• Post Wofford Game Thoughts!

#44377  by Flagman
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:39 pm
The woffy coach sounded rather dejected. Did everyone take. One of his last comment about his other QB being done for the year? Sounds like they may be giving up, opting out of the rest of the season.
FUBeAR, QCGlue liked this
 #44378  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:43 pm
Flagman wrote:
The woffy coach sounded rather dejected. Did everyone take. One of his last comment about his other QB being done for the year? Sounds like they may be giving up, opting out of the rest of the season.

I've said this a while, but I was never sold on Conklin. He benefitted early on from inheriting a Mike Ayers' championship caliber team, but has gotten worse every season. Any time you see a lot of attrition with coaches and players, that should be a major red flag about the health of the program.

I think it was also an open secret that Conklin was job shopping this offseason. They then quit on the spring season. From what I saw today, there's not a lot positive going on over there right now.

All that aside, that interview is embarrassing. I know you're disappointed, but that's a Wofford guy doing his job to ask you questions and you are treating him like he's just bothering you.
 #44380  by gman84
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:55 pm
Yep, very awkward interview. Things are definitely trending down at Wofford. The Ayer’s days are definitely over.
FUBeAR liked this
 #44381  by gman84
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:58 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:13 pm
Third down efficiency was 10-15.. win a lot of games with those numbers.
Also win a lot of games when you are 5 for 5 in the red zone, and they are all tds.
dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #44382  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:00 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:58 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:13 pm
Third down efficiency was 10-15.. win a lot of games with those numbers.
Also win a lot of games when you are 5 for 5 in the red zone, and they are all tds.
Furman punted on their first three drives.

Their next six drives ended in touchdowns.
JohnKX512 liked this
 #44394  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 pm
Also, it should be pointed out that in a game where we had a true freshman at QB in his first start, no turnovers and only one penalty on the Paladins, which was on a bogus targeting call on the defensive side of the ball. Jace led a solid, flawless effort - lots of poise for his first start in a must-win game on the road against a rival.

But our work is not done. For us old-school Paladins the real rival will be visiting Paladin Stadium next Saturday. Go Paladins - beat citadel!
dornb, AstroDin, furpop16 and 4 others liked this
 #44397  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:03 pm
This is about as bad as it got today.

Going back, this isn't as bad as it looked in real time. Wofford catches us in a blitz off the back side with the ILB and CB. The blitz forces both safeties to cover the two WRs and vacate the middle of the field.

The penetration is good. Gilby overruns the play a bit and creates the lane. The blitz basically took three of our second and third level defenders and put them in a place where the ball wasn't going.

#44405  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:19 pm
Flagman wrote:
I was actually surprised I knew more than the guy with the questions did about the qb situation. (That’s SCARY). Yes, many of us saw and knew the other starting Qb was out. Pretty sure I saw that when I watched Woff v ETSU. I can see Conklin being irritated at the game and then frustrated at the question.

HOWEVER h.. he is paid a lot money to coach and deal with losing. So frustrated or not he needs to suck it up. Suck it up biatch. I will lose a lot for 300K plus and interview very nicely. Believe me. I’ll lose every week and be super polite for 300k. That would be a freakin DREAM for 99.999% of the world.
 #44423  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:35 am
For a while Friday I thought a wicked sinus infection was going to take me down and I was going to miss my first Furman/Woffy matchup in well a long time. In case you don't know I have a passionate hate for the T dogs. Not just cause my ex-wife was a Terrier cheerleader - well maybe - cause she has rubbed the Terrier's domination of the last several years in my face.

First—I had the good fortune to sit with Mr. & Mrs. Flag and I have to say we had some really good mojo going. We all brought something new to the game (new shirts, new flag)-I advise the three of us to do the same this upcoming Saturday night.

Game Thoughts—I started getting texts early Saturday that Mr. Jace could/would be starting. I started following Jace and his Dad (Mr. Wilson) when Jace was a junior. I've witnessed Texas HS football now firsthand several times. I love HS football in SC but from what I've seen I'm impressed with the width of talent in Texas HS football. I expected Jace to be up to the challenge.

Let me post this here—I had a Wofford fan tell me on the way out that game was what he was afraid of. Furman finding its identity. This isn't an old-school Furman team. Our talkative Wofford friend sees Furman building a team that has a future his team not so much. He was raving about the poise and leadership and calm of Jace Wilson and that beast Devin Wynn.

We used to award POG on the UFFP…
welp, I feel like we cast aside some demons yesterday, so I'm going to give some game balls and a death dealer. I know the death dealer has a history with the Paladin D. But, I'm going to go a different route - it can go to any side of the ball.

Defense
Cujo Coleman - the big dude had a helluva game
Offense
Two game balls. The O Line and Devin Wynn
Death Dealer
Goes to Jace Wilson. Jace was a calm executioner of offense Saturday, he showed remarkable poise against a rival that always seems to have the intangibles on their side.

I hope this game helps calm some fans down—our coaches and players hear and care about what people are saying and have said about them. They voiced that yesterday in the post-game interviews. I have no idea what will happen the rest of the way this season but I believe in one thing. We're going to be fun to watch and this team is going to fight.
FUBeAR, The Jackal, gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #44434  by Davemeister
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 am
Of all the games on the schedule, this is the one I had circled in red as a "must win" if we are going to have any success at all this season.

Great job, Guys! A much-needed win over a much-despised opponent. Hopefully a pivotal game for our program.

"Who Let The Dogs Out?" Not the Paladins!

Now let's go stomp those other 'Dogs this Saturday night.
AstroDin, FUBeAR, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #44437  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:11 am
Astro- do you know if Jace’s parents were there? Hope they made the trip. I’m sure they are beaming with pride today.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.