• Furman Football Monday

#46086  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:27 am
I like the idea/concept and appreciate FU, Dan and CCH for doing this, However if you’re looking for info or answers it leaves a lot to be desired. For example this week I tuned in to here why the qb change was made, why there was no replay at Western, etc. Was disappointed that no explanation, especially about the qb change was offered. It just seems to be the same every week with CCH saying the same things about “we need to get better, coaches need to coach better, yada, yada, yada. They used to ask for questions but as the season went slowly downhill they don’t even ask now. Of course most were ignored anyway. Anyway just wish it wasn’t so vanilla.
 #46094  by Davemeister
 Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:28 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:27 am
I like the idea/concept and appreciate FU, Dan and CCH for doing this, However if you’re looking for info or answers it leaves a lot to be desired. For example this week I tuned in to here why the qb change was made, why there was no replay at Western, etc. Was disappointed that no explanation, especially about the qb change was offered. It just seems to be the same every week with CCH saying the same things about “we need to get better, coaches need to coach better, yada, yada, yada. They used to ask for questions but as the season went slowly downhill they don’t even ask now. Of course most were ignored anyway. Anyway just wish it wasn’t so vanilla.

I think it's called "CoachSpeak". Others might call it "Diplomacy".
 #46098  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:36 pm
I'm not exactly sure what you want him to talk about. If CCH had a lot of answers, we won't be on a losing skid.

He does go into some more detail in Keeler's piece.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 271646001/

He did say one thing that got me thinking:
“This is an extension of the spring (season). We didn’t have an offseason. We didn’t have 30 transfers come in. It’s just not going to change overnight.”

I had not contemplated this, but Furman is at a point where they are playing their 16th or 17th game in the same calendar year. Unlike a few other schools, we didn't have an influx of fresh bodies coming in off the transfer wire.

The last three weeks CCH has mentioned that we are (1) making mistakes and (2) playing teams with a lot of transfer portal players. Maybe that's nothing. Maybe it's worth remembering.
 #46100  by Furmanoid
 Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:52 pm
I think when he talks about the “extension of the spring season” he’s just saying that there was no logical reason to expect a ton of improvement in such a short time. You expected it, but you are, well, you. I did what my FU drama teacher called “the willing suspension of disbelief” for a while and was somewhat hopeful, but my optimism was based on CH taking over the O line (which either didn’t happen or didn’t work) and an improved or replaced quarterback which hasn’t really worked out either.
 #46106  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:39 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:52 pm
I think when he talks about the “extension of the spring season” he’s just saying that there was no logical reason to expect a ton of improvement in such a short time. You expected it, but you are, well, you. I did what my FU drama teacher called “the willing suspension of disbelief” for a while and was somewhat hopeful, but my optimism was based on CH taking over the O line (which either didn’t happen or didn’t work) and an improved or replaced quarterback which hasn’t really worked out either.

It's probably difficult to know what missing the offseason program would do. We my never know. Maybe it had no effect. Hendrix seems to think it did.

Just me, but I really don't think our problem is the offensive line. They've largely looked good. Our problem on offense is that we can't consistently get the ball from point A to point B in the air and defenses know it.
 #46110  by purplehorse
 Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:01 pm
My interest in Furman football is probably the lowest it has been since before 2001. I will keep getting my tickets but I am not optimistic at all until we get out of the Furman coaching tree.

A shame we can’t use all the creative game-day imagination to have a better offense.
apaladin liked this
 #46111  by purplehorse
 Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:22 pm
The coach’s show says nothing so after my question was not answered last year, I quit listening to it. Nothing personal but it is what it is. A shame it is not more reality like Brian Snitker taking questions after the Braves’ games, WIN or LOSE
!
 #46121  by Davemeister
 Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:47 am
I have a feeling CCH knows a lot more than he's saying. He can't talk about what he's going to do while the season is in progress, especially if it involves stepping on some toes. So the easiest thing for him to say is "I don't know". We will have to wait and see if anything changes in the offseason.
 #46129  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:59 pm
Davemeister wrote:
We will have to wait and see if anything changes in the offseason.
We probably already know the answer.
 #46130  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
I suppose that depends.

Over the next two weeks I think we'll see if the team can pull out a respectable, but not anticipated, 6-5 season. They could also end up 4-7, which would be decidedly less good.

How Furman ends up may dictate a bit how we feel about things. Maybe we blow out a top 20 VMI team. Maybe we show a lot of life or can see glimpses of a productive future at certain positions we maybe didn't see earlier in the season.

