• Injuris..

#43469  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:37 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:27 pm
agree about Shiflett ^^ ^

Concerning QB how will the coaches use Shiflett the rest of the season? he looked calm and was up for the moment Saturday. that's a good sign.

The coaches want to redshirt Jace Wilson now comes the strategic part which four SoCon games do you play Wilson?

As I watched the game Saturday, I came away thinking that it may be worth giving Shiflett some more time.

Thought process: Furman's overall offensive goal needs to be to find ways to get Wynn and Roberto room to run. The offensive strategy should then try to figure out the best way to reach that end.

Does Shiflett give us a better opportunity to add elements to the run game to reach the stated goal? I don't know what he'd look like throwing the ball 20 times, but he's certainly a quick twitch runner that would give defenses one more thing to worry about in the run game. At this stage, our passing game isn't exactly electric, so maybe going with a guy that elevates the rush attack is the right play.

I was interested to follow Darren Grainger's night Saturday in their win over Charlotte. It sort of goes a bit to my point. The Panthers had lost two blowout games and were facing an undefeated Charlotte team. Grainger got the start.

He was 6/12 (50%) for 139 2 TD and 1 INT. This would have been a pretty typical stat line for him while at Furman.

What's interesting is that GSU primarily used him as a runner. He had 16 rush attempts for 64 yards. So, he ran the ball more times than he threw it.

On the throws, they weren't complex. No real read. No real need to work through progressions. Just on step, one target, launch. On the first play on the video, GSU has 8 blocking and only 3 receivers - two running a fly route and a back leaking out of the backfield.

GSU was able to mitigate some a good athlete who isn't necessarily a polished passer. Use the things he does well and focus on that.

As applied to Furman, we have a ton of pistol/option stuff in the playbook. Would playing Shiflett add one more runner for the defense to have to key on and let Wynn/Roberto get loose?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.