• Western Carolina Game Thread

#4547  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:57 pm
It was stupid for us to show the replay on the video board in that situation. It would never have been challenged had it not been shown. Maybe we didn't have control since it was on TV? KA is a heckuva player. On third and long why don't we blitz? Late in the game they had 3rd and 12 and we gave him all day and he completed a 40 yd. pass. If that ETSU/UTC score holds up we will be kicking ourselves.
 #4548  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
It was stupid for us to show the replay on the video board in that situation. It would never have been challenged had it not been shown. Maybe we didn't have control since it was on TV? KA is a heckuva player. On third and long why don't we blitz? Late in the game they had 3rd and 12 and we gave him all day and he completed a 40 yd. pass. If that ETSU/UTC score holds up we will be kicking ourselves.
Adams is a hard man to bring extra rushers against because of his elusiveness and ability to break contain. The last thing a defense wants is for him to sidestep a rusher, get outside and the defense be down a defender (by virtue of extra pressure).

Against a player like Adams, you try to pressure him by keeping him in the pocket and collapsing on top of him. I imagine we also had "spys" on him most of the game as well. You cannot give him running lanes or slight creases to run through.

Besides, we have a good pass rush with our defensive line. If you can create pressure with 4, there's no need to bring more.
 #4554  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
That's a good point. We seem sketchy on which plays they replay. Some times they show replay. Sometimes not. If we are AT HOME. How about DONT show the replay if the Ref called it our way on the field ???
 #4556  by Bootie
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
As a fan in the stands, I want to see every play shown again on the board, especially anything questionable. Just my take.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #4557  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:02 pm
Not really relevant to the WCU game, but of note generally:
ESPN.com NCAAF scoreboard’s recap article on our game says Furman is 1-3 overall and 1-1 in the Big South.
 #4560  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:48 pm
IF we hang on and win last week we are 2-0 alone in first place with WC. Now ETSU is on top at 3-0.
 #4561  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:30 am
Bootie wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
As a fan in the stands, I want to see every play shown again on the board, especially anything questionable. Just my take.
That too would be ok. replay all the plays, that's fine. But don't pick just a few and show ones which hurt the home team when you don't show ones that could help us. I agree - replay all questionable plays.
 #4562  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:48 pm
IF we hang on and win last week we are 2-0 alone in first place with WC. Now ETSU is on top at 3-0.
True. But I don't think we are going to beat Wofford ... Hope to be wrong!! Right now other teams that can pass somewhat are going to be trouble too - Mercer etc. heck VMI scares me the way they are passing
 #4567  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:04 am
Hope is leading the SoCon with 6 sacks - the closest other player has 4.
Bell has moved up to #2 in return yards, and he is one of only two players with a TD KR.
Morehead and Wynn are both in the top ten in yards per rush.
mathprofhiker, QCGlue liked this
 #4570  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:35 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:04 am
Hope is leading the SoCon with 6 sacks - the closest other player has 4.
Bell has moved up to #2 in return yards, and he is one of only two players with a TD KR.
Morehead and Wynn are both in the top ten in yards per rush.
We have some exciting young players, for sure.
 #4571  by wcugrad95
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:03 am
Last post since the game is over and you guys got the win, but on the replay - not sure what showing it on the board matters. I expect that next year when replay is mandatory league-wide, all TDs are to be reviewed. Given that, I would expect teams that have it now follow that protocol already. So showing it on the board has no impact on if the guys in the booth are replaying it or not. I wish that more teams showed more replays (WCU included). At Catamount games, very few plays seems to make it up on the video board at all.

Since we lost, I really do hope you guys are heading in the right direction. Good luck.
AstroDin, Jasper, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #4573  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 am
I still think the roar from the WCU side after the replay prompted the review. Good luck to the Cats the rest of the way. WCU has a fun team to watch for sure.
QCGlue liked this
 #4574  by gman
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 am
I still think the roar from the WCU side after the replay prompted the review. Good luck to the Cats the rest of the way. WCU has a fun team to watch for sure.
Isn't replay there to get the call right? Bottom line, replay got it right. We won the game. Go Paladins!
 #4577  by Yadkin
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:14 pm
Replays shown on the videoboard have no influence on what plays are reviewed. The decision to review/not review will already have been made by officials before fans see any replay.