Furman has lost the last three games by a total of 15 points. They had no business losing to Western Carolina. ETSU scored on effectively the last play of the game to win. UTC didn't reach the 10 point margin of victory until about mid-way through the 4th quarter.

It is not as though this team is getting run off the field. In FCS play, Furman as a team really had only one "ugly" game, and that was against Mercer. Sometimes that happens. We've had excellent teams play ugly games before.

So, no, it isn't where we wanted to be or thought we'd be this fall. At the same time, you can't really argue we've been completely overmatched, because we haven't.

I think the question is the same for everyone - players, coaches, fans, admin - how big is the "hump" and when do we get over it?
 #46131  by youwouldno
 Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:09 pm
I like how, with wins, the context doesn't matter at all (Scoreboard!!!), but then with losses, there is a ton of context in order to justify the outcomes.
Affirm, bj93 liked this
 #46132  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:34 pm
youwouldno wrote:
I like how, with wins, the context doesn't matter at all (Scoreboard!!!), but then with losses, there is a ton of context in order to justify the outcomes.
I like how, with wins, some people rarely post at all, but then with losses, there are a ton of posts in order to…

…to…really…who the <F> knows…just to beeyatch…or, more likely, FUBeAR guesses, to admire their own amazing ability to identify the obvious.
 #46142  by Jasper
 Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
I suppose that depends.

Over the next two weeks I think we'll see if the team can pull out a respectable, but not anticipated, 6-5 season. They could also end up 4-7, which would be decidedly less good.

How Furman ends up may dictate a bit how we feel about things. Maybe we blow out a top 20 VMI team. Maybe we show a lot of life or can see glimpses of a productive future at certain positions we maybe didn't see earlier in the season.

Furman has lost the last three games by a total of 15 points. They had no business losing to Western Carolina. ETSU scored on effectively the last play of the game to win. UTC didn't reach the 10 point margin of victory until about mid-way through the 4th quarter.

It is not as though this team is getting run off the field. In FCS play, Furman as a team really had only one "ugly" game, and that was against Mercer. Sometimes that happens. We've had excellent teams play ugly games before.

So, no, it isn't where we wanted to be or thought we'd be this fall. At the same time, you can't really argue we've been completely overmatched, because we haven't.

I think the question is the same for everyone - players, coaches, fans, admin - how big is the "hump" and when do we get over it?
Losses are losses are losses. It is the reason that we keep score in games. Is mediocrity the goal here? It sure as hell looks like it. We have a poorly coached football team with a head coach having a mediocre record FOR THIS PROGRAM. And yet management gives him a raise and extension that make him one of the highest paid people in the organization for running a department that does not produce a profit? Are you kidding me? In the real world, this "aw shucks guy" with the laid back attitude would not last another then minutes. Stop all this justification and wishful thinking and buy him out of his fairytale contract, fire the guy who gave it to him and start from scratch. The kids deserve it and hell, you loyal Furman fans deserve. You want to see a real Fun Zone? Win on the football field inside the stadium. That is more fun than a barrel of monkies. I am into hoops now. Had enough of this nonsense.
 #46188  by Affirm
 Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:11 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:34 pm
youwouldno wrote:
I like how, with wins, some people rarely post at all, but then with losses, there are a ton of posts in order to…

…to…really…who the <F> knows…just to beeyatch…or, more likely, FUBeAR guesses, to admire their own amazing ability to identify the obvious.
Obviously your post is sarcasm. Obviously you really do not like what you say you like.
Your underlying message, obviously, may be true or not true.
 #46189  by Affirm
 Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:13 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
I suppose that depends.

Losses are losses are losses. It is the reason that we keep score in games. Is mediocrity the goal here? It sure as hell looks like it. We have a poorly coached football team with a head coach having a mediocre record FOR THIS PROGRAM. And yet management gives him a raise and extension that make him one of the highest paid people in the organization for running a department that does not produce a profit? Are you kidding me? In the real world, this "aw shucks guy" with the laid back attitude would not last another then minutes. Stop all this justification and wishful thinking and buy him out of his fairytale contract, fire the guy who gave it to him and start from scratch. The kids deserve it and hell, you loyal Furman fans deserve. You want to see a real Fun Zone? Win on the football field inside the stadium. That is more fun than a barrel of monkies. I am into hoops now. Had enough of this nonsense.
Be realistic.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.