• Around the SoCon

#46754  by furmandad
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:30 pm
UNI in at 6-5? The two usual suspect conferences had most of their conference members get bids. :shock:
 #46781  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:20 pm
That is bad. I think they should have taken Mercer. That said all Mercer had to do was schedule an easy FCS like Charleston southern or Campbell and they were probably in. That 10 game schedule with Point is something to learn from.

Still. I wish Mercer were in. Sorry FUBeAR.
For now I pull for ETSU! If they win one or two it will help us all. (And it’s not like ETSU is Citadel so I can actually pull for them
FU69, Davemeister liked this
 #46795  by mathprofhiker
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 pm
gofurman wrote:
That is bad. I think they should have taken Mercer. That said all Mercer had to do was schedule an easy FCS like Charleston southern or Campbell and they were probably in. That 10 game schedule with Point is something to learn from.

For now I pull for ETSU! If they win one or two it will help us all. (And it’s not like ETSU is Citadel so I can actually pull for them
Agreed: Mercer's schedule is what doomed them for an at-large. They only played 8 FCS games (yes, all Socon games), and their best win was at home 10-6 over Chatty, who went 6-5. They also got dominated by VMI. Even if they are as good as some of the playoff teams, it is very easy to leave a team with that resume out.
 #46801  by Yadkin
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:17 pm
Mercer screwed themselves. Bought out their game vs. CSU for $50K and scheduled Point. Bad move by the Bears.
 #46804  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:29 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 pm
gofurman wrote:

Agreed: Mercer's schedule is what doomed them for an at-large. They only played 8 FCS games (yes, all Socon games), and their best win was at home 10-6 over Chatty, who went 6-5. They also got dominated by VMI. Even if they are as good as some of the playoff teams, it is very easy to leave a team with that resume out.

That's pretty much the size of it. Mercer won six D1 games and didn't have a signature win. UNI won 6 D1 games and had a signature win.
mathprofhiker liked this
 #46805  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:38 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Mercer screwed themselves. Bought out their game vs. CSU for $50K and scheduled Point. Bad move by the Bears.
There was talk a few years ago about the SoCon pressuring schools to get out of the business of scheduling NAIA schools. It's embarrassing for the conference to have their #2 team sit home because they opted to schedule a glorified high school team.
 #46806  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:44 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Prolly a bit more to this story, but you’re not wrong.

Mercer 1st screwed themselves. Then, the Playoffs Selection Committee jumped on for sloppy seconds.

And, the SoCon will sleep on these sheets going forward.

FCS Playoffs / Playoff Selection process, like the NCAA’s Constitution, needs a complete Re-Fresh.

Actually, once the P5 gets done wrecking COLLEGE Football with their (Now…Even More!) autonomy, the FCS, as we know / have known it, may no longer exist. So, Refreshing the FCS Playoff / Playoffs Selection process very well could be a fool’s errand. Whatever…just let the MVFC (11) and the BSC (13) fill all 24 spots next year. The rest of us can go do something…autonomous.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #46807  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
There was talk a few years ago about the SoCon pressuring schools to get out of the business of scheduling NAIA schools. It's embarrassing for the conference to have their #2 team sit home because they opted to schedule a glorified high school team.
You know Furman scheduled & played Point in the last Fall season before this year, right?
 #46808  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:52 pm
Looking at some news reports, Mercer was indeed scheduled to play Charleston Southern according to CSU reports.

My guess is Mercer couldn't find a third ooc opponent (11 game schedule), and didn't want to play 6 road games on a 10 game slate (both CSU and Alabama were road contests). They would have played three straight road games to start and 4 of their first 5 would have been on the road.

Still not great to schedule yourself in a corner, but it at least offers a theory why Mercer would drop a road game for a home game they knew they could get.
 #46809  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:56 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
You know Furman scheduled & played Point in the last Fall season before this year, right?
They did. A lot of differences though.

Furman rarely ever schedules sub-D1 opponents. I think it had been 10 years or more before their last D1 contest.
It was a 12 game season. Furman had 11 D1 games.
Furman was looking for a makeup home game for the canceled Colgate contest.

Hendrix was interviewed on this. Furman wanted a 6th home game to make up for the canceled 2018 game. Point was literally the only team they could find to play them in Greenville. They could have just opted to play 11 games, but they wanted the extra home game for the home game they lost.

Furman did put a pretty heavy PR push before that game explaining the need to schedule Point.

So, yes, Furman played Point. The circumstances were quite different, though.
 #46810  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:52 pm
Looking at some news reports, Mercer was indeed scheduled to play Charleston Southern according to CSU reports.

My guess is Mercer couldn't find a third ooc opponent (11 game schedule), and didn't want to play 6 road games on a 10 game slate (both CSU and Alabama were road contests). They would have played three straight road games to start and 4 of their first 5 would have been on the road.

Still not great to schedule yourself in a corner, but it at least offers a theory why Mercer would drop a road game for a home game they knew they could get.
It all started on the bus ride over…and when UConn agreed to pay Yale $285k (announced in 12/20) to play in 2021 …and rolled on from there with those things & the CSU situation, along with other things, all part of the mix.

Not sure why it’s so important to know all the details. Until this year’s Point game, Mercer hasn’t played a non D1 since their 1st year in the SoCon / 2nd year of playing Football - 2014.

Pretty sure they didn’t WANT the schedule they had, but they shoulda found a way to fix it. That’s what the smart peeps in the Athletic Department there & at Furman get paid to do…right?
 #46811  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:12 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:56 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
They did. A lot of differences though.

Furman rarely ever schedules sub-D1 opponents. I think it had been 10 years or more before their last D1 contest.
It was a 12 game season. Furman had 11 D1 games.
Furman was looking for a makeup home game for the canceled Colgate contest.

Hendrix was interviewed on this. Furman wanted a 6th home game to make up for the canceled 2018 game. Point was literally the only team they could find to play them in Greenville. They could have just opted to play 11 games, but they wanted the extra home game for the home game they lost.

Furman did put a pretty heavy PR push before that game explaining the need to schedule Point.

So, yes, Furman played Point. The circumstances were quite different, though.
Did that heavy PR push include the word “embarrassing” and the phrase “glorified high school Team?”
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #46814  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:32 am
Alright guys. I think we all agree:

We all wish Mercer was in the playoffs

They made some odd scheduling decision and it sucks for everyone. Even sucks for Furman as we want at least two SoCon teams in playoffs. Just no room for error with a 10 game schedule. That’s brutal. One was point and one was bama I think. That leaves 8 D1 games to win 7. We have seen this with other teams. I just think it’s better to avoid Point and go with Campbell or whomever and also schedule 11 games.

I hope Mercer makes it next year. Down with the MVC - go ETSU. Win at least one !

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.