• Wofford - Oct. 9

#44100  by Flagman
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:31 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:17 pm
Don’t know the vendor, but it is ID’d as a “BBQ Tailgate”…

Group Portal Offers
Event Details Section Special Offer Info
Furman Athletics Fund Tailgate At Wofford BBQ Tailgate $10 - Wofford Tailgate Furman Tailgate At Wofford

FUBeAR’s question would be…”Does the $10 include the ticket to the game?” If so, it’s kind of a no-brainer as Woffraud’s site is pretending that anyone would be stupid enough to pay $27 to watch a game from their crappy visitor’s side.
Call me stupid. I forfeited almost $100 in tickets to Tennessee Tech and NC State because of Covid.
 #44101  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:47 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:31 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:17 pm
Don’t know the vendor, but it is ID’d as a “BBQ Tailgate”…

Group Portal Offers
Event Details Section Special Offer Info
Furman Athletics Fund Tailgate At Wofford BBQ Tailgate $10 - Wofford Tailgate Furman Tailgate At Wofford

FUBeAR’s question would be…”Does the $10 include the ticket to the game?” If so, it’s kind of a no-brainer as Woffraud’s site is pretending that anyone would be stupid enough to pay $27 to watch a game from their crappy visitor’s side.
Call me stupid. I forfeited almost $100 in tickets to Tennessee Tech and NC State because of Covid.
Nothin’ stupid about that - both fun towns & cool venues (I liked visiting TTU’s & all but grew up in State’s).

Woffraud’s visiting side should be priced at, “We are grateful for any donation you may find within your heart to make.”

…and, most likely, a Woffy alum gave you Covid - it’s been rampant there since Spring - pretty much a Walking Dead scene around campus.* It was so bad they had to cancel their Spring Football season, y’know.

Woffraud Football Team Captains [NOT] coming out for the coin toss

* BUT - if Woffraud, surprisingly, doesn’t opt out of facing their rivals (not that they are ours, of course) on Sat., all Paladins should attend the game & FU-hosted tailgate!! You are eternally protected from Covid Zombies via the Sign of the <F>
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davemeister, Paladin82, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #44102  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:33 pm
As you all know I am always an optimist. :shock: If we could somehow end the sparkle city curse and then take care of business at home against the Citadel that would set up a huge home game against ETSU. I am in no way predicting 2 wins in a row but just pointing out there is something play for. We still have a chance.
dornb, Affirm, QCGlue liked this
 #44103  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
As you all know I am always an optimist. :shock: If we could somehow end the sparkle city curse and then take care of business at home against the Citadel that would set up a huge home game against ETSU. I am in no way predicting 2 wins in a row but just pointing out there is something play for. We still have a chance.

I am hoping that the coaching staff has used the off week to look at the offense and try to figure out how to get us over the hump.

In our last 8 SoCon games, we've scored 35, 13, 44, 17, 18, 14, 7, and 3 points. The two games where we broke 20 points were against the generally two worst defenses in the conference (WCU and Samford), two teams that really don't stop anyone.

That's not going to get it done. If we keep doing the same things, we'll get the same results.

Our season is still in front of us. Most seasons the SoCon auto-bid has one loss. Our defense can keep us in games. Our offense needs to start carrying some water.
bj93, FU69, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #44104  by bj93
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:35 pm
I was hoping they were going to use the time from 4/18/21 til 9/3/21 to look at the offense and figure out how to get us over the hump. Call me negative if you want , and I pray I'm wrong, but I don't see how if they couldn't figure it out in 4+ months they can figure it out in a week.
furman88, FU69, fupaladin01 and 1 others liked this
 #44105  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:30 pm
bj93 wrote:
I was hoping they were going to use the time from 4/18/21 til 9/3/21 to look at the offense and figure out how to get us over the hump. Call me negative if you want , and I pray I'm wrong, but I don't see how if they couldn't figure it out in 4+ months they can figure it out in a week.
I do not think you can forget that in our four games this year, our offense looked pretty good in two of them.

Our coaching staff has to do whatever it takes to get Devin Wynn loose on Saturday. We've got the best player on the field, but so often it looks like he's trying to fight in a phone booth. Figure out how to get him the ball with some room to run.

I wouldn't hate seeing us give Wilson a shot at QB. He played a good bit last Saturday and has had an extra week to prepare. I think the offense that we want to run needs a mobile QB/run threat. We can't be a team that does so much off option looks if we aren't going to turn the QB loose.

