• Kelly Bryant

#4427  by gman
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:39 am
Looks like he is going to transfer. I wish he would move up the road to the Paladins.
fudriver liked this
 #4428  by MNORM
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:27 am
Question...
How does the fact that he can redshirt play into this? Normally he'd have to sit-out a season if he transferred to another FBS school. But now that he can redshirt the 2018 season (he hasn't played in 4+ games this season) does this mean that he can transfer to another FBS school and play immediately? If this is the case he will NOT be going to Furman, or any other FCS program.
 #4429  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:32 am
The redshirt rule DOES mean he WILL be going to an FBS school.
 #4430  by MNORM
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 am
affirm wrote:
I figured as much...this is how I was interpreting the new rule too. Thanks.
 #4432  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:25 am
affirm wrote:
DAM*(&T. Thought we might have an answer while Grainger matures. Bryant woulda been a killer
 #4433  by wcugrad95
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:03 pm
To clarify, the redshirt rule I don't think lets him go wherever he wants and not sit out. I am pretty sure the redshirt rule gives him the extra year of eligibility, but to go to an FBS school he will have to be a grad-transfer. So the rule is just allowing him to get another year. I believe like many P5 programs, Clemson's players probably take lots of Summer school classes and my bet is Bryant will be a graduate - possibly even in December (but I didn't check that).

And sorry for chiming-in on a non-WCU or SoCon-related thread. But I was on the board since it is WCU week :D
 #4436  by Paul C
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:46 pm
I think he's already got his degree so he will grad transfer to a FBS school and not have to sit out. Would have been great to see him here but that ship sailed when he decided to stay at Clemson and fight it out with Sunshine.
 #4437  by tim
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:49 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:03 pm
To clarify, the redshirt rule I don't think lets him go wherever he wants and not sit out. I am pretty sure the redshirt rule gives him the extra year of eligibility, but to go to an FBS school he will have to be a grad-transfer. So the rule is just allowing him to get another year. I believe like many P5 programs, Clemson's players probably take lots of Summer school classes and my bet is Bryant will be a graduate - possibly even in December (but I didn't check that).

And sorry for chiming-in on a non-WCU or SoCon-related thread. But I was on the board since it is WCU week :D
What was the name of the stud Clempson transfer that ended up at WCU? Maybe in the 90's from Seneca? WR?
 #4438  by wcugrad95
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:08 pm
I'll have to try and track that down. In the early to mid-90s, our main WRs (and return guys) were Craig Aiken, Kerry Hayes, and David Patten (who went on to a nice 12-year NFL career). Patten's son is one of our starting WRs this season.

Patten is from Hopkins, SC. Hayes is from Camden, SC. I can't remember where AIken is from. Another stud guy we had in the 90s was TE Andrew Jordan - the last Catamount drafted until this past season. I think he started out at North Greenville - maybe that is who you were thinking???
 #4441  by soconjohn
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:24 pm
If he's already used a redshirt, unless for medical reasons, it doesn't give you a second redshirt season... Now if he hasn't used his redshirt season already, the rule is applicable...But Dabo's decision to start Lawrence wasn't based on the fact he wanted to give Bryant a place to transfer, it was based mostly on what the numbers say...If Bryant's production would have been close to Lawrence's, then it would have gone later into the season before this decision was made, nixing any hopes of the redshirt rule being applicable. ..I agree that it was good of Dabo to do it now so he could transfer, but how could Dabo what the numbers would be or what the disparity would be at this point in the season...It was a great coincidence that Lawrence's numbers were substantially better at this point to allow him to make a decision...But the new rule, if you have already used up your redshirt season, does not allow a second one...If he has not, then he does not have to sit out next year wherever he goes.
 #4443  by soconjohn
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:33 pm
So he hasn't already used a redshirt year so he can go FBS and not have to sit out if he graduates.
 #4445  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:33 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:08 pm
I'll have to try and track that down. In the early to mid-90s, our main WRs (and return guys) were Craig Aiken, Kerry Hayes, and David Patten (who went on to a nice 12-year NFL career). Patten's son is one of our starting WRs this season.

Patten is from Hopkins, SC. Hayes is from Camden, SC. I can't remember where AIken is from. Another stud guy we had in the 90s was TE Andrew Jordan - the last Catamount drafted until this past season. I think he started out at North Greenville - maybe that is who you were thinking???
nothing to do w WCU but vaguely on topic (ok, maybe not) - a Clemson QB transfer to SoCon... Willie Simmons transferred to play one year Citadel in 90s I think. I know he played a year or so at CItadel. Is now coach at FCS Florida A&M I think
 #4446  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:41 pm
Paul C is correct he is already a graduate, has not red-shirted so as a graduate transfer he can go anywhere and not sit out.
 #4447  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:27 pm