• ASUN

#43187  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:43 pm
Reports are that Austin Peay is leaving the OVC for the ASUN.

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/ ... 368189002/

Not sure what this means for the SoCon, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that a new football conference with EKU, JSU, KSU, Austin Peay, and Central Ark. almost certainly would have its sights set on UTC.
 #43907  by mathprofhiker
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 am
Belmont announced today they are leaving the OVC for the Missouri Valley Conference in 2022. Rumor is Murray State is going with them, and their athletic director did nothing to dispel that rumor with his statement last Friday:

https://www.kfvs12.com/2021/09/24/murra ... ement-ovc/

Belmont doesn't play football, but Murray's departure would leave the OVC with only 5 football-playing schools. As a hedge against losing UTC, maybe the SoCon should poach one or more of the OVC's Tennessee schools (Tennessee Tech, Tennessee State, or UT-Martin) and finish the OVC off?
 #43931  by tim
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:08 am
Tenn. Tech would be a good addition.
bj93 liked this
 #43934  by youwouldno
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:03 pm
I don't see how/why UTC would go to the ASUN - the geography for football is less important than for the athletic dept. as a whole, and the full ASUN conference (not just football) is actually more dispersed than the SoCon. But probably most of all, the ASUN is not a good basketball conference, and UTC is not going to move to a conference with a huge basketball downgrade.

The football-playing OVC remnants could try to find another program to pull in or maybe join the Big South?
 #43935  by HB88
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:05 pm
tim wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:08 am
Tenn. Tech would be a good addition.
While convenient geographically and useful for maintaining other Tn schools (ETSU and UTC ), I'm not sure what real benefit TTU would bring. Don't know about all their sports, but Men's Basketball and Football have not been strong for quite some time.
 #43936  by Davemeister
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:23 pm
Since everyone here thinks we won't beat Mercer until Drew makes his next move, we need to bring in another School we can beat.
tim liked this
 #43940  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:58 pm
I wonder what conversations, if any, are going on within the SoCon leadership in Spartanburg and among the various SoCon schools' ADs and presidents.

I wonder by whom and to what extent and how the interests of the SoCon as a whole are being looked after (if at all?) in the situation presently under discussion.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.