We've eclipsed 20 points in 2 of our last 8 SoCon games. It might just be time to see what else we've got.

I'd also like to see us line the ball up and hit someone. I think our offense has a lot of window dressing and complexity, which is great, but not if it isn't working. I don't care if we turn this into a rock fight, I hate to see this much talent at RB stymied because we are trying to get cute and missing blocks. Line up and drive them off the ball.

Let the dogs eat.

FurmAlum, AstroDin, Paladin575 and 1 others liked this
 #44106  by FurmAlum
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:30 pm
bj93 wrote:
I do not think you can forget that in our four games this year, our offense looked pretty good in two of them.

Our coaching staff has to do whatever it takes to get Devin Wynn loose on Saturday. We've got the best player on the field, but so often it looks like he's trying to fight in a phone booth. Figure out how to get him the ball with some room to run.

I wouldn't hate seeing us give Wilson a shot at QB. He played a good bit last Saturday and has had an extra week to prepare. I think the offense that we want to run needs a mobile QB/run threat. We can't be a team that does so much off option looks if we aren't going to turn the QB loose.

We've eclipsed 20 points in 2 of our last 8 SoCon games. It might just be time to see what else we've got.

I'd also like to see us line the ball up and hit someone. I think our offense has a lot of window dressing and complexity, which is great, but not if it isn't working. I don't care if we turn this into a rock fight, I hate to see this much talent at RB stymied because we are trying to get cute and missing blocks. Line up and drive them off the ball.

Let the dogs eat.

Right. And somehow find a way to get L. Shiflett in there at whatever position. Seems like a huge waste of talent.
dornb, Paladin575, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #44107  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:31 pm
Hard as this is to believe but our rushing game is actually worse than it was in the spring. We averaged 158 ypg in the spring and currently averaging 118 ypg or down 25%. :shock:
 #44108  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
In our last 8 SoCon games, we've scored 35, 13, 44, 17, 18, 14, 7, and 3 points. The two games where we broke 20 points were against the generally two worst defenses in the conference (WCU and Samford), two teams that really don't stop anyone.
Those scoring totals against the SoCon are mind boggling and unprecedented in FU football history. Just pitiful.
 #44109  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:31 pm
Hard as this is to believe but our rushing game is actually worse than it was in the spring. We averaged 158 ypg in the spring and currently averaging 118 ypg or down 25%. :shock:
FWIW - FU has faced the #17 (NCSU - 92.0) FBS Rushing D and the #18 (NCA&T - 95.2), #33 (Mercer - 124.0), and #49 (TTU - 144.2) FCS Rushing Defenses.

Wofford is #103 FCS (197.2).
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #44113  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 pm
So I guess we can expect to be able to run the football come Saturday? FWIW Furman and Sammy have faced 2 common opponents Tenn Tech and Mercer. Pass happy Samford ran for 311 yds on 70 rushes while run oriented Furman ran for 258 on 82 rushes. :shock:
 #44114  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Those scoring totals against the SoCon are mind boggling and unprecedented in FU football history. Just pitiful.
Were you not around for the Bruce Fowler years?
 #44115  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:19 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 pm
So I guess we can expect to be able to run the football come Saturday? FWIW Furman and Sammy have faced 2 common opponents Tenn Tech and Mercer. Pass happy Samford ran for 311 yds on 70 rushes while run oriented Furman ran for 258 on 82 rushes. :shock:
Of course. That makes perfect sense…

Derryberry Hall - the tallest building @ Tennessee Tech University

…it’s obvious to anyone that studies & knows college football. Jeez.
 #44116  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Were you not around for the Bruce Fowler years?
Yes and his offenses were electric compared to current. His last year FU had games of 42, 49 and 52 points.
 #44120  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:14 am
The Jackal wrote:

I am hoping that the coaching staff has used the off week to look at the offense and try to figure out how to get us over the hump.

That's not going to get it done. If we keep doing the same things, we'll get the same results.

Our season is still in front of us. Most seasons the SoCon auto-bid has one loss. Our defense can keep us in games. Our offense needs to start carrying some water.
R I G H T. the other disturbing thing is look at the trend. The 35 and 44 were a while back. Last three games are 14, 7 and 3. SEVEN. AND THREE. If we don’t scoring on someone soon it’s truly worrisome.

to wit, if we lose at Wofford we might not win there from 2006 (?) Until 2023 or 2025 …. That’s mind blowing. If you told me that when they joined the SoCon I woulda laughed. That we could have a chance of going nearly twenty years without winning in sparkleburg??????
FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.