• Oct 2 SoCon Prediculations

#44064  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:38 pm
We scored zero TD’s vs. Mercer. Samford has 5 in 2 and a half quarters at Mercer. Ok make it 4 one was just called back. Mercer is not near as good as FU made them look last week. Still think they beat Sammy cause Sammy has no defense.
We definitely didn't play anywhere near to our capabilities last week.

I realize there are concerns with the offense, but we're better than what we showed.
 #44065  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:38 pm
Sammy as expected lost 45-42. Rolled up 518 yds of offense including 206 rushing averaging 5 yds a carry where FU had under 300 yds and 91 yds rushing averaging less than 3 ypc. More evidence of just how bad the FU offense is. Mercer peeps must not have been impressed with the FU win, Lots of empty seats and stadium was empty in the 4th qtr. much like FU.
 #44066  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:02 pm
ETSU comes back against Wofford.

Citadel knocks off VMI

UTC takes care of WCU.

I suppose one benefit is VMI takes their first loss. I'd have liked to see ETSU take a loss, but the silver lining is we can just about bury Wofford next week in Spartanburg.
Or maybe we will not bury them, just like ETSU did not. Wofford seems too often, ridiculously often, to do better than expected against Furman.
FU69 liked this
 #44067  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:49 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:12 pm
Mocs, Bucs, Bears, Kangaroos
Same…

Chattanooga 52 - WCU 21
VMI 49 - CIT 7
ETSU 27 - Woffraud 14
Mercer 41 - Samford 38
Well, you did great except for “slightly” (ha ha) missing your prediction for the VMI-CITADEL game, which ended up CITADEL 35, VMI 24.
But your other 3 picks were very close to what happened.
 #44068  by FurmAlum
 Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:50 pm
Sammy has one of the worst defenses in college football.

As for Woffy. They could have won today. We better be on our game next week.

Biggest surprise was Citadel over VMI. I didn't see that coming.
 #44069  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:00 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:50 pm
Sammy has one of the worst defenses in college football.

As for Woffy. They could have won today. We better be on our game next week.

Biggest surprise was Citadel over VMI. I didn't see that coming.
VMI is a fraud. They were exposed as such. Peeps give them way too much credit for the spring thingy.
 #44070  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:13 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:58 pm
SoCon is wide open. We just need to figure out how to score some runs.
SoCon is not wide open. It’s a 3 team race. UTC, ETSU and Mercer a long shot. All others have little to no chance. Really think UTC is the favorite and best team on both sides of the ball and the team to beat. No big showdowns next week but ETSU @UTC in 2 weeks will be a biggie.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #44071  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:19 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:05 pm
Wofford had the lead late, but had only 11 first downs, 246 yards of offense, and ran 45 plays. Just looking at the stat sheet, probably should have been a blowout for the Bucs.

Looks like ETSU lost contain on a couple of quick Wofford scores to keep it closer than the stats would suggest.
ETSU KILLED Wofford. Like 250 more yards. Yet I suspect we lose to Wofford in sparky. CBF and CCH (even w Cronic) have never won there. HOPE WE WIN!!
apaladin liked this
 #44074  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:13 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:58 pm
SoCon is wide open. We just need to figure out how to score some runs.
SoCon is not wide open. It’s a 3 team race. UTC, ETSU and Mercer a long shot. All others have little to no chance. Really think UTC is the favorite and best team on both sides of the ball and the team to beat. No big showdowns next week but ETSU @UTC in 2 weeks will be a biggie.

Not sure how you are super critical of Furman, but fail to see UTC's season has largely been similar to Furman's this year.

Both Furman and UTC played top 25 FCS teams in Week 1. Furman won. UTC didn't. Furman looked better.

UTC lost to Austin Peay, which is now 2-3 having just lost to Tennessee State, one of the historically worst teams in their conference. So, Furman's OOC win over A&T is far more impressive.

Both shutout OOC foes in Week 2. Furman beat Tenn Tech while UTC beat UNA. Furman's win was more impressive. TTU won their first game today. UNA is winless.

Both played FBS foes in their third game. Both lost. Admittedly, UTC looked better than Furman did that week.

Furman lost to Mercer. Didn't look great. UTC beat WCU at home, the SoCon's worst team. Furman had the tougher opponent in their fourth game, but lost.

So, today, the two teams have the same record. Furman has the most impressive win (A&T). UTC's two wins are over teams that a combined 0-10.

I'm not suggesting Furman should be a front runner, I just don't see how in your mind UTC is clearly the team to beat and Furman sucks, when based on available evidence they probably need to be clumped together.
 #44075  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:21 am
1. First UTC changed QB’s after that bad loss to AP. Much better now.
2. To say FU’s shutout win is better than UTC’s is debateable. Both teams they shutout are bad.
3. FBS games- to say UTC looked better is an understatement. UTC went toe to toe with a good SEC team that just beat Florida tonight. They could have won. Furman was down 38-0 at half admittedly to a good ACC team but looked horrible.
4. Furman didn’t look great against Mercer? How about they were embarrassed. Couldn’t even score a TD yet Mercer gave up 6 tonight. Yes UTC beat the worst team but they smacked them like they should.

I hope FU wins out as we all do. You just can’t win in a league these days with the worst offense. You just can’t.
Affirm, bj93 liked this
 #44080  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:44 am
apaladin wrote:
2. To say FU’s shutout win is better than UTC’s is debateable. Both teams they shutout are bad.
3. FBS games- to say UTC looked better is an understatement. UTC went toe to toe with a good SEC team that just beat Florida tonight. They could have won. Furman was down 38-0 at half admittedly to a good ACC team but looked horrible.
4. Furman didn’t look great against Mercer? How about they were embarrassed. Couldn’t even score a TD yet Mercer gave up 6 tonight. Yes UTC beat the worst team but they smacked them like they should.

I hope FU wins out as we all do. You just can’t win in a league these days with the worst offense. You just can’t.
Yes. Especially to your entire final paragraph.
 #44082  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:16 am
apaladin wrote:

That's moving the goal posts. You say they are a front runner. Does almost not losing to an FBS team and changing to your backup QB make you a front runner? Did almost not losing to Virginia Tech make Furman a front runner in 2019?

Look, I didn't get the UTC love in the preseason. At this point, they don't look dominant and really haven't beaten anybody worth mentioning in a while.

ETSU is the front runner. It's not close at this point.
 #44086  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:16 am
ETSU, Chattanooga, and Mercer are the front runners. It’s very close at this point & all SoCon Teams are still in the hunt.
FYP
 #44090  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:09 pm
It seems that Sagarin Ratings have a bad reputation on UFFP.
I am not a "ratings snob" (i.e., I do not claim to be familiar with various other ratings systems that exist, etc., which specific ones are better than which specific other ones, which ones are most and least valid, etc.
Even so, I am presenting some Sagarin Ratings info from today.
-SDakota State is highest FCS at 49
-NDSU is next at 73 and JMU next at 75
-skipping some until we get to Kennesaw St @ 131
-The top 2 SoCon teams are ETSU 139 and Mercer 140
-Vanderbilt is 143
-UTC is 147
-FU is 164, putting us at #38 of all FCS teams
-Samford 165
-Wofford 189, VMI 190, Citadel 192, WCU 230
-Of all conferences, the 9-team SoCon is #24 and is the #5 FCS conference, only 0.15 points below the #4 FCS conference (the 6-team, #23 overall Southland, which includes Nicholls, McNeese, Northwestern State, SE Louisiana, Incarnate Word, and #236 Houston Baptist).

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.