships and NCAA tournament for Furman Basketball. NCAA tournament as it now exists may not even be around 10 years from now!) Yes, I fully agree: "Hopefully Richey finishes on a high note - SOCON tournament win and NCAA tournament." It will be BAD to lose Richey. It will be even worse if we have another 25-or-so win season but falter once we get to get to Asheville. Another thing that will be BAD is if we win the SoCon and do very poorly in the NCAA tournament or even if we lose in a final game that we are very close to winning but just cannot pull it off. Yeah, you can say I'm looking for dark clouds. Maybe so. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the next chapter in the seemingly continuous disappointments from Furman basketball. (Really! We should have beaten Navy! Good grief!)
 #46850  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:44 pm
Paladins91, Hunter is the only one that for certain won’t be back along with Garrison. Slawson and Bothwell have another year if they want it. Hunter came back so maybe Slawson and Bothwell will.
Last edited by apaladin on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #46853  by Sad Din
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:21 pm
Five games in and already talking "next year" SD thinks this is one of the best overall Teams in years. Jon Lawrence has been out. Need him back in there

Need to keep developing the bench. The goal is to be ready in March. It might cost Dins a few games but March is the key

One other thing... dont blame Both for L at all. Last 3 games he has taken the load to make the last shots. He must be very very sore for the beating he is taking. This cant las nite after nite
FU69 liked this
 #46855  by Roundball
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:32 pm
All this talk about when Bob leaves and who will take his place is a waste. Live and love the moment. Live and love the day. Enjoy the good times. Appreciate what we have. Nothing is guaranteed so why fret over tomorrow. :D
Last edited by Roundball on Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sad Din, 76MrMoto, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #46857  by purplehorse
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:47 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:16 am
But he is going to need to figure out a defense that will work. In the last 10 minutes I’m not sure if we got a stop. One guy off their bench was 7 for 7. How often does that happen? A couple of other guys shot 70%. Yikes!

I hope some of our guys get a little more selfish. Over the years we have a way of crowning somebody as “the guy” and everybody just sorta stands back and expects him to do it even when he’s obviously off. Other guys need to shoot more if the alpha is off. I understand Garrison being hesitant on a new team, but Hunter needs to start believing in himself a little more.
Garrison needs to shoot more 3’s unless he is just having a really OFF night.

We really need Lawrence back as he could help us inside and out.

I really like what I have seen from Alex Williams so far.
 #46859  by RaleighDin
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:43 pm
I still struggle to understand what CBR has done that indicates he is anything other than invested in being HERE. Is it just a general fear that we "can't have nice things"?

He literally just moved downtown per a podcast, got a raise, is getting financial commitment to get the locker rooms and offices redone, and it feels like maybe redoing Timmons is around the corner (admittedly I'm an optimist).

He talks about growing where you're planted, well I'd say he's doing that nicely here, and there's runway to keep it going. Remember, it's not all about the money - he has a chance to leave a permanent legacy on this program and university. Could he make triple the money or more elsewhere? Sure, but if he leaves just for $ I don't think he'll be happy, and I think he knows that.

Ok, off my soapbox- I love the schedule and that we have some established programs coming to us for non-conference. Let's take our lumps now so we can dish them out in March.
furpop16, dornb, din23 and 2 others liked this
 #46946  by FU69
 Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:19 pm
Joe Andersen #22, no where to be seen at Navy game? Any one know what gives?
apaladin liked this
 #46947  by Paul C
 Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:31 pm
Was wondering same. He was in the Thanksgiving pic of the team having dinner at Bobs house. So maybe injury?
 #46948  by Affirm
 Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:11 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
I still struggle to understand what CBR has done that indicates he is anything other than invested in being HERE. Is it just a general fear that we "can't have nice things"?

He literally just moved downtown per a podcast, got a raise, is getting financial commitment to get the locker rooms and offices redone, and it feels like maybe redoing Timmons is around the corner (admittedly I'm an optimist).

He talks about growing where you're planted, well I'd say he's doing that nicely here, and there's runway to keep it going. Remember, it's not all about the money - he has a chance to leave a permanent legacy on this program and university. Could he make triple the money or more elsewhere? Sure, but if he leaves just for $ I don't think he'll be happy, and I think he knows that.

