• VMI

#46323  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:23 pm
^^^ that is exactly the play I was talking about… thank you
 #46326  by Paul C
 Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:26 pm
As far as offense I feel like our struggles were more execution versus talent or scheme. It’s why we play well versus lesser defenses. We can get away with poorer execution against those lesser defenses. As our QB and OL and certain skill players gain experience I expect execution to improve.

On defense I thought it was interesting what we did. It appeared we brought ALOT of pressure early in the game and they were out of sync and rhythm. Then when we got a lead we backed off as to not give up the big play, which, as would be expected, led to us giving up some big plays :). And then late in the game we cranked up the pressure again.

Overall was glad to see us win the game but giving up 448 yards passing on “Bobby Johnson Day” just isn’t right. I hope he didn’t see the awful technique we had at times from our DBs. But we made some plays when we had to and for the second time this year beat a ranked team at home.

I like where we are going, it’s been super frustrating this year at times, but I trust the process and have seen enough from the youngsters to feel like we have the potential to continue to get better.
FurmAlum, gofurman, AstroDin liked this
 #46331  by FurmAlum
 Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:29 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:17 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:57 pm
That was a gutsy win. It shows we do have some talent and all the coaches aren’t stupid.
Which of the coaches are the stupid ones? Do tell.
Some of the ones on this board.
Flagman, The Jackal, Affirm and 3 others liked this
 #46335  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:20 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
That was a gutsy win. It shows we do have some talent and all the coaches aren’t stupid.
Pshew!

Glad FUBeAR isn’t Coaching anymore. FurmAlum’s barb must’ve been aimed at other targets.
 #46340  by tya1
 Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:18 pm
It was so nice to win a close one late after all the close losses. No matter what happens next week,I hope this is a win that will inspire and encourage the returnees for next year and beyond.I always thought that the way Sheridan's second season team kept battling to the end despite finishing with a losing record was important in the SoCon winning streak that followed.
dornb, Flagman, DeepPurple and 2 others liked this
 #46358  by DeepPurple
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:07 am
I enjoyed being at the game on Saturday. I loved seeing our guys lay it all on the field. There is not one ounce of quit in anyone on that football team, players, coaches, anyone. It was great to see one fall our way at the end. 2021 has been a tough year, we have played two seasons in a span of 10 months. I look forward to some normalcy in 22. The Dins will be ready to go Saturday, next man up.
AstroDin, FUKA61, FUBeAR and 3 others liked this
 #46377  by FurmAlum
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:20 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
Pshew!

Glad FUBeAR isn’t Coaching anymore. FurmAlum’s barb must’ve been aimed at other targets.
You can rest easy FUBeAR. You were not the intended target.
FUBeAR liked this
 #46454  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:05 am
The unexpected departure of Bleekrode just leaves another big hole to fill for next year. He is listed as a RS-So so I guess he is graduating in 3 years. Good for him but bad for the Paladins. He has 3 years of eligibility left so prolly will see him somewhere next year.
 #46458  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:30 am
apaladin wrote:
The unexpected departure of Bleekrode just leaves another big hole to fill for next year. He is listed as a RS-So so I guess he is graduating in 3 years. Good for him but bad for the Paladins. He has 3 years of eligibility left so prolly will see him somewhere next year.
Disappointing, but Furman has managed to roll out a really impressive string of kickers going back about 20 years.

I'd guess Lepvreau gets the first look. He's freshman with 17 games under his belt already as the primary kickoff guy.
 #46465  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:40 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:30 am
apaladin wrote:
Disappointing, but Furman has managed to roll out a really impressive string of kickers going back about 20 years.

I'd guess Lepvreau gets the first look. He's freshman with 17 games under his belt already as the primary kickoff guy.
And he’s the one we rolled out there for a 62 yarder at Western with the game on the line. It was dead on, but unfortunately only went 52 yards.
 #46502  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:38 pm
Saw some VMI fans bandying about this 4th quarter play. Ruled no catch and upheld on review.

What do you think? SoCon refs miss it?

My take:

I think clear on the panned out view that the WR's left foot did not come down in bounds (0:08). So, the question is did he catch it before the left foot came down.

The rule requires the player to have the ball "firmly in his grasp by holding it or controlling it while contacting the grounds inbounds."

WR doesn't catch it immediately. Ball drops down to his waist where he sort of pins it with his forearms. His left leg is supporting the ball as he comes down and Blackshear's arm is all up in there.

Almost simultaneously with his left leg landing (in my opinion, outside the boundary), he swats away Blackshear's arm and secures the ball with his right hand.

