Jasper wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:59 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:47 am
We will have to wait and see if anything changes in the offseason.
We probably already know the answer.
I suppose that depends.

Over the next two weeks I think we'll see if the team can pull out a respectable, but not anticipated, 6-5 season. They could also end up 4-7, which would be decidedly less good.

How Furman ends up may dictate a bit how we feel about things. Maybe we blow out a top 20 VMI team. Maybe we show a lot of life or can see glimpses of a productive future at certain positions we maybe didn't see earlier in the season.

Furman has lost the last three games by a total of 15 points. They had no business losing to Western Carolina. ETSU scored on effectively the last play of the game to win. UTC didn't reach the 10 point margin of victory until about mid-way through the 4th quarter.

It is not as though this team is getting run off the field. In FCS play, Furman as a team really had only one "ugly" game, and that was against Mercer. Sometimes that happens. We've had excellent teams play ugly games before.

So, no, it isn't where we wanted to be or thought we'd be this fall. At the same time, you can't really argue we've been completely overmatched, because we haven't.

I think the question is the same for everyone - players, coaches, fans, admin - how big is the "hump" and when do we get over it?
Losses are losses are losses. It is the reason that we keep score in games. Is mediocrity the goal here? It sure as hell looks like it. We have a poorly coached football team with a head coach having a mediocre record FOR THIS PROGRAM. And yet management gives him a raise and extension that make him one of the highest paid people in the organization for running a department that does not produce a profit? Are you kidding me? In the real world, this "aw shucks guy" with the laid back attitude would not last another then minutes. Stop all this justification and wishful thinking and buy him out of his fairytale contract, fire the guy who gave it to him and start from scratch. The kids deserve it and hell, you loyal Furman fans deserve. You want to see a real Fun Zone? Win on the football field inside the stadium. That is more fun than a barrel of monkies. I am into hoops now. Had enough of this nonsense.

This guy.
 #46318  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:08 pm
Yes I think we need to be realistic.

It is not like the best teams have left the southern conference to play FBS ball.

It is not like 8 more teams make the FCS playoffs than in the past.

I think stats like total points on the scoreboard can be misleading. Instead of being a 5-5 team I think we are more like 10-0 in my mind. And why compare ourselves to top 10 FCS teams when we can just compare ourselves to weak Southern Conference teams.

Yep onward and upward. We are on the right trajectory for sure. Where is that Food truck?
 #46472  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:35 pm
No show yesterday?
No - due to scheduling conflict. I guess Dan Scott was on his way to Nashville.
 #46474  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:18 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:35 pm
No show yesterday?
No - due to scheduling conflict. I guess Dan Scott was on his way to Nashville.
Makes sense. Forgot about that. 👍
 #46480  by Affirm
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:21 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:08 pm
Yes I think we need to be realistic.

It is not like the best teams have left the southern conference to play FBS ball.

It is not like 8 more teams make the FCS playoffs than in the past.

I think stats like total points on the scoreboard can be misleading. Instead of being a 5-5 team I think we are more like 10-0 in my mind. And why compare ourselves to top 10 FCS teams when we can just compare ourselves to weak Southern Conference teams.

Yep onward and upward. We are on the right trajectory for sure. Where is that Food truck?
I wrote “be realistic” in response to writer saying to buy out CCH’s contract and to fire the guy who gave CCH the contract. No, THAT is not realistic.
 #46481  by Johnnytuckerson33
 Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:51 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:59 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:47 am
We will have to wait and see if anything changes in the offseason.
We probably already know the answer.
I suppose that depends.

Over the next two weeks I think we'll see if the team can pull out a respectable, but not anticipated, 6-5 season. They could also end up 4-7, which would be decidedly less good.

How Furman ends up may dictate a bit how we feel about things. Maybe we blow out a top 20 VMI team. Maybe we show a lot of life or can see glimpses of a productive future at certain positions we maybe didn't see earlier in the season.

Furman has lost the last three games by a total of 15 points. They had no business losing to Western Carolina. ETSU scored on effectively the last play of the game to win. UTC didn't reach the 10 point margin of victory until about mid-way through the 4th quarter.

It is not as though this team is getting run off the field. In FCS play, Furman as a team really had only one "ugly" game, and that was against Mercer. Sometimes that happens. We've had excellent teams play ugly games before.

