• Post game summary and questions

#44876  by Sir William
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:51 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:21 pm
Sir William wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:23 am
24-14

…the only statistic from Saturday night that actually matters.
Sort of. For one game you are right. Just win. Beat citadel. Awesome! . However, As others have said during CBF era …… some things aren’t sustainable. During CBF we had some strong D and got to playoffs and won SoCon but eventually he was let go. Why? No offense consistency. Eventually the lack of offense caught up.
You’re going to make a program comparison of the 6 seasons prior to the past 5? Really?

You have consistently shown your true colors. Not a true Furman fan. Just a troll from Spartanburg or Charleston or Statesboro. Hey, we all know it. Can’t prove it, but we know it. And we get it. It’s gotta be tough being a fan of Wofford or the Citadel or Ga So. Wish you could be one of us. Too bad. :lol:
 #44895  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:39 pm
Just to clarify gf is a true Furman fan. Maybe a little frustrated but still a FU fan.
Maybe so, but GF is awful sweet on some cute little black & white (and beige) bobtail, mushy-faced pups.

Some of those posts remind FUBeAR of the love notes an awkward Freshman writes, but never sends, to the Sr. Head Cheerleader.
gofurman, furman88 liked this
 #44896  by youwouldno
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Just to clarify gf is a true Furman fan. Maybe a little frustrated but still a FU fan.

On every other sports message board in the world, posters' fandom would be questioned for being happy with the worst offense in the league. On this message board, it's the opposite, because of personal connections between posters and coaches, and other such factors.

We saw the exact same thing with the Lamb and CBF regimes. I think part of it boils down to, at the end of the day, FCS football being seen as basically a pseudo-DI sport, including by coaches and administrators. So if CCH has the choice between having a #40 FCS program with the current staff, or a #20 FCS program with staff changes, it's seen as acceptable for him to choose the former.

I personally favor the Bob Richey approach of making winning a top priority, but relying on true student-athletes to get there. Other coaches are good with winning any way they can. Then there's Paladin football, which does well on the student-athlete front, but where winning is just a nice bonus.

The difference is very stark, listening to coaches speak. Listening to the basketball podcast the other day and then the weekly Hendrix interview, absolute night and day when it comes to having high goals and taking steps to achieve them.
gofurman liked this
 #44899  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:36 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Maybe so, but GF is awful sweet on some cute little black & white (and beige) bobtail, mushy-faced pups.

Some of those posts remind FUBeAR of the love notes an awkward Freshman writes, but never sends, to the Sr. Head Cheerleader.
WELL PLAYED.. I am an ol' computer programmer so I probably never had a girlfriend and just write notes I never send...
FUBeAR, apaladin liked this
 #44900  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:37 pm
youwouldno wrote:
apaladin wrote:

On every other sports message board in the world, posters' fandom would be questioned for being happy with the worst offense in the league. On this message board, it's the opposite, because of personal connections between posters and coaches, and other such factors.

We saw the exact same thing with the Lamb and CBF regimes. I think part of it boils down to, at the end of the day, FCS football being seen as basically a pseudo-DI sport, including by coaches and administrators. So if CCH has the choice between having a #40 FCS program with the current staff, or a #20 FCS program with staff changes, it's seen as acceptable for him to choose the former.

I personally favor the Bob Richey approach of making winning a top priority, but relying on true student-athletes to get there. Other coaches are good with winning any way they can. Then there's Paladin football, which does well on the student-athlete front, but where winning is just a nice bonus.

The difference is very stark, listening to coaches speak. Listening to the basketball podcast the other day and then the weekly Hendrix interview, absolute night and day when it comes to having high goals and taking steps to achieve them.
Youwouldno, THANK YOU !!

wow - I think we SHOULD be displeased with an O that won’t get a few more first downs to help a strong D? if we could just average 25-30 on O we would literally be the favorites to win the SoCon

Instead here I am called a ‘troll’ or some such because I can make analogies to other prior coaches of ours who did similar things (Fower - last in league on offense) and it ended their career! Defense can win some but you need O and D (and special teams) to win a lot!.

I just want to see us win. I care ... I don't understand being called a troll because I want to see us win. Weird stuff.

Objectively we have had a great D (except v Mercer)!! And we have good special teams ( good FGs, block punt, need more from KOR) but ... poor to moderate O - we are still averaging 24/25 a game on O which is a little short of where we need to be .. probably need 25-30 pts a game. More specifically we need not to have such long droughts of several 3 and outs in a row

It is not crazy to see the coorelation to the BF years... he won the Socon and got us in the playoffs with great D and special teams and then had to leave bc we just never got it going on O - it's not sustainable. All that said I think CCH has more vision for the OL and we are closer to making the O work. just need to get this completion percentage up. BF had some weird blocking schemes that never seemed to materialize?
apaladin liked this
 #44901  by soconjohn
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:34 pm
Look at the offensive numbers in 2013...What was the result of that season? What were the defensive numbers? Are the offensive numbers that bad this season as that season, and were the defensive numbers as good as they are this season...Furman won the league...bottom line...Stats mean nothing.
 #44902  by youwouldno
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:40 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Look at the offensive numbers in 2013...What was the result of that season? What were the defensive numbers? Are the offensive numbers that bad this season as that season, and were the defensive numbers as good as they are this season...Furman won the league...bottom line...Stats mean nothing.

