• Kelly Bryant

#4451  by sluggo
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:53 pm
Unless Coach Cobweb can brain wash him for us, there is zero chance.
 #4456  by tim
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 am
wcugrad95 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:08 pm
I'll have to try and track that down. In the early to mid-90s, our main WRs (and return guys) were Craig Aiken, Kerry Hayes, and David Patten (who went on to a nice 12-year NFL career). Patten's son is one of our starting WRs this season.

Patten is from Hopkins, SC. Hayes is from Camden, SC. I can't remember where AIken is from. Another stud guy we had in the 90s was TE Andrew Jordan - the last Catamount drafted until this past season. I think he started out at North Greenville - maybe that is who you were thinking???
Kenya Crooks 1997 Finally remembered. Don't know why things like that bug me.
 #4458  by Flagman
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am
If you ever had any doubt about what drives the Greenville News, just check out today’s paper. They used four reporters to cover the Kelly Bryant story. It’s also the large bold headline on the FRONT page.
 #4461  by gman
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:40 am
Flagman wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am
If you ever had any doubt about what drives the Greenville News, just check out today’s paper. They used four reporters to cover the Kelly Bryant story. It’s also the large bold headline on the FRONT page.
I don't blame the G News for the coverage. It was a huge story that deserved the attention. It's Clemson fans that buy the paper. They are only catering to their audience.
 #4462  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:03 pm
It is disgusting that Furman football gets less than 10% of the amount of coverage given to CU or to USC.
 #4463  by Bootie
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:25 pm
affirm wrote:
It is disgusting that Furman football gets less than 10% of the amount of coverage given to CU or to USC.
Not when you consider we likely have less than 10% of that market of readers. As much as we may not like it, the coverage we get is pretty much directly related to the ratio of fans/interest there is in the area.
gman, din23, Fessor and 1 others liked this
 #4465  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:03 pm
I get your point.
How about less than 2%?
Would you say the ratio of Furman followers to CU followers in Greenville not at least 1 to 50?
Would you say the ratio of Furman followers to USC followers in Greenville not at least 1 to 50?
Actually I would say the ratio is at perhaps 1 to 20, maybe higher than 1 to 20, in Greenville, Furman’s home.
Anyway, I still say it is disgusting.
 #4466  by gman
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:36 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:03 pm
I get your point.
How about less than 2%?
Would you say the ratio of Furman followers to CU followers in Greenville not at least 1 to 50?
Would you say the ratio of Furman followers to USC followers in Greenville not at least 1 to 50?
Actually I would say the ratio is at perhaps 1 to 20, maybe higher than 1 to 20, in Greenville, Furman’s home.
Anyway, I still say it is disgusting.
Do the math. Clemson averages 80,000 per game. Furman is at about 5,000. Clemson is winning in big boy football. Furman is struggling in a bad SoCon. The G News knows what pays the bills. It’s certainly not Furman supporters. By the way, I stopped receiving this paper over a year ago. I don’t miss it at all.
 #4467  by sluggo
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:14 pm
affirm wrote:
If FU had beat Clemson then every news outlet in the country would have carried the story.
Furman has to make some news worthy of reporting.

The media is setting a level of relevance.
Beat the teams on this list to become relevant :

This new ESPN page has removed all FCS teams :

http://www.espn.com/college-football/teams

I don't like saying this stuff; but it is what it is.
 #4468  by gman
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:02 pm
It’s a sad fact that nationally, the FCS is becoming irreverent. We need to accept that fact and look for our SID to give us news on the Paladins. You are going to be regularly disappointed if you are waiting on the G News to keep us informed. Heck, they can’t even inform the public on anything that happens after 4:00 each day. The G News is a joke of a newspaper. For real news, read The State or the Post and Courier.
 #4469  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:06 pm
No to The State.
Maybe yes to Post & Courier. I don’t know about the Post & Courier.
 #4470  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:07 pm
No to The State.
Maybe yes to Post & Courier. I don’t know about the Post & Courier.
 #4472  by soconjohn
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:50 pm
If what y'all are saying about the redshirt rule, then no player should never ever have to appeal for a medical redshirt again...It should be automatic...If not, it's unethical.
 #4473  by soconjohn
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:56 pm
Put it this way...The Citadel and SC State get way better coverage than Furman in different media markets...The Citadel and SC aren't separated by much further than Furman and Clemson, yet the Post and Courier is a far, far better news outlet in comparison to its coverage of The Citadel in comparison to GNews coverage of Furman...In fact The State paper covers Furman as well as the GNews.