• Devin Wynn

#45754  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:39 am
I’m beginning to think we may have seen the last of DW in a FU uni. He has gotten a lot of attention from the pros, has nothing to prove so why risk injury in the last 3 games? In the game release it says his status is unclear. You really couldn’t blame him if this is indeed the case. Just throwing it out for discussion.
 #45757  by Furmanoid
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:49 am
apaladin wrote:
I’m beginning to think we may have seen the last of DW in a FU uni. He has gotten a lot of attention from the pros, has nothing to prove so why risk injury in the last 3 games? In the game release it says his status is unclear. You really couldn’t blame him if this is indeed the case. Just throwing it out for discussion.
I don’t know. Sure, right now he may have done enough to get invited somewhere. But if you start out at the bottom of a team’s chart you only get a handful of chances to even touch the ball at camp. You have barely a snowball’s chance of making the practice squad. You might be good enough, but there are only so many reps in a day and those go to higher rated guys. So it seems like a couple more really good games would sure help him.
 #45762  by Jasper
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:17 am
apaladin wrote:
As good as Devin is, he is not in that position. If he gets drafted, no matter how low, he has a shot. An invite to camp rarely works. Jerodus Williams had a better resume than Devin and he lasted through two camps but never made the roster. He is out of football, married with child and doing very well, by the way. I think Devin has not fully recovered from the injury he received at the tale end of the Wofford game.
 #45763  by wcugrad95
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:45 am
As an outside observer, no doubt drafted guys will always get chances undrafted guys do not. Even with some good games to close out the season, I personally would not expect Wynn to be drafted. As a comparison, think about Wynn relative to WCU’s Detrez Newsome (3-straight 1000 yard seasons, big time KO returner, TD machine). Detrez signed as an undrafted FA with the Chargers, impressed enough to make the team and even get some playing time in 2018, and then he was quickly replaced as they spent money on more RBs. In my opinion, no FCS players outside of a QB who has won a few National Championships should consider sitting out to prepare for the draft.

Or to make it more relevant to you guys, compare Wynn to say Carl Tremble. Carl was the best RB that I personally was ever on the field with.
apaladin, Jasper, FU69 liked this
 #45766  by Davemeister
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:11 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:45 am
Or to make it more relevant to you guys, compare Wynn to say Carl Tremble. Carl was the best RB that I personally was ever on the field with.

Interesting comparison, but keep in mind CT played behind a better Furman OL.
 #45768  by wcugrad95
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:25 pm
Not necessarily comparing any of these 3 guys specifically to each other in their capabilities. it was more a comparison of some guys who had massive (better) numbers than Wynn who still did not make it. I would think there are dozens if not hundreds of other examples of why FCS players should not think about sitting out to prepare for or stay healthy for the draft - it is a bad idea in my opinion.

Carl Tremble was the all-time leading rusher at Furman when he left. Newsome was the #2 rusher and all-time leader in TDs at WCU. Wynn has a load of talent, but he has 5 year's worth of stats now and will have gone over 1000 yards in 1 season. He would need to average around 200 yards a game in these last 3 to hit 1000 yards this year. I'd love to have him in a Western uniform, but I just don't see those stats getting drafted. As others have said, he will need to get an invite into a camp and he will need to do something really special in whatever limited chances he gets (just like Newsome had to).

That was really the comparison. I'll get back in my own lane/on my own board now :D

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.