• Mercer Game Thread

#43716  by FU3
 Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:03 pm
:shock: The rumors are true.. Good Knight is ALIVE!!
 #43717  by FU3
 Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm
:? :shock: :? :shock:
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:49 pm
Just some thoughts and facts for comparison and consideration.
    Mercer has over 9,000 students.
      Furman has 2,700 students.
        The state of GA has 4 FBS teams, plus 2 FCS, a total of 6 D-1 programs.
          The state of SC has 3 FBS teams (very good ones), plus 6 FCS, a total of 9 D-1 programs.
            The population of GA is 10.7 million.
              The population of SC is 5.1 million.
                Mercer is in the middle of GA.
                  Furman is far from the middle of SC.
                    Mercer has about 70 Georgia players on its roster.
                      Furman has 10 SC players on its roster. (and about 25 Georgia players, by the way)
                        Mercer has about 5 players who come from a state that is not GA or a state adjacent to GA.
                          Furman has about 59 players who come from a state that is not SC or a state adjacent to SC.
                            Furman is quite close to Clemson and quite close to 2 of the other FCS schools.
                              Mercer is not quite so close to Athens nor to the 1 single other FCS school.
                                Furman has an outstanding band.
                                  Mercer has a good band that can obviously afford the time and the money required to be able to travel to football games hours away. (It was nice to have them.)
                                    Today was a beautiful day for football at Furman.
                                      Today was not a beautiful day for the Furman football team.
                                        Mercer plays at home next week in an important game.
                                          Furman has no game next week and has to go away (though just 35-40 miles) for their game the following week.

What to make of all the above? I don’t know. I’ll continue to think.
                                          :shock:
                                          FU69 liked this
                                           #43719  by apaladin
                                           Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:07 pm
                                          bj93 wrote:
                                          Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:56 pm
                                          Our offense will score as many touchdowns next week as it has in the last 2 games.
                                          Not true. We scored one the last 2 games albeit against a 4th team d. Us Furman faithful should have learned by now that winning against bad teams is no reason to get our hopes up. Just a thought when was the last time Furman beat a good football team?
                                           #43746  by cavedweller2
                                           Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 am
                                          I blame the grey jerseys. Burn them.
                                          Furmanoid, QCGlue, FU69 and 1 others liked this
                                           #43753  by apaladin
                                           Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:55 am
                                          cavedweller2 wrote:
                                          Was thinking the same thing. Was 1-0 in the new purple ones.
                                          FU69 liked this
                                           #43913  by FU69
                                           Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:40 am
                                          cavedweller2 wrote:
                                          Amen! ALMOST equivalent to the black ones at homecoming loss to Samford (0-45) not so long ago.
                                          LEARN from history.
                                          Almost impossible for my aging eyes to see numbers on jerseys. :(
                                           #43914  by The Jackal
                                           Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 am
                                          apaladin wrote:
                                          Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:07 pm
                                          bj93 wrote:
                                          Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:56 pm
                                          Our offense will score as many touchdowns next week as it has in the last 2 games.
                                          Not true. We scored one the last 2 games albeit against a 4th team d. Us Furman faithful should have learned by now that winning against bad teams is no reason to get our hopes up. Just a thought when was the last time Furman beat a good football team?
                                          I still think the NC A&T win will be impressive by year end. They crushed NC Central on Saturday and are still one of the better ooc wins for any SoCon team right now.

I know it feels like the season just ended Saturday, but Furman is 2-2. Yes, they lost a SoCon game. That happens most seasons.

Over the last 20 years or so, only a handful of teams were able to run the table in SoCon play (6, I think). Most of those teams were the electric App State teams of the mid-2000s. Since 2009, it's happened only twice (UTC in 2014, Citadel 2016).

Put differently, in nearly every season over the last 20 years the team that won the SoCon lost a conference game. In four of those seasons, they lost two. So, while Saturday was disappointing, it wasn't the end of the line.

All we can do now is worry about getting better and locking in on Wofford. Go 1-0 next week.
                                          FUpaladin08, FU69 liked this
                                           #43928  by FUpaladin08
                                           Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:01 am
                                          ^^^AMEN

I know the doom and gloom is more about how we lost and not just that we lost. I know the team isn’t quitting after one loss so I sure won’t.
                                          FUBeAR, FU69 liked this
                                           #43941  by Affirm
                                           Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:02 pm
                                          FU69 wrote:
                                          cavedweller2 wrote:
                                          Amen! ALMOST equivalent to the black ones at homecoming loss to Samford (0-45) not so long ago.
                                          LEARN from history.
                                          Maybe the grey ones were the exact same black jerseys, they had just been washed a bunch of times. Keep washing.
                                          FU69 liked this
                                           #43950  by JohnKX512
                                           Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:40 pm
                                          affirm wrote:
                                          Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:02 pm
                                          FU69 wrote:
                                          cavedweller2 wrote:
                                          LEARN from history.
                                          Maybe the grey ones were the exact same black jerseys, they had just been washed a bunch of times. Keep washing.
                                          Now we just put those grey jerseys in with a red sweater, back to purple. Easy fix during a bye week.

OR we just go back to leather helmets and purple target jerseys and beat up on Sewanee and Davidson like the good old days

Any uniform is great when you win in it, except Mercer's. Orange is in every team I do not like. Mercer seems to have picked the perfect orange to match the construction and traffic vests that they will be wearing after graduation.
                                          FU69, Riz Dawg liked this
                                           #43965  by FurmAlum
                                           Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:26 pm
                                          I never want to see the grey jerseys again. Same for the grey pants.

Our colors are purple and white. What logical reason would we want to wear grey jerseys or grey pants?
                                          bj93, Davemeister, Paladin575 and 2 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.