• Bball Season is Here!

#45305  by Paul C
 Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:54 pm
I bet Alex Williams redshirts too.

And our “most improved” player will be Jalen Slawson. Watch out for him this year.
apaladin liked this
 #45306  by RaleighDin
 Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:25 pm
Wouldn't be shocked, but Repass could really help with his size - if we could get 5-7 minutes a half out of him that could be huge against the bigger teams we play. Don't want to burn it just to burn it though.

I think Pegues is a dark horse and could really push Anderson - watching him practice he seemed to get into the lane really easily. Coach also mentioned how hard he's worked, which is always a good sign.
 #45307  by Furmanoid
 Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:54 pm
We need several guys to double their output or two or three guys to triple theirs. It will be interesting to see who it is.
apaladin liked this
 #45309  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:50 am
We are going to need Repass and his bulk THIS YEAR
 #45310  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:28 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:50 am
We are going to need Repass and his bulk THIS YEAR
Agree, that would be great but I got the impression from CBR that he is not ready yet. There are a lot of points for someone to pick up this year. Who steps up besides the obvious 3?
 #45321  by youwouldno
 Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:27 am
Points aren't a commodity that get replaced. Offense is about possessions and how efficiently they are used (i.e., how many points the team scores per possession).

Under Richey, the Paladins' effective FG% (shooting % adjusted for the additional value of 3-pointers), has ranked #28, #17, #16, and #4 nationally (sequentially 2018-21).

The program has been consistent under Richey in general, but the defense has been up and down more than the offense. So the track record strongly indicates that it's really defense and high-pressure/clutch situations that are the biggest question marks.

Regarding players -

- Garrison's stats, even at D-II, would indicate that he should be among the top 5 players on the team. That would make for a starting lineup of Hunter, Garrison, Bothwell, Hien?, Slawson.
- Not a perfect stat, but 'box score plus-minus' last year had Slawson with the most value per minute on the court for the Paladins, considering offense and defense. That probably overstated things a little, but in any case, he brings a lot more to the table than scoring. If he breaks out in that area, he would easily be in the top handful of mid-major players.
- Joe Anderson had something of a tough freshman season, but in his interview comments during the off-season, CBR has continued to indicate he will be the back-up point guard.
- Other guys coming off the bench would be Foster, Lawrence, Hughey, and I guess one of Pugh or Pegues?
MNORM, FU69 liked this
 #45324  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:06 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:48 am
Bigger isn't always better...
You seem to think all I am going on is his listed size as to why he should play, I know a bit more than that :D
Repass can help this season, no doubt
 #45326  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:38 pm
I think Garrison is the key. He may actually be better with FU than he was with Drury because our offense will get him open shots. I don’t know if theirs did.

Hunter is going to score more this year because he is going to be shooting more. If we get one more guy who can shoot a high percentage night after night (not 60% one night and 15% the next), then the offense will work the way it’s supposed to.
 #45569  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:19 am
Paul C wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:54 pm
I bet Alex Williams redshirts too.

And our “most improved” player will be Jalen Slawson. Watch out for him this year.
I think Slawson will be the key. If he has a great year we will be ok. Then again he will get a lot of attention, so a couple of others are going to have to step uo beside AH and MB. Have no idea who those will be.
 #45596  by Sad Din
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:34 pm
well, since Gurley played with Dins for 4 years and there was some chatter about whether it was a good thing for him to xfer dont you think there's a teenie tiny connection? Its a stretch SD knows...
 #45598  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:30 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:34 pm
well, since Gurley played with Dins for 4 years and there was some chatter about whether it was a good thing for him to xfer dont you think there's a teenie tiny connection? Its a stretch SD knows...
Prolly, but maybe it would be better in the NCAA basketball forum. :)

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.