• Mercer Press Conference

#43798  by fu77fan
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:39 pm
Clay says that he does not have the answers. You can tell he is frustrated. He says “we need to coach better and practice better.” That does not instill any confidence in me . Yesterday was a continuation of the spring football debacle. I am concerned about the future of Furman football.
 #43803  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:05 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Clay says that he does not have the answers. You can tell he is frustrated. He says “we need to coach better and practice better.” That does not instill any confidence in me . Yesterday was a continuation of the spring football debacle. I am concerned about the future of Furman football.
that is EXACTLY what he said in the spring. he looked tired and that "he didn't have the answers". at least there is honesty
 #43805  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:17 pm
fu77fan wrote:
I feel the same way. Very concerned.
 #43811  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:45 am
I think the simplest answer is that if you keep doing the same thing, you cannot expect a different result.

So, whether they need to change out the QB, or the play caller, or whatever, they are probably at the time where something needs to be altered.
gman84, bj93, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #43814  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:55 am
I suspect we will see some changes in 2 weeks.

Furman has a bye week and then two games where we should be favored. Seems like if you are contemplating changes, this is the week to make them.
To us it seems obvious that you switch QB’s and stuff because, hey, what have you got to lose? But if you are the coaches you might be cautious because if you lose those two games your future looks very grim. Even FU’s asbestos coated seat could become warm. The temptation is to play it safe and make some very minor tweaks. It will take courage to make major changes. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.
Davemeister liked this
 #43842  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:59 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:55 am
I suspect we will see some changes in 2 weeks.

Furman has a bye week and then two games where we should be favored. Seems like if you are contemplating changes, this is the week to make them.
To us it seems obvious that you switch QB’s and stuff because, hey, what have you got to lose? But if you are the coaches you might be cautious because if you lose those two games your future looks very grim. Even FU’s asbestos coated seat could become warm. The temptation is to play it safe and make some very minor tweaks. It will take courage to make major changes. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.
this is what scares me... FCS HC is a very nice paying job (200K+?), maybe they think - 'hey if we could scratch out 4/5 wins we are ok for another year.. '. It takes guts to make a change but if you are gonna do it this probably is the time with the bye week. Long-term even the most conservative person would have to opt for change but might wait for the off-sesason, especially with that durn 5- year Contract !! That duration allows for very slow change and should concern us. A 2-year contract would keep some pressure on. If they can play long-term changes should occur Now. as in today.
 #43862  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:22 am
Thorny wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:54 pm
You can also bet CH isn't satisfied with a 4 to 5 win season.
You would like to think that, but we just went 3-4 and over the summer he didn’t appear to change much of anything. Coaches can justify almost anything. Dabo still thinks he has a great offense!

What he really, really doesn’t want is a two win season, and that is a real risk if he makes too many changes. On the other hand, if he doesn’t make changes he prolly beats the rivals but only wins 5 unless we get some luck. On the third hand, he might make the changes, find out we are pretty good like that, and run the table.

I think he’ll be conservative. We’ll go out there and squeak by awful Wofford and Citadel teams and all thoughts of changing anything will be gone. We’ll beat an awfuler VMI get our 5 W’s and say wait till next year. He can then relax. Jackal will convince me once again that our talent level is Alabamaesque, others will remind me that we have Mt. Rushmore level coaches and come September we’ll try it again. What 4 more seasons and CH retires. We don’t want him to leave now because I’m pretty sure I know who we would get.
 #43866  by youwouldno
 Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 am
The Paladins aren't heavy favorites in any of their remaining games. Wofford isn't great, but their win at crappy Elon is still better than either of the Paladins' wins, and that game is in Spartanburg. The easiest are Citadel at home and @ WCU.

The computer projections come out in between 4 and 5 wins, which makes sense.
 #43876  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:01 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 am
The Paladins aren't heavy favorites in any of their remaining games. Wofford isn't great, but their win at crappy Elon is still better than either of the Paladins' wins, and that game is in Spartanburg. The easiest are Citadel at home and @ WCU.

The computer projections come out in between 4 and 5 wins, which makes sense.
Wofford appears to be down but what are we? Not exactly flying high. We have not won in Sparkle City in 15 years. Citadel was 1-9 last year and have won 2 in a row and held us to one TD both games. WCU can score and will be hungry at home. There are no easy games for this FU team. Winnable yes, easy no.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.