• UTC Game Thread

#45514  by youwouldno
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:45 pm
This is CCH's offense. It didn't work out.

There are really only 2 options -

(1) Who cares? Things continue more or less as they are now, with Furman having the worst offense in full scholarship FCS for the remainder of CCH's contract.
(2) In the off-season, CCH hires an outside OC and gives him control of the offense.

My preferred option would be something different - CCH retires and Vaughn becomes HC, and then hires an outside OC. Maybe CCH stockpiled enough cash while at AF that he doesn't really need the money anymore?
 #45516  by FU3
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:47 pm
They ran 69 plays to our 43. There are average junior high teams with 12 minute quarters that huddle up after every play who run more than 43 plays in a game.
 #45517  by jesse174
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:49 pm
agree its not the players for the most part....but our QBs have been poor for several years
 #45518  by Sad Din
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:52 pm
GQ - Asst Head Coach, O Coord, QB Coach

What is not working... ?

If this were a AL, CU, ND, etc. what would have happened by now...

Cant talk accountability and not do something
Furmanfan22, bj93, QCGlue liked this
 #45519  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:59 pm
I have not seen the stats but this has to be one of the worst offensive performances in FU modern history. We simply cannot play FBS Div. 1 football without an offense and that is exactly what they are trying to do. This is a Pop Warner level offense in every aspect of the game. Ill conceived, poorly designed and ineffective. The QB rarely has a man open for a pass because the routes are easily recognized and defended against. We run the option with no one assigned to block the defender who has contain on the pitch man. Situational play calling is obvious and dreadful. On and on. The O needs to be cleaned and burned! There is a lot of talent on this team that is being terribly underutilized. We have great recruiting years and nothing changes. We barely made the playoffs 3 season ago and then got our doors blown off by Austin Peay in the first round. The spring was an unmitigated mess and now we are mired at 4-4 in the middle of the league once again. Our best player was not dressed today. Was he hurt last week against ETSU in limited action or is this the result of the injury he sustained against Wofford while carrying the ball with 2 minutes remaining in a game in which FU had a 3 TD lead? Why isn't someone held responsible for all this? For today at least, even the good members of this board who usually wear purple tinted glasses have taken them off. This is not fun. Furman enjoys a very fine reputation as an academic institution AND as a good football program and that is something to be very proud of. The students, alumni and the loyal fans such as the folks on this board deserve better than this. Its a fixable problem. Someone needs to fix it and that aint gonna happen until more wheels start squeaking. I dont need an FBS Championship. Just a chance to cheer for a well executed TD in a competitive game.
MidlandsPaladin, Sad Din, Paladin575 and 5 others liked this
 #45520  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:03 pm
youwouldno wrote:

(1) Who cares? Things continue more or less as they are now, with Furman having the worst offense in full scholarship FCS for the remainder of CCH's contract.
(2) In the off-season, CCH hires an outside OC and gives him control of the offense.

My preferred option would be something different - CCH retires and Vaughn becomes HC, and then hires an outside OC. Maybe CCH stockpiled enough cash while at AF that he doesn't really need the money anymore?
You nailed that one. Vaughan has turned into a very good coach.
Furmanfan22, bj93, QCGlue liked this
 #45521  by Sad Din
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:03 pm
Jasper wrote:
I have not seen the stats but this has to be one of the worst offensive performances in FU modern history. We simply cannot play FBS Div. 1 football without an offense and that is exactly what they are trying to do. This is a Pop Warner level offense in every aspect of the game. Ill conceived, poorly designed and ineffective. The QB rarely has a man open for a pass because the routes are easily recognized and defended against. We run the option with no one assigned to block the defender who has contain on the pitch man. Situational play calling is obvious and dreadful. On and on. The O needs to be cleaned and burned! There is a lot of talent on this team that is being terribly underutilized. We have great recruiting years and nothing changes. We barely made the playoffs 3 season ago and then got our doors blown off by Austin Peay in the first round. The spring was an unmitigated mess and now we are mired at 4-4 in the middle of the league once again. Our best player was not dressed today. Was he hurt last week against ETSU in limited action or is this the result of the injury he sustained against Wofford while carrying the ball with 2 minutes remaining in a game in which FU had a 3 TD lead? Why isn't someone held responsible for all this? For today at least, even the good members of this board who usually wear purple tinted glasses have taken them off. This is not fun. Furman enjoys a very fine reputation as an academic institution AND as a good football program and that is something to be very proud of. The students, alumni and the loyal fans such as the folks on this board deserve better than this. Its a fixable problem. Someone needs to fix it and that aint gonna happen until more wheels start squeaking. I dont need an FBS Championship. Just a chance to cheer for a well executed TD in a competitive game.
BEST.POST.EVA! Well done!
Jasper liked this
 #45523  by furpop16
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:11 pm
youwouldno wrote:

I’m wondering what JD is thinking. The administration has put a lot of effort into improving the overall fan experience. They can’t be happy putting up their investment behind an uninspired offensive product.
Furmanfan22 liked this
 #45524  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:18 pm
youwouldno wrote:

I say "good enough".
I have to say "good enough".
What else can you say?
Option 1, "Who cares?", seems to me to be essentially true.
Yes, there are people who post on UFFP who care and who are much more knowledgeable than I am. There also are people who never come on here who care and who are sorry that Furman football is so mediocre.
The problem seems to me to be that there is not enough money, or potential money, represented by to totality of both of those groups of "caring" people.
Additionally, there is no perception by the powers that be that having mediocre football costs the overall university enough in financial support to other aspects of the overall university to do something about the mediocre football program.
So, the answer has to be, individually, "good enough".
We have a football team.
Good enough.
Even so, I will continued to be interested in reading the thoughts, analyses, and suggestions of the knowledgeable caring people who post on UFFP. So, please keep giving your thoughts about what needs to be do, hopefully combined with consideration of what can be done. Saying something needs to be done does not mean that it can be done.
 #45525  by fupaladin01
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:27 pm
I have questions:

1)What’s wrong with Wynn?
2)Why did Dominic Roberto only get TWO carries?
3)Where was Luke Shiflett?

Not having your best athletes certainly hinders your offensive game plan.

Not utilizing your best athletes is another issue entirely.
Jasper liked this
 #45527  by FU3
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:29 pm
We have one of the best football facilities in FCS, millions have been donated to the program in the past 10 years. Our coaching staff is well compensated by FCS standards. Attendance is way up.Money has NOTHING to do with our current woes.
76MrMoto, Jasper, QCGlue liked this
 #45528  by Sad Din
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:23 pm
IMHO dont need a new HC need a new OC. Ingle Martin for example

Does any know if GQ is in the booth calling plays who is coaching the QB on the field?
 #45529  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Jasper wrote:
I know. Right? We called that. The Woff injury has haunted us ever since. Sure you can get hurt at anytime. But best O player playing at end of a blowout?.. I texted a few guys today and with the late choice Not to punt saying “we just give up - we don’t try to win” and some other things…. they replied saying they ain’t liking CCH as much any more. Still have hope but we need change. We do. Insanity defined
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.