• The Citadel - Oct. 16

#44563  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:45 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:34 pm
I have no idea how Jace will perform the rest of this season.
But, based on Saturday I'm excited as a fan and for him.
I felt his performance got better as the game went on, again a good sign.
Jace also didn't shoulder the load in the performance against Wofford.
He was calm (cool) and managed the game well, and was consistently on target with almost all of his throws.

The Citadel HC mention in Post and Courier's article he wondered how much of the Furman offense does Jace know?
Knowing his background, his coaching prior to getting to Furman, and Clay's comments that Jace gets what we want to do in this offense. This should be a fun ride!

It will be interesting to follow.

If I were the Citadel's coaches, I'd be focused on trying to limit the ability of Wynn/Anderson/Abrams to bludgeon you to death. At the same time, you want to put Furman in predictable passing situations and then make life tough on the freshman signal caller.

Whether the Citadel has the horses on defense to execute that strategy is another question.
 #44565  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:02 am
Sad Din wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:39 pm
Few things hope the coaches are pounding:

1. Dins had 2 weeks to prepare
2. Woffy had no game film on #16
3. Last two years - Dins look great one week and not so good next

What team will show up this Sat?

great points all...

\There is some merit in number one in that if you look at our record after an off week we either do real well or real bad.

Will the film on JW limit the effectiveness or has our O really found soemthing? sometimes a new QB w different skills is truly better. sometimes it just takes a few weeks of film to slow it down.

To number one:
in 2019 after beating Sammy silly 58-14.. we lost to Citadel at home 10-27 after the off week. man, that's a drop off.

in 2018 we were Crushed by Elon 45-7 and then after the off week just did lose to ETSU 29-27 boo ,,that hurt but it was a much improved performance.

in 2017 we were a little more consistent.. (yes, Cronic was here) - we beat WCU 28-6 and after off week KILLED Citadel 56-20.. that was fun !! both were good games but teh Citadel after the bye was much better.

*I have always felt playing two option teams in a row (not that Woff is true option anymore) and having that off week so 3 weeks of option D is a huge advantage for us. Again, it's not like when WOff and CItadel both ran true option variants but it still should help some for the D. two weeks of prep for Woff and then a week to prep for more 'true option' w Citadel. In other words, with that off week added in there, if we are good, we should win this. The D should be really well prepped. 25 points should win it
 #44566  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:45 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:34 pm
I have no idea how Jace will perform the rest of this season.
But, based on Saturday I'm excited as a fan and for him.
I felt his performance got better as the game went on, again a good sign.
Jace also didn't shoulder the load in the performance against Wofford.
He was calm (cool) and managed the game well, and was consistently on target with almost all of his throws.

The Citadel HC mention in Post and Courier's article he wondered how much of the Furman offense does Jace know?
Knowing his background, his coaching prior to getting to Furman, and Clay's comments that Jace gets what we want to do in this offense. This should be a fun ride!

It will be interesting to follow.

If I were the Citadel's coaches, I'd be focused on trying to limit the ability of Wynn/Anderson/Abrams to bludgeon you to death. At the same time, you want to put Furman in predictable passing situations and then make life tough on the freshman signal caller.

Whether the Citadel has the horses on defense to execute that strategy is another question.
Jackal, that is certainly what they did (and worked perfectly) last year... I would be shocked if they did not use that strategy. Let's see how we handle it this year. I am fine with that. Until we can beat it we will see it so we have to learn to beat it sometime - I think having jw as a running threat does open things up for others as you and FUBeAR have described. this game will show us some

will be interesting to see how things go when our running game slows down - how do we handle that if a few consecutive drives we cant get yards on the ground again? (v CItadel or ETSU or whenever..)

I too wonder how much of the playbook we are losing with jw? I am all for him being in there. all for it. I would just rather have him do 7 plays perfectly than 12 plays w errors. Like last week, 0 turnovers, etc ! 1 penalty! only one or two times did I see where he and the RB turned the wrong way. I would hope we add maybe one more play to his 'bookk' this week? keep it simple.

Question - maybe a former player could say more to this? how many plays would a true freshman probably know? would they add one per week? or is that way off?
 #44567  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:16 am
This is what ETSU did to CIT’s D last week…

Rushing Yards 288
Attempts 47
Average Per Rush 6.1
Touchdowns 5

Works for FUBeAR

Coach Sheridan will be there, being honored for his College Football Hall of Fame induction. He would be very proud to witness the Paladins break his/our (then)standard Winning Performance goal of 250 yards rushing every week, especially against the bellhops.
dornb, AstroDin, FU69 liked this
 #44568  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:46 am
Game notes: https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... ackage.pdf

Looks like Ivan Yates is out with a hand injury, opening the door for Micah Robinson. Robinson played well against Wofford, I thought. Dominic Morris is a freshman and also working into the rotation as a backup at both CB positions.

Kam Brinson gets the start at safety. I assume DiMarcus Clay will be unavailable for the first half after the targeting penalty against Wofford.

