• State of the football program

#45191  by Jasper
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:58 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:33 am
Jasper wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:53 pm
Furman has a mediocre football team simply because we have a poor offense. That is a result of two things:
1. It is unimaginative, dated and predictable. Play calling is sophomoric. Clearly that is the fault of the OC. That is painfully obvious.
2. We do not have an adequate QB. We are forced to play a true Freshman who is making freshman mistakes because this staff has not developed a QB in 4 years. Who is at fault for that?
IMO we are more than adequate in the 2 most crucial parts of building a good football tram - the O line and the Defense. They are going to waste because of the faults in the offense.

Why can’t they be corrected? It’s simple. Get new and better personnel.
Is that specifically better personnel at the coach level primarily, or at the player level primarily, or at both of those levels?
Very specifically at the coach level. FU has some excellent players at several positions. A glaring exception is in the development of a QB and that is on the coaches. The coach responsible for the offense and QB selection &
development is obviously not doing a good job. Since it is obvious that we cannot win games without scoring an adequate amount of points regardless of the excellence of our defense, then some changes have to be made in those responsible. That is Business 101. Why is sport management exempt from that? We have clearly identified the problem. Now fix it.
Paladin575 liked this
 #45192  by Jasper
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:02 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:52 am
I go to a Braves game and, predictably, come back here to the sky falling again.

Look, ETSU is a good team. They were undefeated most of the year. Brent Thompson said it was the best team he's seen in the SoCon since the UTC teams of 2013-2014. So, let's start with at least a little acknowledgement that we weren't facing a high school squad yesterday. It was a tough hard fought football game.

We didn't win. It happens.

We are all disappointed in the state of the offense. The closest comp I can recall to this 2021 team is the 2003 team, which went 6-5 despite having one of the nation's best defenses. That team, too, had an unsettled QB situation. Of course, the next two seasons we were elite.

I like what I see out of Wilson. Is he making freshman mistakes? Yes. Did we expect him to do that? Yes. He played extremely well the vast majority of the game and I really think he's going to be a special player for us.

In terms of the state of the program:

1. Our QB is a true freshman. He's only going to get better.

2. Our offense is mostly young. There are only three seniors on the two deep. Not an excuse, but I think encouraging that we will return an experienced group next season.

3. Joshua Harris is a freshman, but looks like a special player at WR.

4. Our offensive line has played well and keeps improving. Only 1 senior of the OL two deep.

5. Our defensive line has been outstanding. I have been really impressed with what I've seen out of some of the younger players up front. We'll return a lot of players off the league's best defense next season.

6. Our special teams is in perfectly fine hands with Bleekrode.

At bottom, we aren't where we want to be, but we aren't far from that. We made some mistakes yesterday, and those mistakes came back to haunt us, as they often will against a good football team. I have no issue with the game plan as I think virtually everyone expected this to be a low scoring fight all afternoon.

I'm disappointed with the result yesterday, as I know everyone is, but I'm encouraged for the future.
The old "wait "til next year, gambit".
 #45193  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I go to a Braves game and, predictably, come back here to the sky falling again.

Look, ETSU is a good team. They were undefeated most of the year. Brent Thompson said it was the best team he's seen in the SoCon since the UTC teams of 2013-2014. So, let's start with at least a little acknowledgement that we weren't facing a high school squad yesterday. It was a tough hard fought football game.

We are all disappointed in the state of the offense. The closest comp I can recall to this 2021 team is the 2003 team, which went 6-5 despite having one of the nation's best defenses. That team, too, had an unsettled QB situation. Of course, the next two seasons we were elite.

I like what I see out of Wilson. Is he making freshman mistakes? Yes. Did we expect him to do that? Yes. He played extremely well the vast majority of the game and I really think he's going to be a special player for us.

2. Our offense is mostly young. There are only three seniors on the two deep. Not an excuse, but I think encouraging that we will return an experienced group next season.

4. Our offensive line has played well and keeps improving. Only 1 senior of the OL two deep.

5. Our defensive line has been outstanding. I have been really impressed with what I've seen out of some of the younger players up front. We'll return a lot of players off the league's best defense next season.

At bottom, we aren't where we want to be, but we aren't far from that. We made some mistakes yesterday, and those mistakes came back to haunt us, as they often will against a good football team. I have no issue with the game plan as I think virtually everyone expected this to be a low scoring fight all afternoon.

I'm disappointed with the result yesterday, as I know everyone is, but I'm encouraged for the future.
1. We can only hope.
2. We have the worst offense in the SoCon so is being young a positive? Not sure. I guess the hope is everyone gets better with age but that is not always true.
3. Looks like a good player, but we rarely throw his way.
4. The OL does seem to be a little better but we still can’t run the ball against anyone with close to a decent defense.
5. DL has been outstanding.
6. Bleekrode is fine but our ko and ko return teams need work.
 #45195  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:00 pm
I don't really have much to say… really disappointed in the loss - but it happens. I feel bad for the team - they played hard and never gave up.

