• MERCER

#43495  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:48 am
Scanning the stats this morning. There's not too much to be gleaned from the numbers yet considering the small sample size and unbalanced schedules.

A few things stood out though:
  • Mercer hasn't attempted a field goal yet this season. Furman has attempted 9. So, you might give Furman advantage on special teams having already attempted a bunch of kicks where Mercer hasn't had to execute one.
  • Despite playing three pretty stingy defenses, Furman has surrendered only two sacks this year. That's a huge improvement.
  • Furman is still +3 in turnover margin. Again, improvement.
 #43497  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:05 am
a few things on the depth chart…

Noah Henderson has moved to TE - Jackal has already called this he played H back in the NCST game.
Jace Wilson is back on the depth chart listed as #3.
Parker Stokes is listed as the backup at DT behind Lewis.
Wayne Anderson, I'm guessing is still not 100% from his hamstring injury. He's on KR duty but not listed on the depth chart at TB.
 #43499  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 am
Just noticed another slightly new offensive wrinkle.

Passing situation. Furman is in a 2x2 formation (which itself is pretty unique for Furman). I believe the receiver to the bottom of the screen is Henderson. Depending on whether you want to classify Henderson as a WR or TE, Furman has 3 or maybe 4 WRs on the field at one time (Harris, Deluca, Bell, Henderson). Over Hendrix's tenure, a 3WR set has been rare. I'm not sure I've seen a 4 WR set.

Hard to tell with the camera angle, but it looks like the receivers are running mirrored routes - the top two guys are running the same combination as the bottom two.

Interesting look from Furman, especially with Roberto hovering in the backfield. If you have Miller out there too, that's a lot of solid pass catchers all while maintaining the threat of the fullback inside run.

#43561  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:20 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:45 am
Beautiful "catch" by WR.

Regardless - the WR SMOKED our DB with beautiful body contortion. State was just too big and fast.

To my point about being LONG TERM - you give that time to throw and that body control to a WR they might score, well, 45. Lol
 #43562  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:36 pm
For those interested in such things, Mercer’s @ Furman Game Notes are here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites ... Furman.pdf

A couple of points of note…
* Looks like CCU Transfer, QB Fred Payton, is getting the Start again. He got his 1st Start @ Alabama, despite what the Game Notes say. FUBeAR expects to see Spring 2021 SoCon All-FR Team QB, Carter Peevy, play meaningful snaps also. Peevey’s Dad was an OLman @ Furman, btw. It’s a thing. ;-)
* Seems Mercer will work Spring 2021 Starting TE & Xfer from L-R, Drake Starks, back into the lineup after he was sidelined in the Bears 1st 2 games. Starks had 3 catches for 69 yards vs. FU in the Spring matchup. His overall stats from last season are below..
G REC YD TD Lg R/G Y/C Y/G
8 11 220.0 2 75 1.4 20.0 27.5
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #43563  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 pm
What’s shocking is thinking back to just 2019 when we KILLED Mercer 45-10. They had no answer for our offense and running game.

That’s what was so odd about the spring … our running game was non existent vs most teams . It was stunning the difference. As many have said I thought Chronic could bring O to Mercer (though not that fast) but their D should not have improved that much. . This game will give a clue as to whether the spring was an aberration or not. FU vMercer won’t tell everything but I do think we will have a much better idea come Sat night
 #43567  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:21 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 pm
What’s shocking is thinking back to just 2019 when we KILLED Mercer 45-10. They had no answer for our offense and running game.

That’s what was so odd about the spring … our running game was non existent vs most teams . It was stunning the difference. As many have said I thought Chronic could bring O to Mercer (though not that fast) but their D should not have improved that much. . This game will give a clue as to whether the spring was an aberration or not. FU vMercer won’t tell everything but I do think we will have a much better idea come Sat night
Agree gf, this game is huge to say the least. A win renews hope and maybe we can forget the spring. A loss and the spring shows its ugly head again we could be headed for our second straight losing season. Of course the biggest difference in 2019 and spring of 2021 is Cronic was not there in 2019.
 #43568  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:44 am
Just watched the first half of the Mercer/Alabama game and it really didn’t feel like the score shoukd be 31-0. A blocked punt for a TD and a tipped pass that set up a short field was ‘Bamas first 2 TD’s. They had another drive of 14 yds that was set up by a short punt, return and 15 yd penalty on first down Was very impressed with the way Mercer was able to get pressure on the Alabamas QB and stay with their receivers. Compare that to FU’s game Saturday when the NC St qb had all day. Offense couldn’t do much but the MU defense was impress8ve. I think we will have trouble moving the ball Saturday.
 #43569  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:34 am
FUBeAR wrote:
For those interested in such things, Mercer’s @ Furman Game Notes are here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites ... Furman.pdf

* Looks like CCU Transfer, QB Fred Payton, is getting the Start again. He got his 1st Start @ Alabama, despite what the Game Notes say. FUBeAR expects to see Spring 2021 SoCon All-FR Team QB, Carter Peevy, play meaningful snaps also. Peevey’s Dad was an OLman @ Furman, btw. It’s a thing. ;-)
* Seems Mercer will work Spring 2021 Starting TE & Xfer from L-R, Drake Starks, back into the lineup after he was sidelined in the Bears 1st 2 games. Starks had 3 catches for 69 yards vs. FU in the Spring matchup. His overall stats from last season are below..

I had not noticed this on first read through, but Mercer is -4 turnovers through 2 games. The Bears have turned it over 5 times in two games. That isn't just an Alabama effect either, as 3 turnovers came against Point.

That may be a big part of the game to watch. Furman has done a good job this season of limiting turnovers and the defense has been strong in forcing them. Mercer, at least in their first two games, has looked prone to putting the ball on the turf (5 fumbles in 2 games) and throwing interceptions (3 of them).

I'm not sure this is a game Mercer can afford to go -2 on turnovers and expect to win.

As far as the game within the game, I think the matchup to watch is Cronic against Vaughan. Mercer runs the ball effectively twice as much as they throw it, and Furman has one of the nation's top rush defenses.
 #43571  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:33 am
5 MU Turnovers…
1 INT - Back-up QB rollout pass just tipped by 6-5 OLB right into Defender’s hands (AL)
1 INT - bad ball thrown by starting QB (AL)
1 Fumble by Back-up RB (Point)
1 Fumble by 3rd Team QB (Point)
1 INT - Back-up QB perfect pass - clank off Back-up Retriever’s hands right into Defender’s (Point)
 #43574  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:33 am
5 MU Turnovers…
1 INT - Back-up QB rollout pass just tipped by 6-5 OLB right into Defender’s hands (AL)
1 INT - bad ball thrown by starting QB (AL)
1 Fumble by Back-up RB (Point)
1 Fumble by 3rd Team QB (Point)
1 INT - Back-up QB perfect pass - clank off Back-up Retriever’s hands right into Defender’s (Point)

I mean, that is sort of misleading.

The interception against Point came on Mercer's first possession of the season. Call them "backups," but it was the guys Mercer had in the game literally to start the season.

One fumble against Point was by a running back that has nearly as many carries as the starter. Again, he may be a "backup," but he gets the ball a lot. Again, first quarter. Not mop up duty.

Based on available evidence, Mercer has been been pretty loose with the football. That may not continue, and the sample size is small, but at the moment, that's what the available data says. They happen to be playing a team tomorrow that's pretty good at forcing turnovers.
 #43580  by tim
 Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:

They are young!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.