• This Week In The SoCon

#44690  by furmandad
 Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:16 pm
VMI had 4th and 2 on their own 38 with 5 1/2 min to go in 1st Half and went for it. VMI (back-up) RB long run to the Mercer 10 yard line. Mercer holds VMI to a FG. 24-0 with 4 1/2 min remaining in the half.
 #44691  by furmandad
 Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:19 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:16 pm
VMI had 4th and 2 on their own 38 with 5 1/2 min to go in 1st Half and went for it. VMI (back-up) RB long run to the Mercer 10 yard line. Mercer holds VMI to a FG. 24-0 with 4 1/2 min remaining in the half.
VMI kicking is awful. Last 3 kick offs were squib kicks allowing Mercer to start from around their 40.
 #44692  by furmandad
 Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:27 pm
Mercer misses (another) 35 yard FG after successful 4th down double reverse pass kept Mercer drive going. Half: 24-0 VMI.
 #44696  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:56 pm
Cronic is getting SMOKED in Chronic this week.. wow. This does make the CItadel win over VMI more impressive
 #44721  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:38 pm
Samford let wofford run for 366 yds and get 570 yards total... sammy can score but they can't stop people . man
 #44780  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:37 am
Watched the ETSU/Chatty game - I'm sure we will but we need to get after Tyler Riddell.
The score seems closer than the game actually was. Part of the reason for this is that Chatty doesn't have an explosive offense.
 #44813  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:17 pm
You would think VMI killed Mercer with the pass but not true it was the rush, 306 to 23. VMI qb Morgan only had 82 yds passing. VMI held Mercer to 200 yds total offense. :shock:
 #44820  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
You would think VMI killed Mercer with the pass but not true it was the rush, 306 to 23. VMI qb Morgan only had 82 yds passing. VMI held Mercer to 200 yds total offense. :shock:

VMI looked like it was reading Mercer's playbook.

As I said earlier, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the SoCon adjusts to Cronic. VMI wasn't fooled any sort of way by all of Mercer's misdirection.

VMI also wasn't playing with their two best offensive players, if I recall.
 #44882  by furmandad
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

As I said earlier, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the SoCon adjusts to Cronic. VMI wasn't fooled any sort of way by all of Mercer's misdirection.

Correct; Heres and Jackson DNP.
 #44885  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:02 pm
furmandad wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Correct; Heres and Jackson DNP.
:shock:

um, yeah…one of those has been on the Unable to Perform List for about 40 years now.

*Herres

BTW - watched the 1st half last night. Will reserve full commentary until I can watch the rest.

1st take A - VMI played, schematically, the same D they played in the Spring on 1st & 2nd downs. It’s an effective scheme (8/9 in box), IF you don’t try to and/or are not effective hitting WR’s getting separation from man coverage on quick underneath routes over the middle & just behind LB’s. Also gotta hot route RB’s & TE’s as the Keydets Auto-Blitz ‘their coverer’ if they don’t get into route at snap. QB has to see all of that & respond with delivering ball to right place forthwith. Hard for ANY Team to run effectively vs. 9 in the box.

1st take B - Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Example - 1st play Pick6 - VMI blows coverage & Mercer WR is wide open (quickly) 10 yards behind any Keydet. QB was looking at shorter slant which was possibly open…seemed to start to throw to Slant…saw wide open WR (behind slant) and tried to adjust motion to get ball to deeper WR…fell 1/2way in between…right into the hands of the Keydet who had blown the coverage…who jogged 30 yd’s into the Endzone. Shoulda been an easy 1st play 75 yd TD pass instead of a Pick6. Truly made chicken poop out of a giant bowl of chicken salad! Similar things happened all 1st half - just invisible goblins or something on the field.

1st take C - Mercer’s D tried to play D like they did against Samford & WCU. VMI ain’t those guys. They can run the ball much better than either. Always have been better at it than those…whether stats show that or not…FUBeAR’s eye knows it. Not sure if they adjusted after halftime or not…

Recent Topics

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.