As I expected some of the board would call this Furman team not good, even mediocre… whatever!
We lost a hard-fought game with 9 seconds left against a top 15 team in the country.
I see a lot to be excited about and as always I would rather be a Furman fan win or lose than for any other team.

What I learned yesterday…

Jace Wilson has some mettle. The kid took some vicious hits and kept coming back. That was a tough matchup for a Qb making his third collegiate start.

The Bryce's… Bryce Stanfield and Bryce McCormick had excellent games and are starting to become key defensive players.

Wayne Anderson, Jr. When we signed Wayne I wasn't sure if he would be a run between the tackles back. Wayne since getting healthy is proving to be a fighter at picking up tough yards and he's explosive.

Ryan Miller was a matchup problem for ETSU - as good and athletic as they are on defense Miller was getting separation most of the day.

Last note kudos to the ref who took a football to the crotch and walked it off… dude that had to hurt.
FurmAlum, FUBeAR, QCGlue liked this
 #45201  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:03 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:45 am
Football this year reminds me a lot of ‘03. Strong D, offense struggling. We more than likely won’t have an Ingle Martin transfer in. I do think we would have been a SoCon championship team in ‘04 with Bo Moore at the helm. He would have been a senior. JW is just a Freshman. It’s college football. Just look 30 miles to the Northwest. Finish strong. We must endeavor to persevere.
You are probably correct about nearly everything.
Just the record, however, if your 30 miles to the Northwest is in reference to Clemson, please be aware that Clemson is 30 miles (or so) to the Southwest, not Northwest, in relation to Furman.
 #45205  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:21 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:02 pm
The Jackal wrote:

The old "wait "til next year, gambit".

Look, we've got a true freshman QB.

As I've noted before, Furman doesn't have a great track record of national relevance with freshmen QBs. Most teams don't. It is what it is.

At this stage, I think the best thing Furman can do is build cohesiveness with this young QB. Throw him out there and let him learn.
AstroDin liked this
 #45207  by FurmAlum
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:52 pm
On 3rd and 1, just run a QB sneak. We've got 2 plays to make it!

O.K. That's all the bitching I'm gonna do. That was a bitter pill to swallow. Time to move on.

We went toe to toe with a top 15, maybe top 10 team, and should have won. I'll take that as a positive. Time to start preparing for Chatty now. With better offensive execution we can beat them.

We do not need to do what Brent Thompson did. Spent the whole week complaining about the FU game and failed to prepare adequately for WCU. And suffered the consequences.
bj93, MidlandsPaladin, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #45209  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:40 pm
State of program. Good. Not great.

Superb D (occasional pass D bonehead play on third and long) but SUPERB D

O HAS TO SCORE 20. Please.

**+*+. As I look forward , my fear is the D might take a step back next year as the O progresses and we remain about 6-5. OL is young. JW is very young. We do lose Wynn - that will hurt. If Miller and Harris progress that’s awesome. O could definitely. Improve

But D losing Hope. McKoy. Clay. Several DL. I worry our D was best this year
 #45210  by furmandad
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:19 pm
gofurman wrote:

**+*+. As I look forward , my fear is the D might take a step back next year as the O progresses and we remain about 6-5. OL is young. JW is very young. We do lose Wynn - that will hurt. If Miller and Harris progress that’s awesome. O could definitely. Improve

D should be fine next year. Hope lost contain at least two times yesterday as ETSU basic toss sweep went wide without resistance (caught inside). My key concern is DB's. Our defensive backfield looked confused, or we were in wrong coverages, or both, particularly on their last/winning drive. A shame their winning TD came against maybe our best DB. Last drive we made their 5'10 175 lb QB look like Brady. Agree with apaladin - our kick off and kick off return teams need a lot of work. Same with punt return. Many on the board seem to think JW can run ... I haven't seen much game evidence of that (at Furman) yet. High School highlights were nice; he's been run down a few times by D-Lineman and LB's. He did throw some really nice balls yesterday; at least two were dropped and right on target, one for a TD. The throw back from inside the ETSU 10 that was intercepted should have been our score - receiver was wide open - just couldn't get it there.
 #45211  by cavedweller2
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:24 pm
affirm wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
Football this year reminds me a lot of ‘03. Strong D, offense struggling. We more than likely won’t have an Ingle Martin transfer in. I do think we would have been a SoCon championship team in ‘04 with Bo Moore at the helm. He would have been a senior. JW is just a Freshman. It’s college football. Just look 30 miles to the Northwest. Finish strong. We must endeavor to persevere.
Just the record, however, if your 30 miles to the Northwest is in reference to Clemson, please be aware that Clemson is 30 miles (or so) to the Southwest, not Northwest, in relation to Furman.
Thanks for the direction correction Mr. Davis. I never finished my orienteering Merit Badge.
 #45214  by gman84
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 pm
Yep, that game was a kick in the crotch as I told another poster. I’m as frustrated as anyone and I know people are saying this is year five of this staff. I agree we have obvious weaknesses that need to be addressed. We all want a SoCon championship and auto bid to the playoffs. That is also the primary goal of this team. Well that is not in the cards in my opinion. But, what is possible is for this team to focus on improving this offense one game at a time. Go undefeated the rest of the season. Some on here are probably saying put the crack pipe down. Let me finish this hit and I will. I honestly believe this team can run the table. I’ll save my complaining and moaning for the end of the season. Until then, arrow flat right now, but not trending down!
FUBeAR liked this
 #45215  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:59 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 pm
Yep, that game was a kick in the crotch as I told another poster. I’m as frustrated as anyone and I know people are saying this is year five of this staff. I agree we have obvious weaknesses that need to be addressed. We all want a SoCon championship and auto bid to the playoffs. That is also the primary goal of this team. Well that is not in the cards in my opinion. But, what is possible is for this team to focus on improving this offense one game at a time. Go undefeated the rest of the season. Some on here are probably saying put the crack pipe down. Let me finish this hit and I will. I honestly believe this team can run the table. I’ll save my complaining and moaning for the end of the season. Until then, arrow flat right now, but not trending down!

