• FU @ Belmont Nov. 15th

#46443  by Furmanoid
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:02 pm
We made a couple of mistakes and they had a guy go into a shooting coma at the wrong time. Still a great game against a really good team. Overall we look really, really good.
FU3, dornb liked this
 #46444  by Paladin83
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:09 pm
Belmont knew Bothwell would get last shot and he would go to his left. They had three guys waiting for it and it didn’t look like a foul on tv. The kids put out a great effort against a very good team. We had too many turnovers, most of which were unforced and the untimely foul on the last 3 point shot. If the kids fight this hard all season, we will do very well in the Socon.
FU69, dornb, din23 liked this
 #46445  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:21 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:50 pm
Tough loss. It’s never the officials fault you lose games. The tape will show some wasted opportunities where Furman’s ball control was sloppy and led to break away points for them. This road environment will not be different from future away games in the SoCon. Better learn from tonight’s mistakes or else we’re doomed to repeat them.
Yep 20 turnovers, many unforced had more to do with the loss than the refs but yes they were bad. 3 games in and we are 2-1 while most myself included thought we would be 1-2. I will take it even tough we should be 3-0. What we have to guard against is letting this loss cost us the next game. I’m disappointed but encouraged.
dornb, din23, furpop16 liked this
 #46446  by PaladinPower
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 pm
Furman shot… I mean Mike Bothwell shot 6 total free throws. That was it for the entire team.

Bright side is Garrison, Hunter, and Bothwell all very capable of hitting the big shots. Never quit. This team looks better than last year’s.
dornb liked this
 #46447  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:04 pm
Alex Hunter has been amazing. Just amazing.

Slawson makes me cringe about 5 times a game but is worth it. If he cleans up the mistakes he can be great.

Garrison a great add but that lazy pass was aaggghhh. He shot well again.

Hope Pegues is ok. He’s gonna be special.
RaleighDin, dornb, din23 liked this
 #46448  by fu77fan
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:07 pm
A tough loss for sure, but a great effort by everyone.
I would love to know if Bothwell got fouled on his drive to the basket at the end of regulation.
You could probably point to at least 5 single plays where if so and so ….. then we win .

Need to bounce back !
 #46449  by RaleighDin
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:08 pm
Something about this team just seems different - especially vs last year. Think we were more talented last year (at least at the top of the rotation), but the pieces all seem like they're working together this year. I don't see ego or panic in tough moments - it sucks to lose, but we looked like the better team all night in a very hostile environment. Outside of Wofford, I doubt we see a better road environment in the SoCon.

Also, I might have missed it, but has anyone acknowledged how amped Belmont was to play / beat us? Kind of felt like the atmosphere at FU when Loyola-Chicago came to town. People are taking notice of what's happening in Greenville. I know CBR and staff just got raises, but we better build them a new arena QUICK!
dornb, hypercycloid liked this
 #46450  by Flagman
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:44 pm
Belmont is Wofford level annoying
Especially that Murphy guy.
 #46451  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:51 pm
Remember after the disappointng loss at Alabama last year, a game we let slip away late we had our worst game of the year and got blown out in the first half by Winthrop. Need to get over this disappointing loss quickly as Radford is good enough to beat us if we don’t play well.
 #46452  by mathprofhiker
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:02 am
Great effort by our guys tonight that fell a little short. Thinking bigger picture, in the past 48 hours we've gone on the road against 2 top 75 Kenpom teams and taken them both to overtime, coming away 1-1. While I don't believe in moral victories, it takes a pretty good team to get that done.
din23, dornb liked this
 #46453  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 am
apaladin wrote:
Remember after the disappointng loss at Alabama last year, a game we let slip away late we had our worst game of the year and got blown out in the first half by Winthrop. Need to get over this disappointing loss quickly as Radford is good enough to beat us if we don’t play well.
Remember 2 years go we lost a tough one in OT to Auburn and then ripped off 7 wins in a row?

I think this team has the leadership and moxie that was misssing last year.
apaladin, furpop16, Roundball and 1 others liked this
 #46459  by Furmanoid
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:13 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Remember 2 years go we lost a tough one in OT to Auburn and then ripped off 7 wins in a row?

I was thinking back on that Auburn game myself. I remember that as a game where Auburn was awful and we were slightly better than awful at times. This Belmont game was high level basketball. It seemed like a Sweet 16 game or something. Very good D, yet guys were making big shots all over the place, making clutch free throws as used to be expected in big time games, etc. I know we lost, but this team just looks way better than we’ve looked in 40 years (so far). We have several guys with pure, soft 3 point form. We have an additional veteran guy who can move the ball around with purpose when other guys get slightly shaky. And that damn Slawson, I wasn’t much of a fan before, but damn. He and others were contesting shots and fighting for every rebound which I had begun to think was against the rules for us. Talk about about getting everything out of the talent you’ve got.

If we can continue to play at 90% of the level we are at now, we will blow out the SoCon and probably only lose another 3-4 games.
 #46462  by furpop16
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:36 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:13 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I was thinking back on that Auburn game myself. I remember that as a game where Auburn was awful and we were slightly better than awful at times. This Belmont game was high level basketball. It seemed like a Sweet 16 game or something. Very good D, yet guys were making big shots all over the place, making clutch free throws as used to be expected in big time games, etc. I know we lost, but this team just looks way better than we’ve looked in 40 years (so far). We have several guys with pure, soft 3 point form. We have an additional veteran guy who can move the ball around with purpose when other guys get slightly shaky. And that damn Slawson, I wasn’t much of a fan before, but damn. He and others were contesting shots and fighting for every rebound which I had begun to think was against the rules for us. Talk about about getting everything out of the talent you’ve got.

If we can continue to play at 90% of the level we are at now, we will blow out the SoCon and probably only lose another 3-4 games.

After last night’s thriller, I’ll be curious whether we’ll get more or fewer votes in the AP-25. I could see it going either way.
 #46463  by youwouldno
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:18 am
The thing about being good, and playing well against strong opponents, is that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It was a fun game to watch and the team put in a fantastic effort. I think Bothwell had exhausted himself a bit by the end there, just an unbelievable road-trip for him.

Paladins have the opportunity to put together a nice winning streak, if they remain keyed in like they have been. Per Pomeroy, Furman isn't an underdog again until Dec. 14 at UNC.
Furmanoid, din23, dornb liked this
 #46467  by FurmAlum
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 am
From an eyewitness:

One of the best bb games I have ever seen in person. After I got home the sports guy on channel 4 said it was "possibly the greatest game ever played at the Curb Center from 2 NCAA Tournament quality teams." And I agree.

The game had an NCAA Tournament atmosphere. Even though there were only about 1800 fans there it seem like it was 10K and was so loud.

FU played great except for some bonehead turnovers and hit big shot after big shot.

The refs were as bad in person as they must have been on TV. Coach's face got so red at times I thought he was going to have a coronary! And the Cardinal Sin at the End...Bothwell barely breathed on Smith and they gave Belmont a gift and then they unwrapped it nicely in OT.

Belmont is a deceptively good team and they are better than Vanderbilt at this point in the season. I expect them to win the OVC. And they are a class act. Shouldn't be put in the same category as Woffart.

This team is already better than last year's and has great leadership from Hunter,Bothwell, and Slawson. No one is afraid to step up in the clutch and take a big shot. This team will not wilt under pressure at the end of games.

Garrison is a great addition and Pegues is a future star!

The Paladins played their hearts out last night and deserved to win that game.

And the Curb Event Center is a great venue. We should send our Timmons re-vamp architect to Nashville for a look.
furpop16, apaladin, dornb and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.