• Wofford - Oct. 9

#44122  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:26 am
Woffraud Coaches Show, if anyone cares to review.

Cheesy media guy says Woffraud is as good as the New England Patriots & then says ETSU is equivalent to a Super Bowl Championship Team.

Then, extra cheesy HC says Woffraud is 1 possession away from a 3-1 record. They are 1-3. Not sure how a Team wins 2 more games on 1 possession, but I’ve heard about “Woffy Math.” I guess that transcends more than just attendance numbers.

Finally, enjoy the super cheesy music playing over 15 minutes of “ETSU game highlights” with no dialogue. Pretty sure the Woffraud Marching Band delivered this inspired performance.

Oh…almost forgot, there is a < 2 minute preview of the Furman game at the end of this mess of a show.
apaladin, FU69, tim liked this
 #44123  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:39 am
I have been looking over Wofford's stats for the year. While nothing really jumps off the page, you can see some similarities with the two teams.

Offensively, the Terriers are a bit like Furman in that the offense goes through fits and starts. Wofford is last in the SoCon in first downs (by a healthy margin) and appears to rely more often on big plays for their scores. That showed up against ETSU, where two 40+ yard touchdown plays kept them in the game.

Defensively, this is not Mike Ayers' defense. This group is surrendering 28 points, 400 yards, and 200 yards a game on the ground.

I know we haven't won in Spartanburg in a while, but I don't concern myself with that. For most of the last 10-15 years Furman has had as bad a run of seasons as they've ever had, while Wofford has been as good as they've ever been.

In my view, Furman is better on offense, better on defense, better on special teams. Not to make too much of one game, but from where we are now, this is a game we need to win.
 #44124  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:57 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Cheesy media guy says Woffraud is as good as the New England Patriots & then says ETSU is equivalent to a Super Bowl Championship Team.

Then, extra cheesy HC says Woffraud is 1 possession away from a 3-1 record. They are 1-3. Not sure how a Team wins 2 more games on 1 possession, but I’ve heard about “Woffy Math.” I guess that transcends more than just attendance numbers.

Finally, enjoy the super cheesy music playing over 15 minutes of “ETSU game highlights” with no dialogue. Pretty sure the Woffraud Marching Band delivered this inspired performance.

Oh…almost forgot, there is a < 2 minute preview of the Furman game at the end of this mess of a show.

Watched the highlights.

Noticeable is how frequently Wofford defenders get shoved down by ETSU blockers. There are at least two plays where the ETSU running back chips a Wofford defensive lineman on a pass protection and knocks him flat on his rear.

Wofford's primary success offensively appears to be getting the QB out on the edge. He's not a great passer, but can run, and the pitch option is a dangerous weapon for them. Frankly, they are running the pitch option from the shotgun like Furman should be running it (but doesn't).

Certainly seemed like they had more success trying to run around ETSU than run at them. ETSU, for their part, looked to be rolling out the "Furman Defense" - clog the middle and force the QB to make multiple accurate throws.

Aside: we can beat ETSU.
 #44125  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 am
A few thoughts after watching the CCH show…

Clay was not asked about the quarterback situation, but, he did mention Shiflett, and that we will see him at WR. Raises my expectations that we will see two quarterbacks this Saturday one way or the other.

This week's show had a focus on the receivers with Ryan Miller as the guest. Joshua Harris was also mentioned as were a few of his catches highlighted.

This past weekend was a big on-the-road recruiting weekend. Clay mentioned how Furman has expanded the recruiting umbrella. It was mentioned that three coaches had flights, not drives. What's changed from recent years is that Furman coaches didn't post where they visited. I'm curious about that? Based on recent offers popping up somebody went to the Mid-West and Southwest.

p.s. I hate Wofford!
 #44129  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:01 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 am
A few thoughts after watching the CCH show…

Clay was not asked about the quarterback situation, but, he did mention Shiflett, and that we will see him at WR. Raises my expectations that we will see two quarterbacks this Saturday one way or the other.

This week's show had a focus on the receivers with Ryan Miller as the guest. Joshua Harris was also mentioned as were a few of his catches highlighted.

This past weekend was a big on-the-road recruiting weekend. Clay mentioned how Furman has expanded the recruiting umbrella. It was mentioned that three coaches had flights, not drives. What's changed from recent years is that Furman coaches didn't post where they visited. I'm curious about that? Based on recent offers popping up somebody went to the Mid-West and Southwest.

p.s. I hate Wofford!
I noticed that the "elephant in the room" topic of QB was completely avoided during the coach's show.

The historian in me went back and looked at the 2014 season. Not a great year record-wise, but Furman did opt to make a QB change 5 games into the season, pulling Dillon Woodruff for PJ Blazejowski, then a freshman, after a series of weak offensive performances.

Blazejowski, I should note, had a banner day that year against Wofford.
 #44130  by DeepPurple
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:58 am
Looking forward to seeing what is put on the field, or lake, Saturday. I believe we are going to come out of this funk soon. I am keeping my glass 1/2 full.
Go Dins!
AstroDin liked this
 #44131  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:30 am
I think I'm correct that Sparkle High no longer plays games on Fridays at Gibbs? I remember the lake when Napier led the Dins to a victory.

In this year's matchup, I see a soggy field as an opportunity for Furman to run the big guys. We also have a more evolved passing game with a lot of possession options; DeLuca, Miller, and Harris, not to discount our runningbacks receiving skills.
DeepPurple, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #44132  by tim
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:53 am
FUBeAR wrote:

I can't watch the show out of fear that those two bulging veins on cheezy woffraud media guy,s neck will explode
FUBeAR, FU69 liked this
 #44135  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:58 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:30 am
I think I'm correct that Sparkle High no longer plays games on Fridays at Gibbs? I remember the lake when Napier led the Dins to a victory.

In this year's matchup, I see a soggy field as an opportunity for Furman to run the big guys. We also have a more evolved passing game with a lot of possession options; DeLuca, Miller, and Harris, not to discount our runningbacks receiving skills.
If the WC field has any kind of drainage the field should not be soggy. Its not going to rain all the time the next few days, just off and on. We got a good rain this morning and now the sun is out.
 #44137  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:03 pm
tim wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:53 am
FUBeAR wrote:

I can't watch the show out of fear that those two bulging veins on cheezy woffraud media guy,s neck will explode
Maybe he should be an SEC Football Coach instead of doing this low-rent media gig in SparkleCity…
 #44142  by FurmAlum
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:38 pm
A few things I would like to see Sat.:

Both QB's

Shiflett catching the ball in the open field. Wynn, too.

A few razzle dazzle plays. ETSU had a 3rd and 9 with 4 min. left on their own 20 with a 6 pt. lead. They ran an end around that gained 45 yds. Game over.

Furman running the ball down Woffraud's throat and then steppping on their neck.
 #44146  by bj93
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:40 pm
I would like to see something from our offense besides forcing a run play up the middle into the teeth of 8 defenders, an "option" run with no option but a very quick pitch, and the dreaded 30 yard pass sideways that nets 2 yards.
apaladin, dornb, MidlandsPaladin and 2 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.