So you're saying that a team with good stats and a team with bad stats are equally likely to win? Does that apply only to conference titles or also to national titles? I'm interested in hearing about the national champions with bad stats.
 #44905  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:25 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:40 pm
soconjohn wrote:

So you're saying that a team with good stats and a team with bad stats are equally likely to win? Does that apply only to conference titles or also to national titles? I'm interested in hearing about the national champions with bad stats.
STats mean NOTHING? The scoreboard (ppg and points allowed per game is a STAT !!). Stats mean nothing is the most ridiculous statement I have heard. So points don't matter???

Now I understand that isn't what you meant but that is one of the stats they track for sure.. points scored and points allowed. On the other hand, I bet if you track NDSU (or Furman when we played for the title in 85 and 88 and 01) our STATS are much better than when we go 2-6. Oh yeah, your win-loss record is a statistic too .. :D :D

Look, long term, you cant win without moving the ball and stopping the other guy - which are all measured in stats. That key turnover by Elijah McKoy - thats a STAT ! It's recorded in Turnovers and Turnover Ratio. That seemed quite important on Saturday !! As a matter of fact I once read that teams with a negative 2 turnover ratio (or greater) in any college game lose at least 80% of the time. That's a SERIOUS COORELATION, no?

Stats matter. I too would be interested in our stats in 85, 88, 01, 04, 05 or just NDSU from past decade.. Maybe I will go get some when I have time.. working now. I know someone here said Sheridan (I THINK it was FUBeAR) had a stat goal for rushing yards of 250 per game. Many of the great coaches do likewise with each unit - if stats don't matter, why do the best coaches break down goals for the OL and each unit by statistics??? I am seriously curious as to your thoughts

(Also, that coach with those stats from 2013.. he was FIRED within a few years - :( :( ... that pertty much says it all. His stats weren't "sustainable"
apaladin liked this
 #44914  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:08 pm
youwouldno wrote:
apaladin wrote:

No one on here is "happy" with the offensive production. Literally everyone on here is seeing the same thing. We watch the games. We get it.

At the same time, we can't get a player at the trade deadline. There's no free agency. We aren't firing a coach midseason. There's no transfer window during the season. We have the coaches and players that we have.

The difference is the "perpetually dissatisfied" would rather sulk and whine than look at the fact that Furman is 4-2 and tied for first in the SoCon. You'd rather look at the average yardage than look at the win total.

You will not, of course, ever mention that the defense is probably the best in the league. You will not highlight that the offense scores more points than the defense surrenders. You will forget the 90 yard run and 58 yard pass in the first quarter and focus only on the inability to move the ball in the 3rd quarter.

It isn't that most of us are "optimists" or satisfied with mediocrity or know the coaches, but that most of us want to enjoy Furman football without a group of you bellyaching about something every 15 minutes.
gman84, FurmAlum, DeepPurple and 4 others liked this
 #44917  by FurmAlum
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:21 pm
Sir William wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:23 am
24-14

…the only statistic from Saturday night that actually matters.
Sort of. For one game you are right. Just win. Beat citadel. Awesome! . However, As others have said during CBF era …… some things aren’t sustainable. During CBF we had some strong D and got to playoffs and won SoCon but eventually he was let go. Why? No offense consistency. Eventually the lack of offense caught up.

One other thing I keep waiting for - helps o- is a good KOR to midfield. Don’t think we have had that. Just like how mckoy got us a short field so would a great KOR

Other teams - Woff etc - have had good returns. Time we get that going. Oh. I did forget the awesome punt tackle. That counts !!!
Whine, Whine, Whine
 #44918  by soconjohn
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 am
It's a cliche' that's true....Scoreboard and Ws and Ls are literally all that matter...Some of y'all sound like Brazilian soccer fans when they beat Venezuela 2-1..The press routinely blasts them for playing boring soccer...Samford is fun to watch offensively...But they're 2-2...Some of y'all should be thanking your lucky stars Richey doesn't take Bennett's approach at Virginia...Even worse, what about Dick Bennett at Wisconsin...He would just assume score 45-50 a game to win...They win, but the PPG and possessions etc would be enough to make this board implode literally....Winning hoops games 45-30 is not the way "fans on this site want to win" despite what Bennett has built there and what his father did at Wisconsin...Decide what you want or how you want...France loves to play attractive soccer and lose 5-4...That's how it once was...Sometimes I think Furman fans also cheer for some of those French soccer teams that were lovable losers from the 50s-80s....Do Furman fans...some on here not all...care about actually winning or does it matter where you rank in conference stats...Because if that's the case, some fans need to start rooting for Samford.
 #44919  by soconjohn
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:04 am
My point is...Just enjoy it for what it is...There's no need to critique every stat in wins....Wins are supposed to be fun...Let it take that natural place...,I love stats and history but ultimately whatever stat or anomalies I find are just that...I am not a coach...so when I find those things...the only thing to do is point them out...Facts don't need criticism to further color them negatively...no enlightened poster has pointed out something riveting on here that an staff at Furman hasn't already addressed so why point it out in the first place.
gman84, Sir William liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.