The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:51 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:21 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:47 am
If FU and A&T win, then we are probably pretty dang good.

If they both lose, then I feel like that indicates that we are probably about like we were in the Spring. No compelling evidence of dramatic improvement. But still good enough to win the SoCon with lots of luck.

I realize I'll be called an optimist, but we look a lot better than we did in the spring. A lot of little things that were consistently problematic in the spring look like they have been addressed. We still have some execution issues on offense, but I think we've improved significantly.

I expect by season's end the A&T win will look like a good victory for us. Based on what I've seen the first few weeks, it would not surprise me to see NC State as the ACC front runner.
Front runner? I’ll admit I thought they were good after they blew out USF but it turns out USF is awful. Then they looked bad against a mediocre Miss State. Sure they blew out the Paladins but that isn’t enough to make them ACC favorites. This would be the year for somebody to knock of Clemson, but I think they would be more vulnerable in the Big Sky than in the ACC.
Whose your frontrunner?

Clemson's scored two touchdowns in 8 quarters against FBS teams.
Duke lost to Charlotte.
GT lost to Northern Illinois and then almost beat Clemson
Miami has been throttled both by Alabama and Michigan State
Florida State lost to an FCS team and is winless.
Pitt lost to Western Michigan
VT lost to West Virginia
Louisville dominated by Ole Miss
UNC started as a top 10 team and lost in their opener

I mean, as best I can tell, there's not a whole lot to get excited about with the ACC. NC State seems like they have as good a shot as anyone.
RE: Duke lost to Charlotte.
UofSC’s 2022 football schedule was published yesterday. Sports writer for The State wrote that their home game against Charlotte next year is one the Gamecocks should be concerned about losing.
 #43528  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:56 pm
I think the ACC Week 4 thread is on another forum. Let us not get too distracted fellas.
 #43539  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 am
These are actually three pretty big games in SoCon play.

Mercer trying to establish itself among the SoCon front runners. They go into Greenville where they have struggled to win since restarting football. This would be a big win for Furman.

Samford has one SoCon win in the barn, but it came against the weakest team. They play the Bucs, who play a brand of football that Samford really struggles against - physical on both sides of the ball.

ETSU has been impressive, but their last two games have come against much weaker competition. They did beat Vandy, and that itself is impressive. Vandy is not very good. Their only win this season came against Colorado State, who also lost to an FCS team. I look at Vandy's schedule and see only one more likely win - UConn (who isn't really even playing competitive football right now).

Wofford/VMI is also big. The Terriers have not looked good recently and were embarrassed at home by Kennesaw State (who I think is overrated). By quitting last season, I think Wofford avoided being exposed as an emperor wearing new clothes. There's nowhere to hide now.

I think VMI is probably not as good as they were in the spring. They are still well coached and play a tough and physical brand of football.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.