Not sure the injury status of Dae'one Wilkins. Caden Richards started last week. Answering my question from earlier, they've moved Jalen Miller over from ILB to SPUR, which, I believe, is the position he played when he arrived at Furman.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #44569  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:02 am
^^ I also thought Micah Robinson played a great game - should have been awarded an interception.

I sit next to Caden's parents (his Dad played football at (Wofford), I'm told Caden loves to hit. He's been fun to watch on special teams often the first to make contact on those plays. I expect him to make some plays against an option team.

One thing kinda flying under the radar is the play of Wyatt Hughes at center. I'm not sure of his play count per game but he's rotating a good bit with Jumper.

>>> Devin Wynn obviously deserves attention after his performance against the T dogs. Saturday was also IMO the first performance of a healthy Wayne Anderson. Wayne's been hampered by a hamstring injury. At 5-9 200, Anderson has jets and he was running through tackles Saturday. Looking forward to seeing more healthy Anderson tuns.

I know I sound like a broken record - I'm still waiting to see some Kendall Thomas magic…
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #44576  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:39 am
JohnKX512 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:19 am
The Citadel has only kicked a field goal once this year? Are they that good at scoring TDs in the redzone or do they never get to the redzone?

https://citadelsports.com/sports/football/stats/2021

The Citadel has 17 trips to the red zone. 3rd fewest in the SoCon.

Of the 17 trips, they've scored 13 times. Their 76.5% rate is second worst (I think target would be 80%).

However, of the 13 times they've scored, 12 have been touchdowns. 1 field goal.

So, they don't get to the red zone frequently, they convert at about the lowest rate of any team, but when they do score, it's likely a touchdown.
 #44579  by youwouldno
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:20 am
I imagine that their FG tries are held down by often being behind by a lot of points and also their need to go for it a lot on 4th down, given the offensive approach.
 #44581  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:45 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:20 am
I imagine that their FG tries are held down by often being behind by a lot of points and also their need to go for it a lot on 4th down, given the offensive approach.
Maybe. It probably has more to do with Citadel's defense than their offense.

Furman has a far higher likelihood of attempting field goals in the red zone. The Paladins have the second fewest red zone trips, but the second highest number of attempted kicks.

The Citadel has more red zone opportunities than Furman, but has attempted only 1 kick.

I think the logical explanation is the defense, not the offense. Furman's defense statistically holds teams down to 18-20 ppg. The Citadel's defense is surrendering around 35.

Knowing that, the Citadel probably cannot afford to kick field goals. They have to score touchdowns. Furman can probably afford to kick field goals, because their defense will keep them in the game and give the offense more opportunities to score. The Citadel's defense probably won't.
 #44583  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:12 pm
FUBeAR is gonna ask Coach Occam to put his blade to this conundrum & slice us up a definitive resolution….

Yep …Coach O says the bellhops’ Placekickers, like everything else about the infernal ‘Rattery near the Battery,’ just plain SUCK!

Don’t overthink it.
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #44584  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:19 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FUBeAR is gonna ask Coach Occam to put his blade to this conundrum & slice us up a definitive resolution….

Yep …Coach O says the bellhops’ Placekickers, like everything else about the infernal ‘Rattery near the Battery,’ just plain SUCK!

Don’t overthink it.
Yeah, but he's batting 1.000.
 #44585  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Don’t overthink it.
Jackal…now what did Coach Occam tell us?…

They made a short FG w/the Bellhops leading a D2 Team 35-6…very late in the game.
4th 08:26 CIT - 37 yd field goal 7 plays, 34 yards, TOP 3:29 6 38

…and…

2020-21: place kicker in all 12 games…went 5-of-14 on field goals…so, now 6-of-15 = 40%.

If you are CIT’s HC & you have a 40% chance of making a FG for 3 points or a 50% chance of converting on 4th down, giving you a 71% chance for 7 points, WWJD?

FUBeAR will help…here’s the math…

.40 x 3 = 1.2
(.50 x .71) x 7 = 2.49
2.49 > 1.2

Now, get ‘em choppin’ & give Coach O 20 up downs!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #44586  by JohnKX512
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Don’t overthink it.
Jackal…now what did Coach Occam tell us?…

They made a short FG w/the Bellhops leading a D2 Team 35-6…very late in the game.
4th 08:26 CIT - 37 yd field goal 7 plays, 34 yards, TOP 3:29 6 38

…and…

2020-21: place kicker in all 12 games…went 5-of-14 on field goals…so, now 6-of-15 = 40%.

If you are CIT’s HC & you have a 36% chance of making a FG for 3 points or a 50% chance of converting on 4th down, giving you a 71% chance for 7 points, WWJD?

FUBeAR will help…here’s the math…

.40 x 3 = 1.2
(.50 x .71) x 7 = 2.49
2.49 > 1.2

Now, get ‘em choppin’ & give Coach O 20 up downs!
Who are you, who are so wise in the way of science?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.