• My Opinion

#45985  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:56 pm
So…why don’t we just go get another mature leader with multiple years of eligibility, extremely Football-smart, 6-2 220 lb QB, with SEC Starting experience, a cannon for an arm, wheels to match, and a howitzer for a leg as an added bonus?

Obviously, our Coaches are just terrible Recruiters!
hypercycloid, Affirm liked this
 #45986  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
So…why don’t we just go get another mature leader with multiple years of eligibility, extremely Football-smart, 6-2 220 lb QB, with SEC Starting experience, a cannon for an arm, wheels to match, and a howitzer for a leg as an added bonus?

It’s so different now of course. There might not be another IM but I would bet there is a QB in the dreaded transfer portal as good as any qb in the SoCon. Very doubtful to get a transfer qb so I am basing my hope on Carson Jones. If he doesn’t work out its back to square one.
 #45990  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:14 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Bingo.

Seriously, though, times are different. I imagine that in 2021 Ingle Martin would have likely transferred to another P5 school and played immediately instead of transferring to a 1-AA school.
 #45993  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:34 am
In the future our coaches will have to pay more attention to the transfer portal (love the "Fansville" commercial!) If we had brought in a player like Rogan Wells things would be much different this year.
 #45997  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:35 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:34 am
In the future our coaches will have to pay more attention to the transfer portal (love the "Fansville" commercial!) If we had brought in a player like Rogan Wells things would be much different this year.
Please see Post #45952 & Post#45974 in this thread.
 #45999  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:08 pm
Yeah man, I agreed with you. My post was a "refresh".
FUBeAR liked this
 #46008  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:42 pm
I continue to say it but how bad are we to believe Luke Shiflett is that he became the 3rd string QB, then bumped to WR? That was our transfer QB. Either he is a terrible QB, the coaches saw more potential for the offense with him at WR, or maybe…just maybe he should have got a real shot at QB when the offense struggled.
 #46009  by palafan
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:21 pm
I too am disappointed and frustrated at another year of not winning the conference and being strong contenders for the National Championship. But, all of this negativity doesn't do anyone any good, especially our players and recruits that read this crap.

Realities are:

CCH started in a hole

His first real recruiting class doesn't get to play because of covid and that had to be a huge disruption in the long range plan and in these kids preparation and grooming

We lost good players like Atkins and Gurley to this BS transfer nonsense, and could and will likely lose more

On the other hand, we won't be getting anymore IM or CF transfers because you no longer have to sit out a year on a lateral transfer. I'll take my toys and go elsewhere if I don't play as much as I think I should is going to be the mentality. And, good lord think of the impact of that on discipline.

We had some key injuries at positions we are not deep at

Wynn's absence was a very noticeable vs. ETSU and WCU

FU admin is more concerned about US News rankings and being the Harvard of the South than they are about what we all love, know and expect Furman was and should continue to be. They won't let CCH and CBR get good transfer student athletes from other schools if they are in anyway deemed slightly less than what the coveted rankings might not tolerate.

This negativity is seen by recruits and mentioned to the coaches. Loose lips sink ships, so keep your negative ones closed, please.

In the end, the NCAA is going to ruin college sports we know and love.
FUBeAR, gman84, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #46010  by HB88
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:03 pm
Not trying to perpetuate negativity, but hard to overlook the fact that CH's best three seasons have been with players he inherited (the hole you mention) in most key positions.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #46011  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:26 pm
HB88 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:03 pm
Not trying to perpetuate negativity, but hard to overlook the fact that CH's best three seasons have been with players he inherited (the hole you mention) in most key positions.

This is my opinion, but QB was one of the few positions where Hendrix inherited some immediate talent. A lot of other position groups were a disaster when Hendrix arrived. The problem was that there wasn't much depth.

Hendrix and - let's not forget - Cronic inherited a talented senior starter in PJ Blazejowski. Behind him was a talented veteran in Harris Roberts who hadn't seen much playing time behind Blazejowski and Hannon. You could win with those guys.