Here's the way I see it.

It would be nice to kick the teeth in of every team on the schedule. I don't think that's a realistic goal. There are very few teams nationally that pull that off. Most FCS teams have to fight their way through their conference schedule.

So, we know most games are going to be contested. Not always, but most of the time. This isn't 20-30 years ago when there were a few good teams and a bunch of doormats.

You look at a game yesterday. Furman loses on really the last play of the game. The difference in the game is small - one or two third down conversions, being more careful with the football in the red zone, converting touchdowns in the passing game, not suffering from procedure penalties on key downs.

Now, some of these errors may be inexperience. Does Jace Wilson in a few years with 20 games under his belt throw the interception at the goal line? Maybe. Does he throw that ball away and live to make a kick? Maybe.

Does some of it fall on the coaches? Sure. Ultimately, they are responsible for some of these mistakes.

For instance, this is the second week in a row we've seen crippling procedure penalties in key downs late in games. Two weeks in a row those penalties have been on receivers. We also had one on the center. Those cannot happen. Absolutely cannot happen.

So, in the long arc, we lose a real gut punch game. Were there positives? Yes. Were there negatives? Yes. Did we give a good team too many chances to beat us? Yes. Does it show that we have talent to hang with a top 15 team? Yes. Are we over the hump? No.

I think the question Furman fans are rightly asking is "when do we get over this hump." That's the big question no one has the answer to.
apaladin, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #45216  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:27 pm
Not to beat a dead horse but there was no need for JW to “throw it away”. JW made the right choice, he just didn’t execute. Receiver was wide open in the end zone and the guy that made the interception was at the 7 yard line when it was thrown. It hung up, floated, wasn’t much on it. Any kind of normal throw its an easy TD. Haven’t watched the replay and don’t know why it wasn’t thrown better. Maybe it slipped out ofbhis hands, maybe he was off balance, anyway it was a floater.
 #45217  by curiousfan
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:30 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:19 pm
gofurman wrote:

D should be fine next year. Hope lost contain at least two times yesterday as ETSU basic toss sweep went wide without resistance (caught inside). My key concern is DB's. Our defensive backfield looked confused, or we were in wrong coverages, or both, particularly on their last/winning drive. A shame their winning TD came against maybe our best DB. Last drive we made their 5'10 175 lb QB look like Brady. Agree with apaladin - our kick off and kick off return teams need a lot of work. Same with punt return. Many on the board seem to think JW can run ... I haven't seen much game evidence of that (at Furman) yet. High School highlights were nice; he's been run down a few times by D-Lineman and LB's. He did throw some really nice balls yesterday; at least two were dropped and right on target, one for a TD. The throw back from inside the ETSU 10 that was intercepted should have been our score - receiver was wide open - just couldn't get it there.
During that last drive, I am still wondering why we were playing a soft zone...put hands on the WR's and play ball...they had not shown that they could beat us...the soft zone allowed the offense to "hitch", curl and out-route us down the field! :?:
 #45219  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:24 pm
affirm wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thanks for the direction correction Mr. Davis. I never finished my orienteering Merit Badge.
No problem.
I would not want you to get lost in the woods or end up at the shore of Lake Jocassee while trying to get to Clemson.
Nor would I want material posted on UFFP to contain material that is easily shown to be factually inaccurate.
I also have always believed until recently that Clemson is in the direction that you stated; but fairly recently, I have realized that it it not.
No part of my name is "Davis", by the way. But I note your apparent minor attempt to ridicule and deprecate.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.