So, no, it isn't where we wanted to be or thought we'd be this fall. At the same time, you can't really argue we've been completely overmatched, because we haven't.

I think the question is the same for everyone - players, coaches, fans, admin - how big is the "hump" and when do we get over it?
Losses are losses are losses. It is the reason that we keep score in games. Is mediocrity the goal here? It sure as hell looks like it. We have a poorly coached football team with a head coach having a mediocre record FOR THIS PROGRAM. And yet management gives him a raise and extension that make him one of the highest paid people in the organization for running a department that does not produce a profit? Are you kidding me? In the real world, this "aw shucks guy" with the laid back attitude would not last another then minutes. Stop all this justification and wishful thinking and buy him out of his fairytale contract, fire the guy who gave it to him and start from scratch. The kids deserve it and hell, you loyal Furman fans deserve. You want to see a real Fun Zone? Win on the football field inside the stadium. That is more fun than a barrel of monkies. I am into hoops now. Had enough of this nonsense.
Sir, respectfully, shut up. Yes this team has struggled but do not forget where CH has brought us back from. In his tenure, we have defeated ranked teams just about every season, contended with an ACC team and a talented Sun belt team, contended for a conference championship 3 out of the 5 last seasons and successfully got one. If you can't handle a bump in the road, then we don't need selfish ungrateful fans like yourself. We could very well be a 2 loss, heck even a one loss SoCon team right now. We are very similar to Clemson right now. Have had a somewhat consist defense but an underwhelming offense. Give this time. If you can't, it shows the lack of football IQ you or anyone else clamoring for CH to get fired. Have a good night :D
Chuckles, AstroDin, tim and 3 others liked this
 #46496  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:25 am
tim wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:29 am
Good 'ole Johnny Tuckerson :D
FUBeAR is unfamiliar with Mr. Tuckerson’s work.

Has he been a more prolific poster around these parts in the past…perhaps during some of the many times / years when the evil Stumpy had FUBeAR (formerly known as FU5454) on suspension?
tim liked this
 #46497  by tim
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:52 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:25 am
tim wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:29 am
Good 'ole Johnny Tuckerson :D
FUBeAR is unfamiliar with Mr. Tuckerson’s work.

Has he been a more prolific poster around these parts in the past…perhaps during some of the many times / years when the evil Stumpy had FUBeAR (formerly known as FU5454) on suspension?
Who knows? Ever so often we are assaulted with a strain of something that seems familiar, and we then realize its just common sense again.
FUBeAR liked this
 #46498  by Furmanoid
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:19 am
I don’t think it is stupid to expect some improvement after this many years. My other alma mater was 4-8 in 2019. They switched coaches. They are now 8-2 with one sure win and one iffy game ahead. They are #12 per the CFP rankings. I guess people with good football IQ’s would say this is impossible, but it happened.

That’s an extreme example, but that’s what happens if you hire a REALLY good coach. It doesn’t take 7 years to get something going. With a good coach you improve more gradually, but not this gradually. With an OK coach you hold your own. CH is OK. Maybe he’ll beat the odds and become good. After all it’s his first job.

He shouldn’t be fired, because this is Furman and football just isn’t a big deal. If it were a big deal, he would be on the hot seat. It’s that simple. OK is OK.
 #46499  by gman84
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:33 am
What isn't OK is ripping a guy on a public forum. To me, it serves no purpose. Obviously, some folks feel better to vent.
 #46501  by Furmanoid
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:36 pm
So if you say somebody is only OK and not good, that’s ripping them? I’ve been ripped before, that’s not ripping. I said he should keep his ridiculous salary and extension. Give me that deal and rip me all day long. But if I don’t lie and say he’s doing well I’m ripping him?

I doubt the coach is as hypersensitive as you think he is. And I also doubt he would give himself a very high grade to this point.
 #46504  by gman84
 Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:23 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:36 pm
So if you say somebody is only OK and not good, that’s ripping them? I’ve been ripped before, that’s not ripping. I said he should keep his ridiculous salary and extension. Give me that deal and rip me all day long. But if I don’t lie and say he’s doing well I’m ripping him?

I doubt the coach is as hypersensitive as you think he is. And I also doubt he would give himself a very high grade to this point.
Sorry for the confusion. You did not rip in your comments. Another post previous to yours was what I was referring to. My bad. I also agree our head coach would be the first to admit this season is not ok.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.