Ok, off my soapbox- I love the schedule and that we have some established programs coming to us for non-conference. Let's take our lumps now so we can dish them out in March.
The more I see/hear people stating that they think he will stay here, the more glad I am. I do not want him to leave. But I am not convinced he is going to stay.
By the way, he will have already left a permanent legacy if he wins our first SoCon tourney in 42 years, even a bigger one if he also beats UNC and/or MSU, or wins just one NCAA tourney game. Sure, I wish he’d do all that and then extend that sort of success for several more seasons, before he gets an offer he cannot refuse.
Also by the way, you brought up “moved downtown”, and I heard it when he said “mainly for family reasons.” Who know what “for family reasons” means. As far as we know, and one could speculate that, it might have been for being able to sell his previous house in a hot housing economy, get it done pre-season, perhaps leasing something nice downtown, and postpone deciding what/whether to buy until after he knows where he’ll be in 2022-2023 season.
I agree, let’s enjoy this season we have this year. “Worry about next year and next coach”;when the time comes - but still, I want the year to have some super accomplishments. Beating Louisville was a good start. Losing to Navy was a big disappointment. We should all want a long-term successful and high achieving program which causes us all to be disappointed whenever we lose to Navy and Belmont.
 #46956  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:29 pm
Speaking of Belmont they beat Iona tonight. Of course Iona upset #10 Alabama the night before. Belmont also beat Drake last night.
FU69 liked this
 #46957  by RaleighDin
 Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:11 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:11 pm
RaleighDin wrote:

The more I see/hear people stating that they think he will stay here, the more glad I am. I do not want him to leave. But I am not convinced he is going to stay.
By the way, he will have already left a permanent legacy if he wins our first SoCon tourney in 42 years, even a bigger one if he also beats UNC and/or MSU, or wins just one NCAA tourney game. Sure, I wish he’d do all that and then extend that sort of success for several more seasons, before he gets an offer he cannot refuse.
Also by the way, you brought up “moved downtown”, and I heard it when he said “mainly for family reasons.” Who know what “for family reasons” means. As far as we know, and one could speculate that, it might have been for being able to sell his previous house in a hot housing economy, get it done pre-season, perhaps leasing something nice downtown, and postpone deciding what/whether to buy until after he knows where he’ll be in 2022-2023 season.
I agree, let’s enjoy this season we have this year. “Worry about next year and next coach”;when the time comes - but still, I want the year to have some super accomplishments. Beating Louisville was a good start. Losing to Navy was a big disappointment. We should all want a long-term successful and high achieving program which causes us all to be disappointed whenever we lose to Navy and Belmont.
Agree with everything you're saying, and agreed he could always get an offer he can't refuse. What I was trying to get at was that I don't think he'll take an offer that's just about the money. I would be shocked if he hasn't already received several such offers at this point anyways.

I do think it's worth noting that programs tend to reflect the personality of the head coach (mind blowing, I know). My point here is that CBR hasn't had a single kid not graduate that's played for him, which is very unique with the way the transfer portal is blowing up. If you think about it, he and the staff aren't just recruiting a new class each year, they're recruiting the current roster each year too. If they don't trust that he's staying, they won't be willing to stick it out and wait to play. I'm sure he'll grow and adapt no matter where he's at, but it seems to me (at least with my purple tinted glasses on), that there's a very real fit between coach and Furman. FU's goal should be to make him our very own version Rick Byrd / Bob McKillop. Only way to do that is to continue to pony up with investments in the program. If that happens, it could be enough to get him to stay. If not, at least the investment in the program could be seen as matching the level of sustained success we've had, meaning we should have some good replacement options.

If we gut Timmons, anyone else in favor of immediately naming the court after him :lol: In all seriousness though, I think a project of that magnitude could be a big reason to stay. How many other places would he get to take on such a massive remodel at?
 #46958  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:29 pm
When CBR said they moved downtown and they could walk to the Well. Said it would be great to walk home affer a win at the Well. Maybe he’s thinking he could walk home from the Well a lot in the next 2-3 years as all games will be played at the Well while Timmons us redone. Just a thought.
RaleighDin, Affirm, dornb and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.