• Pass D

#46347  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:55 pm
quote="Paul C" post_id=46326 time=1636921601 user_id=60]
As far as offense I feel like our struggles were more execution versus talent or scheme. It’s why we play well versus lesser defenses. We can get away with poorer execution against those lesser defenses. As our QB and OL and certain skill players gain experience I expect execution to improve.

On defense I thought it was interesting what we did. It appeared we brought ALOT of pressure early in the game and they were out of sync and rhythm. Then when we got a lead we backed off as to not give up the big play, which, as would be expected, led to us giving up some big plays :). And then late in the game we cranked up the pressure again.

Overall was glad to see us win the game but giving up 448 yards passing on “Bobby Johnson Day” just isn’t right. I hope he didn’t see the awful technique we had at times from our DBs. But we made some plays when we had to and for the second time this year beat a ranked team at home.

I like where we are going, it’s been super frustrating this year at times, but I trust the process and have seen enough from the youngsters to feel like we have the potential to continue to get better.
[/quote]

—————-

Great win. But I do KNOW that our pass D is just BAD. Western and VMI have just eaten us alive vs our pass D. I mean killed us.

Maybe someone can explain what we are doing wrong? I mean, I saw Jackal note that we may (I haven’t checked] give up more third and ten plays to our opponents than 4th and two. It’s crazy. We would almost be better served to allow the opponent to get a few yards so we don’t give then 3rd and 9. We would rather they have 3rd and 4.

What are we doing wrong ?. I’m really asking.

(VMI had 448 yards passing. Western with a whole new system and players had 386 passing. These last two teams are averaging over 400 yards just in passing yardage! ]
 #46353  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:45 am
It prolly gets worse this week. They threw for over 400 yds against Florida but granted UF has given up on the season evidenced by their game at SC last week. SC fans were all excited because they scored 40 points against UF. Sammy scored 42 in the first half. 😳
Affirm liked this
 #46357  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:00 am
Statistically, Furman's pass defense is middle-of-the pack. Could be better. Could be worse. Saturday tracked that - we did well at times. Less well at other times.

Again, and I've said this for years, I think it is important not just to look at the "total yardage" sheet and draw a bunch of conclusions. Yardage is useful in context. The goal is points, not a bunch of yards.

Not infrequently, the team with more yards will lose the game. Never has the team with fewer points lost the game.

For instance, Saturday Furman held VMI under their average scoring output for the season. They held them to 60 or so yards under the average Keydet rushing output. One of the reasons VMI threw the ball 56 times is because they were having a real tough time running it.

So, yes, the QB threw for a lot of yards. He had 56 attempts and, statistically, he'll probably put up some yards throwing the ball that many times. Furman isn't a great passing offense and I expect we'd put up some passing yards throwing it 56 times. Furman held the VMI QB to well under his average completion percentage.

Could we have been better? Sure. Am I super concerned? No.
 #46362  by furmandad
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:09 pm
You guys are right; the pass D needs a lot of work. Fundamentals Jackal - our technique several times was poor, running with our backs to the play and not turning to make a play on the ball. Our D-line and LB's have been very strong most of the season. Pass D needs work.
bj93, dornb liked this
 #46363  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:37 pm
furmandad wrote:
our technique several times was poor, running with our backs to the play and not turning to make a play on the ball.

Pretty much all day long.
bj93 liked this
 #46367  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:07 pm
furmandad wrote:
You guys are right; the pass D needs a lot of work. Fundamentals Jackal - our technique several times was poor, running with our backs to the play and not turning to make a play on the ball. Our D-line and LB's have been very strong most of the season. Pass D needs work.

I'm not debating that. Some of the time we had bad technique, and they beat us. Some of the time we had good technique, and they still beat us.

Their longest pass play was 56 yards for a touchdown. On that play (a free play anyway due to an offside), our DB spent 20 yards trying to strip the ball instead of pushing the man out of bounds. I mean, we essentially gave them that score.
 #46368  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:15 pm
Their receivers were dang good. And they got away with a lot all day long. They have perfected the technique of a gentle nudge right before the ball gets there - enough to create separation but not enough to draw a flag. I watched it happen over and over again on Saturday.
AstroDin, Ltcfitz liked this
 #46369  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:27 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:15 pm
Their receivers were dang good. And they got away with a lot all day long. They have perfected the technique of a gentle nudge right before the ball gets there - enough to create separation but not enough to draw a flag. I watched it happen over and over again on Saturday.

I agree. They reminded of the Elon team from 10 or so years ago with Terrell Hudgins and Aaron Mellette - just quality receivers that use their bodies incredibly well to create space.

Just my personal take here, but I think VMI's got the best WR group in the SoCon. I think Samford will have the better QB, but I'm not sure Samford's WRs are as good as VMIs.
 #46370  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:05 pm
I haven't posted here in years here, but watching the replay Sunday, there were a lot of great passes thrown to where only their 6-2 receiver could catch it. That does not equal bad coverage. In fact, we had pretty good coverage many times. And as a former DB at Furman, I can tell you that turning your head while you are trying to run full speed to catch someone ain't the easiest thing to do.
Many of those passes from VMI were great passes to the perfect spot. That is almost impossible to defend, in the NFL, college or high school.
HBCUGradFUDad, FU69, AstroDin and 4 others liked this
 #46383  by HBCUGradFUDad
 Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:30 pm
Great post! Not much of pass D, not much physicality. Any team with an avg passer will pick apart that zone. Play man D, jam the receiver off the line and let athletes be athletes.
Louis Tully, apaladin liked this
 #46461  by DeepPurple
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:06 am
QB for VMI is a really good player. Some of those throws were not easy. They were dead on the money, in a window that only they could catch.
Davemeister liked this
 #46464  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:36 am
Attack the Quarterback! Turn the pocket from Safe Space into a Combat Zone. Lots of sacks and hurried throws.

I would rather see us go down fighting than just sit back and let them pick us apart.
gman84, apaladin, bj93 and 3 others liked this
 #46466  by Afurmanfan
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:53 am
Sounds great and Duane Vaughn mixed in some blitzes. We didn’t “go down fighting”- we won. Would rather win than go down. Personnel is a big factor in blitzing decisions- am going to go out on a limb and guess that our coaches know what we can do best more than I do.
Furmanfan22, din23, FurmAlum liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.