Personally, when his right leg comes down in bounds, I don't think he has it. He's pinning the ball with his forearm and leg with Blackshear still grabbing at the ball. I do not think that is "firmly" in his grasp or control.

I imagine if the call on the field was catch, it may have held. I don't think this is a clear miss by the official. In fact, I think it was a much closer call than the earlier touchdown in the other end zone, which they gave to VMI.
 #46503  by Furmanoid
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:56 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:38 pm
Saw some VMI fans bandying about this 4th quarter play. Ruled no catch and upheld on review.

What do you think? SoCon refs miss it?

My take:

I think clear on the panned out view that the WR's left foot did not come down in bounds (0:08). So, the question is did he catch it before the left foot came down.

The rule requires the player to have the ball "firmly in his grasp by holding it or controlling it while contacting the grounds inbounds."

WR doesn't catch it immediately. Ball drops down to his waist where he sort of pins it with his forearms. His left leg is supporting the ball as he comes down and Blackshear's arm is all up in there.

Almost simultaneously with his left leg landing (in my opinion, outside the boundary), he swats away Blackshear's arm and secures the ball with his right hand.

Personally, when his right leg comes down in bounds, I don't think he has it. He's pinning the ball with his forearm and leg with Blackshear still grabbing at the ball. I do not think that is "firmly" in his grasp or control.

I imagine if the call on the field was catch, it may have held. I don't think this is a clear miss by the official. In fact, I think it was a much closer call than the earlier touchdown in the other end zone, which they gave to VMI.
I’d be pretty po’d if I were a VMI fan,but that’s the way it goes. I’m sure we got some bad calls too.
 #46507  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:50 pm
FUBeAR has looked at this one closely.

If anyone not wearing Purple or Red/Gold lenses can clearly see whether the ball is secure or not at the exact moment that the VMI WR’s right foot (the one clearly inbounds - his next step with his left foot is clearly out of bounds) leaves the turf, because that is the determining question, then they must have way better eyes and/or way better technology than FUBeAR has.

As incompetent as SoCon Officials are, FUBeAR thinks the only thing an objective viewer can do, in this situation, is rely on their judgement.

The Line Judge and the Field Judge are both in perfect positions to view the feet and the tangle of 3 arms, 1 ball, and 1 belly that are involved here. They both quickly & simultaneously (seemingly without the usual ‘check with each other’ nods) signaled that the pass was incomplete. The Line Judge then signaled that the WR was OOB. It would have been perceived more favorably if he had instead (or in addition to) given the little ‘juggling signal’ they sometimes use…but he didn’t. The thing is, if the call was correct, then OOB is the right signal and the only one needed. Whether he did not have the ball secured when his right foot left the turf or he caught it in the fraternity tailgate area, the OOB signal still applies. I don’t think they even are required to do that. Just signaling incomplete is all that’s necessary.

So…anyway…the play/call was reviewed for a reasonable amount of time, and the Referee announced that the call on the field was CONFIRMED. So, back to trusting the game & in this case, the replay official. I would just have to guess s/he had more / different / better views and/or better technology than we have in order to CONFIRM that call.

FUBeAR wouldn’t argue it either way.

* just a slight distinction from / correction to Jackal’s take of “So, the question is did he catch it before the left foot came down.” - nope…as noted above, he would need to have caught it before his right foot left the turf. In stride, there is that moment in each step when we (or real athletes as opposed to “we”) have no feet on the ground. Gotta get one of them down, in college, simultaneous with or after controlling the ball. If he gained control of the ball mid-stride (while both feet were in the air- before the left one touched down), it’s not a complete pass.
 #46508  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:07 pm
I thought the previous td in the other end zone was not a catch. They called TD and stuck with it. Worst case scenario is we’re even. VMI peeps should be compkaining about their final play call. Never had a chance.
 #46512  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:35 pm
Noticed a few other things on that play.

1. Jackson is pointing and signaling to his QB and pointing to Blackshear before the snap as if to say "man coverage." I bet you both Jackson and Blackshear knew before the ball was snapped the ball was coming their way. Your best against our best.

2. From what I could see Saturday, if #11 was in man coverage against pretty much anyone, they were throwing the ball to him. He's just that good.

3. Point 2 may have cost them the win. Watch the VMI TE in the slot to the far side of the screen. He fakes the out route and then flashes to the goal post. He was so wide enough open that most of us probably could have hit him. QB never sees him because he's focused on the "always throw to #11 in man coverage" rule. If Morgan looks back to the middle of the field, we probably lose.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.