• My Obervations

#45602  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:22 am
Everyone be sure to submit your questions to CCH on Furman Football Monday on facebook and youtube at 1:30 pm. Don’t be surprised if your question doesn’t get asked or answered though. Won’t hurt to try.
 #45603  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:37 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:22 am
Everyone be sure to submit your questions to CCH on Furman Football Monday on facebook and youtube at 1:30 pm. Don’t be surprised if your question doesn’t get asked or answered though. Won’t hurt to try.
Please ask about the CLOCK MANAGEMENT- or total lack thereof !!!!!! We punt down 10 points with less than 5 minutes left. They run three rushing plays and we don’t even use a single timeout. WTH??? We made sure to help them win ?!!!! So… now we get the ball back with a minute left down ten. In tandem - punt plus no use of timeouts.- that’s literally the WORST TIME MANAGEMENT I’ve ever seen a Furman team have

Please hit them with this question.

So glad we drive back to Greenville with those 3 timeouts in our pocket. Good grief. That’s HORRIBLE and completely on the coaches. Completely
 #45604  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:01 am
GF- there was no clock managrment. When you give up you just want the clock to run out. I will ask but it will be ignored Im sure. We have only scored 16 tds all year. 6 came in the WC game so the other 7 games we have scored 10 tds. That is awful! We have to lead the country in 3 and outs.
 #45606  by Furmanoid
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:33 am
Yep, like affirm likes to say, I guess we are good enough. No reason to go making any changes or anything awkward like that. There’s a chance that the elephant in the room isn’t really the problem. And if it is, maybe it will make adjustments. We’ll almost certainly beat WCU and just like that we’ll be talking playoffs, awesome recruiting and next year. And I bet we’ll stumble into one of those shared SoCon titles in the next few years. That’s kinda nice every 5 years or so. Then we’ll hire somebody from Fowler’s era and keep the good times going. Just drink the beer and stop taking it seriously.
 #45607  by gman84
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:58 am
I had to eat a big crow sandwich Saturday! Thought this team could run the table...I was wrong! I'm really at a point now where I don't know what we are trying to do on offense. I wasn't able to watch the game, and when I saw the yardage stat I thought it was a misprint. I certainly don't accept this is ok with the powers to be, but I understand why some on here feel that way. Like I said before, I'll wait until the season is over before I critique the entire body of work. Chat is good and I know they have a lot of veteran players....but they ain't the Ray Lewis Ravens!
 #45609  by youwouldno
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:17 am
Hendrix just got an extension, so the "reality" is that he's not going anywhere. You can beat that drum, but it's not going to happen.

I'm not sure the answer. What I'm pretty sure of is that Furman continuing to do what it is currently doing likely will not lead to different results.

Should we slow the offense down? Huddle? Use position packages that have WRs playing WR and RBs playing RB. Stop trying to be so clever in our personnel groups at the cost of execution?

Maybe changing the play caller would do something. Quarles hasn't had a ton of success at OC. There are plenty of OCs that don't call plays, which is pretty common in the NFL. Maybe let Bratton have a shot or let Hendrix call the offense.

At this point, we've scored fewer than 20 points in 9 of the last 14 games we've played. That's not going to get it done. The sample size is large enough with Quarles to suggest it's not really working at this point.

Hendrix is being paid too much money to simply be immune to any kind of accountability. I agree he won't be terminated, but that still leaves a couple of options -

- Bring in outside offensive coaches, certainly for OC but one or two more as well to get fresh ideas in the building.
- Retire, if he doesn't need the money, with Vaughn as his successor.

I have no knowledge regarding Hendrix's personal situation, but he's not that far from retirement age, and there could be a way to give him a different role (non-coaching) to help with that issue. Stuff like that is fairly common in college athletics to ease transitions, and it's something JD should 100% be thinking through.
 #45611  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:49 am
youwouldknow is on a roll this morning and I agree with just about everything he's saying. However I don't see CCH taking Early Retirement for at least 2-3 more years.

At the conclusion of the season, JD and CH will have their sit-down. What will prolly happen is CH, under pressure, will agree to bring in a new OC and GQ will remain as AHC and coach the TE's or something. Someone further down on the Totem Pole will get the axe.
 #45613  by Flagman
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:54 am
I have questions about our defense. I’m certainly no expert, but even I would have called the same play called by Chattanooga on the first play. They knew that our corners star off 10 yards off the receiver and would immediately turn and drop back the coverage, Chattanooga threw a five yard pass with a good run after the catch. First down! I knew right then it was going to be a long afternoon in the cold and dampness of Finley stadium.
apaladin liked this
 #45633  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:59 pm
Flagman wrote:
I have questions about our defense. I’m certainly no expert, but even I would have called the same play called by Chattanooga on the first play. They knew that our corners star off 10 yards off the receiver and would immediately turn and drop back the coverage, Chattanooga threw a five yard pass with a good run after the catch. First down! I knew right then it was going to be a long afternoon in the cold and dampness of Finley stadium.

For many offenses, that's an automatic call. If a defender is that far off the ball, just throw it out there for free yards.

To our credit, though, we didn't do much of that the rest of the game.
 #45635  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:06 pm
Weren't many highlights to go through this weekend, but this was an interesting play and ended up being one of our bigger gains of the day.

"Tackle over" formation with our LT (Tomlin) to the right and our TE (Miller) next to the LG. Most of the time when you see this formation, the OT is in line next to the RT. Here, Tomlin is split out wide.

Hard to tell from the camera angle, but I'm quite sure Tomlin is not an eligible receiver on this play. That seems to be the very thing the gray sweatshirt UTC coach is hollering to his defense before the snap.

On the snap, Tomlin turns and creates a distraction (we are literally in the "create distraction" part of our playbook now). UTC appears to ignore him as he can't catch a pass anyway. Miller runs up the seam with a nice throw and catch.

#45647  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:55 pm
Flagman wrote:
When Flag is upset it’s not a good sign.
 #45651  by jesse174
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:59 pm
the obvious choice is to have someone else call the plays...I see lots of confusion on getting the plays in to the team on time...so players seem confused...the halftime adjustments in the ETSU game were impressive and carried over throughout the half and in reality fixed our problem that day except for the ridiculous failed snap play that cost Furman that game....then back to nothing on offense versus Chattanooga..so some quick passes can work..speed up the offense go no huddle these are things we can do to increase pace on the offense...we can fix this offense with some conviction and originality...
 #45653  by palafan
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:54 pm
This bullshit portal nonsense will be the end of college sports. “I am not going to earn it, so I’ll take my cookies to another team” is the mentality . By the way, we will not get a Martin or Forcier ever again. We will only lose great student athletes we have.
 #45654  by curiousfan
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:59 pm
Flagman wrote:

For many offenses, that's an automatic call. If a defender is that far off the ball, just throw it out there for free yards.

To our credit, though, we didn't do much of that the rest of the game.
Yeah, I was impressed with the adjustments that were made to become more aggressive with our CBs up in the WRs face. The defense actually started playing much better collectively after the first drive.
 #45655  by curiousfan
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:26 pm
Maybe we can get those Freshmen RBs (2) from TX a few touches with only 3 games left.....Let's not wait until next season, lets see what they have now!

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.