The problems showed up after Roberts graduated. The problem was really both a Fowler problem and Hendrix problem. As I have relayed before, Furman whiffed on retaining and developing a QB for three seasons - Fowler failed to take a QB after Roberts and then missed on Avery Armstrong (who became a useful utility player at receiver). Hendrix had recruited JeMar Lincoln, who transferred out.

So, after Roberts we were left with two freshmen, Grainger and Sisson. Then just Sisson. We played the spring with one QB. Now we have Sisson and a true freshman.

In my view, some of the issue is a Fowler problem - his staff failed to recruit and retain a QB after Harris Roberts. Some of the issue is a Hendrix problem, who missed on their first QB recruit and were left to try to win with two freshmen. The QB transfer they tried to land - Shiflett - they have playing WR.

While Hendrix has been at Furman a while, really the only position where this staff has struggled to develop depth is at QB. It's unfortunate in that the position is also the most important one on the field.
 #46012  by youwouldno
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:36 pm
palafan wrote:
Realities are:
CCH started in a hole
Well his two best seasons were seasons 1 and 2. So this doesn't seem to make much sense, but let's see the justification below.
palafan wrote:
His first real recruiting class doesn't get to play because of covid and that had to be a huge disruption in the long range plan and in these kids preparation and grooming
Every team was impacted by covid. Sure, it created a tough situation, but why was Hendrix uniquely hurt by it? Looking at the classes themselves, I don't see any basis for this claim at all. Definitely not a valid excuse.
palafan wrote:
We lost good players like Atkins and Gurley to this BS transfer nonsense, and could and will likely lose more
Maybe you meant Grainger instead of Gurley, but the "reality" is that Furman has had fewer transfers out than most programs. If anything this should have made things easier on CCH, not harder.
palafan wrote:
On the other hand, we won't be getting anymore IM or CF transfers because you no longer have to sit out a year on a lateral transfer. I'll take my toys and go elsewhere if I don't play as much as I think I should is going to be the mentality. And, good lord think of the impact of that on discipline.
Well CCH has taken 2 QB transfers in, one of which quickly moved to WR and the other of which quickly moved to a different university. But in any case, this again is something that impacts all programs, and if anything should be less of a problem at Furman.
palafan wrote:

Furman has the same number of scholarship as other FCS teams (or more), and all teams deal with injuries. There is no reason to think Furman has been particularly unlucky in this area.
palafan wrote:
FU admin is more concerned about US News rankings and being the Harvard of the South than they are about what we all love, know and expect Furman was and should continue to be. They won't let CCH and CBR get good transfer student athletes from other schools if they are in anyway deemed slightly less than what the coveted rankings might not tolerate.
CBR seems to be handling it OK.
palafan wrote:
This negativity is seen by recruits and mentioned to the coaches. Loose lips sink ships, so keep your negative ones closed, please.
CCH is on youtube talking about how clueless he is regarding the program and how to turn things around. Nothing anyone says here is going to top that.
 #46013  by Sad Din
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:43 pm
palafan wrote:
I too am disappointed and frustrated at another year of not winning the conference and being strong contenders for the National Championship. But, all of this negativity doesn't do anyone any good, especially our players and recruits that read this crap.

Realities are:

CCH started in a hole

on the recruiting and developing QBs. Our QB coach was a wide receiver. And to SD's knowledge there is not 1 coach on staff that played QB. Coincidence?
 #46014  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:10 pm
A brief mathematical interlude…

2345 x 0.39 = 915

109 / 915 = 0.119 = 12%

17 / 915 = 0.018 = 2%

2% gazinta 12% a total of 6 times.

“6 times,” as in “6 times the impact on the whole”
gman84 liked this
 #46017  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:58 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:43 pm
palafan wrote:

Realities are:

CCH started in a hole

on the recruiting and developing QBs. Our QB coach was a wide receiver. And to SD's knowledge there is not 1 coach on staff that played QB. Coincidence?

Mississippi State has one of the nation's best passing offenses and their head coach is a lawyer. What's your point?
gman84, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #46041  by Davemeister
 Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:13 am
While we're on the subject of QBs, it will be interesting this Saturday to see if HS is honored along with the departing Seniors. He has a year of eligibility left but he may be ready to move on.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.