• Coach8ng Bad vs. Good

#43696  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:45 pm
ThevBad- Furman first series: a manageable 3rd and 7 at the Mercer 30. FU throws the ball 40 yds across the field, 30 yds deep t9 the goal. In other words a pass that has virtually no chance for success. Settle for FG.

The good- Mercer first series: Runs it down FU’s throat for forty yards, sucks FU in then throws it over the top for an easy pitch and catch TD.
It got worse after that. To say Furman was out coached today is a huge understatement, Kudos to Cronic for easing up in the second half out of respect for CCH. The final score could have been much worse if Cronic wanted it to be.
FU69, Affirm liked this
 #43700  by FU3
 Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:50 pm
Don’t know what game you were watching but Cronic kept his starters in the whole time and was attempting 40 yard posts with under 6 minutes to play. Ol Drew was going for the throat today no doubt about it.
 #43712  by El Guapo
 Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:07 pm
Credit to the defense for holding them to 3 points in 2nd half. Mercer definitely wanted a lot more than that.
 #43714  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:50 pm
Don’t know what game you were watching but Cronic kept his starters in the whole time and was attempting 40 yard posts with under 6 minutes to play. Ol Drew was going for the throat today no doubt about it.
After their last FG, they had 3 possessions 14 plays, 3 passes 11 runs. No passes the last 2 possesions. Not exactly trying to run it up to me.
 #43720  by FU3
 Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:12 pm
Well the 2nd stringers who were stretching on their sideline while they were up by 3 TDs in the 4th quarter may have had a slightly different take. Those runs were hitting the edges, this was no let’s empty the bench fest. Thought it was pretty surprising.
 #43729  by soconjohn
 Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:37 pm
I didn't see anything wrong with what Mercer did...I didn't think they were "running up the score"...This isn't a game of "play nice"...I mean, Furman didn't play well.
gofurman, FU69 liked this
 #43731  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:55 am
soconjohn wrote:
I didn't see anything wrong with what Mercer did...I didn't think they were "running up the score"...This isn't a game of "play nice"...I mean, Furman didn't play well.
Exactly. First string. Second string. Passes v runs. We got shellacked. This ain’t 2nd grade participation-trophy time. Kudos to Mercer. While appreciate some class in not going all “Spurrier” 70-7. on ball state…. We need to shut up and get better.

“Nut up or shut up” as they say

We need to improve. Fast. The issue is how do you improve fast with same players and coaches?
apaladin, furmandad, FU69 liked this
 #43732  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:01 am
soconjohn wrote:
The bigger problem is we haven’t played well since 2019
 #43742  by FU3
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:31 am
soconjohn wrote:
I was responding to apaladin’s claim that Mercer could have scored at will on us. I don’t think Cronic did anything particularly wrong but I was surprised he kept his starters in the 4th quarter and took some shots deep into the game up by 3 TD’s. I think most opposing coaching staffs remember things like this.
 #43743  by Sad Din
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:32 am
Here's the deal and why the seat just got very hot for the current staff-
There has been zero, nada, nilch improvement in the O since last year or the year before. In fact, one can argue that it has gotten worst

Dins just lost AT HOME by 3 TDs to a relatively new program started by a Dins alum fired by FU. Now led by former Dins asst with less than 2 years at the helm
O Line play continues to be an issue and Oline is the HC specialty.

Dins have had top recruiting classes over the last few years so talent is not an issue.
Dins have had $1M supporters last two years so dont say its lack of support
Facilities including weight room have been recently upgraded so its not facilities

What more is needed?
bj93, FU69 liked this
 #43747  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:22 am
I don’t think the seat is hot. I don’t think anybody cares anymore. They’ve figured out how to bring in a crowd to spend beautiful Fall days at the FU campus whether the team is any good or not. The coach is pleasant enough and is unlikely to do anything embarrassing. And we will stumble into some wins. We can blame the losses on a close play here and there, poor execution, cheating refs, high academic standards etc. Every few years we will even make a brief playoff appearance. When the coach retires, we can bring in one of Fowler’s guys to take over keep it going. It’s all good.
 #43749  by FU3
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:44 am
We are 0-4 in our last 4 Socon games. Mercer is a good but not great team and we weren’t very competitive yesterday. Fortunately we have a bye week and an opportunity for our staff to make some changes, the spring season problems on O have not miraculously disappeared. After that we face the worst Wofford team in at least the past 10 years and a genuinely bad Citadel team. If we are going to get better and give this team a little confidence this is the opportunity.
tim, FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.