• Furman Football Monday

#46506  by youwouldno
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:47 pm
JD's most recent discussion with Dan was interesting, including with respect to the football program. JD specifically called out the staff's mishandling of the QB position, and in general made it clear that the current level of performance isn't acceptable (not that many disagree with this). He said that CCH had earned the job and the extension, but he also explained that the extension was agreed to before the 2020/2021 Covid season even started, and just announced much later for some undisclosed reason.

He did give some cover to the subpar results by noting the impact of Covid-era eligibility and transfer rules, which has certainly been a consistent theme on this forum. In a different part of the discussion, when he was responding to the questions posted here, I thought he sounded surprisingly indifferent towards the SoCon in general.
 #46509  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:47 pm
JD's most recent discussion with Dan was interesting, including with respect to the football program. JD specifically called out the staff's mishandling of the QB position, and in general made it clear that the current level of performance isn't acceptable (not that many disagree with this). He said that CCH had earned the job and the extension, but he also explained that the extension was agreed to before the 2020/2021 Covid season even started, and just announced much later for some undisclosed reason.

He did give some cover to the subpar results by noting the impact of Covid-era eligibility and transfer rules, which has certainly been a consistent theme on this forum. In a different part of the discussion, when he was responding to the questions posted here, I thought he sounded surprisingly indifferent towards the SoCon in general.
Sorry - do you have a link to that discussion? If it’s here, I think I missed it.
 #46518  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:14 pm
At the 41 minute mark JD says (in regards to Grainger leaving) - “our staff got caught flat footed”. YES. THEY. DID. there is our AD saying it on air. We should have had another scholarship QB on the roster
 #46520  by Thorny
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:43 pm
Don't admit anything wrong and the fan base accuses you of being fine with the status quo or being to dumb to see what is wrong.

Admit they screwed up and the fan base comes out with pitch forks...

Can we leave room for CH to give us something more than coach speak?
 #46522  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:58 pm
I appreciate Donnelly's candor. He does well walking the line between giving an honest assessment and not overreacting. Overreacting is the fan's job.

For me, that's encouraging.

I think the coaches are learning to operate in a new world that is rapidly changing and, admittedly, we may not have been prepared for.
 #46524  by Thorny
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:33 pm
I know I am a minority in this but I kind of liked how CH was recruiting QBs.

He brought in two promising QBs and then when the starting job opened up brought in another solid potential QB as a transfer...so a three way fight on a relatively equal playing field.

In this new world of an open portal this seems like a good way of handling things. I'm not sure going forward when Furman brings in a promising QB recruit that appears to be really working out exactly how patient they will be for the starting job to open up.

Also, no one is convincing me Grainger regrets leaving. If we lost are starting QB for the opportunity to ride the bench at a bottom dweller Georgia State that would be one thing but he is now the starting QB for a Georgia State team that is going toe to toe with ranked teams and teams in the SCE and he is large part of that.
 #46527  by gman84
 Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 am
The Jackal wrote:
I appreciate Donnelly's candor. He does well walking the line between giving an honest assessment and not overreacting. Overreacting is the fan's job.

I think the coaches are learning to operate in a new world that is rapidly changing and, admittedly, we may not have been prepared for.
Totally agree. Bottom line the portal got us. FU can't just open the doors to any and all like other SoCon schools. Not an excuse, but a fact. JD also eluded to the fact that our administration and staff need to adapt to the portal and come up with a protocol that works for FU.
 #46528  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am
gman84 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 am
The Jackal wrote:

Totally agree. Bottom line the portal got us. FU can't just open the doors to any and all like other SoCon schools. Not an excuse, but a fact. JD also eluded to the fact that our administration and staff need to adapt to the portal and come up with a protocol that works for FU.
Yep…and not being a spelling Nazi, but, in this case, “eluded” is the exact opposite of what he did. He stated it flat out…as FUBeAR kinda alluded to in a recent post really laying out 2 options for FU Sr. Admin…

1 - adapt and compete
2 - don’t adapt & be satisfied with not competing

ADJD said ‘“without losing our soul.”

Not surprisingly, FUBeAR used a few more words to say the same thing, “the Administration of a School that cares about having a successful / winning Football program will do everything they can, within the broadest guidelines / interpretations of the overall mission & goals of the school, to support that Football program in Recruiting, Retention, and (overall) Development of Football playing Students. The Adminstration will recognize that the environment is extremely volatile & turbulent, and, of course, EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE, thus requiring new & innovative solutions to effectively support the Football Program.”
gman84 liked this
 #46531  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 am
gman84 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:34 am
Thanks for the spell check! :D Science major.
If it weren’t all opposite-like, FUBeAR wouldn’t a did it.
 #46532  by Davemeister
 Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:04 am
Interview was an interesting blend of candor and ADSpeak. Three things that jumped out at me:

1) Furman cannot and will not sign "jocks by the jock" like some of our Conference brethren. Methinks we
already knew that, but it is important to be reminded that the playing field is not level.

2) MORE basketball at the Well, especially with bigger schools that will not come to Timmons. He did
address my Q about the Poinsettia Classic, saying a multi-team event may be in the discussion but not
necessarily the Poinsettia. "A rose by any other name . . ." I know a number of Furman fans who love to
go to the Well but will not set foot in Timmons, no matter how much lipstick they put on it.

3) Furman is not married to the SoCon.
 #46533  by gman84
 Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 am
gman84 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:34 am
Thanks for the spell check! :D Science major.
If it weren’t all opposite-like, FUBeAR wouldn’t a did it.
Need all the help I can git. Glad you done it. :D
FUBeAR liked this
 #46534  by gman84
 Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:10 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:04 am
Interview was an interesting blend of candor and ADSpeak. Three things that jumped out at me:

1) Furman cannot and will not sign "jocks by the jock" like some of our Conference brethren. Methinks we
already knew that, but it is important to be reminded that the playing field is not level.

2) MORE basketball at the Well, especially with bigger schools that will not come to Timmons. He did
address my Q about the Poinsettia Classic, saying a multi-team event may be in the discussion but not
necessarily the Poinsettia. "A rose by any other name . . ." I know a number of Furman fans who love to
go to the Well but will not set foot in Timmons, no matter how much lipstick they put on it.

3) Furman is not married to the SoCon.
#3, very interesting!

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.