• Either invest big in football or don't invest anything (SoCon stinks)

#45939  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:45 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:18 pm
Tongue in cheek to your never ending Don Quixote wish to either get rid of or move down in football.Seriously, It. Never. Ends.
Not I - but instead a previous poster, to whom I was merely responding - was the one who brought up his/her expectation of the need to drop football in 10 years due to our continuing inability to compete (which inability IS at least as “Don Quixote”, or as quixotic, as anything that I have ever written on here).
I was only reminding that “dropping” would be unnecessary if we continue to be mediocre.
[By the way, your “tongue in cheek” tongue seemed to be sticking out some when you typed “(especially this one)”, and seemed to be inappropriately disrespectful.]
 #45940  by FU3
 Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:27 pm
The salary of every Furman President is public information because of the reporting requirements of non profits to the IRS. President Davis according to those documents is the highest paid in history. Your thoughts on Furman football are well known because you say them over and over…
 #45942  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:08 pm
I think if we dropped down a level many fans would quit coming. I don’t see that as a viable option.

No way we will ever move up to FBS.

The only solution is to win at the FCS. If we become a below .500 team at this level year after year, I think we will drop football in 10-20 years. One man’s thoughts right or wrong.
 #45943  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:58 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:00 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:43 am
Pioneer Football = mediocrity at a lower level.
But less investment required?
How much less? You still have to have coaches, equipment, travel expenses, operational services, staff etc. Would generate no revenue. No FBS money games. Peeps would quit giving, would not support etc. includng me.
Davemeister liked this
 #45955  by youwouldno
 Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:27 am
On top of the other issues with it, the discussion can't be had separately from conference affiliation. Furman just is not going to leave the SoCon so that football can drop to non-scholarship. It's silly to even speculate about. The impact on basketball alone would stop that from happening, even if no one actually cared about football anymore (so far as winning goes, the administration has perhaps not cared in decades).
apaladin, Davemeister liked this
 #45967  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:30 pm
FU3 wrote:
The salary of every Furman President is public information because of the reporting requirements of non profits to the IRS. President Davis according to those documents is the highest paid in history. Your thoughts on Furman football are well known because you say them over and over…
What percentage of colleges, universities, school districts, non-profit organizations of all types, corporations, etc., are NOT paying their heads the highest salary in history? I doubt that it is a high percentage.
In particular, I believe that all or at least most colleges pay their presidents large salaries these days, out of necessity in order to keep them. I believe that any excellent president that Furman would hire would receive a high salary.
(I say my thoughts on Furman football over and over? MANY people on UFFP say essentially the same things over and over. In any case, I will KEEP saying whatever I think needs to be said, to whatever extent I may have time to say it.)
Paladin575 liked this
 #45970  by FU3
 Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:16 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:30 pm
FU3 wrote:
What percentage of colleges, universities, school districts, non-profit organizations of all types, corporations, etc., are NOT paying their heads the highest salary in history? I doubt that it is a high percentage.
In particular, I believe that all or at least most colleges pay their presidents large salaries these days, out of necessity in order to keep them. I believe that any excellent president that Furman would hire would receive a high salary.
(I say my thoughts on Furman football over and over? MANY people on UFFP say essentially the same things over and over. In any case, I will KEEP saying whatever I think needs to be said, to whatever extent I may have time to say it.)
I was merely pointing out the silliness of your assertion that I was being disrespectful to President Davis in pointing out her ability to pay for her own housing.I would agree with your point that Furman should pay for an”excellent “ President but I am afraid that is not what we have right now ( again observational vs disrespectful) If I thought it would matter I would explain why I believe this to be the case.Since you last publicly announced your departure from this forum you have returned promising that you would now not hold back ( I was unaware you were doing so previously ) … mission accomplished! Please feel free to keep adding whatever it is that you think you add to a football fan board, you obviously enjoy posting.I will endeavor to do a better job of ignoring you.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.