• MERCER

#43392  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:02 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am
I don’t see how gofurman said anything all that horrible. Most people would agree that there are two main independent variables (coaching and player quality) that determine the dependent variable: the score. If one group is superior in one of those variables (talent) and still loses, then it is very logical to assume that they are lacking in the other variable. It may be wrong because the assumption of superior talent is wrong, but it isn’t illogical. The weather, refs, Covid etc all have to be assumed to impact both teams equally, otherwise just don’t play.

I’m not sure what to do with the execution argument. Sure players have good days and bad days. That is a huge thing in tennis or golf. But a team is >22 individuals. The good days and bad days of the individuals should cancel each other out unless they were all out at a keg party and that becomes a coaching issue.

If it is actually important to win the conference and stuff like that, then it seems like at some point SOMEBODY has to be accountable. Players or coaches or both. But I’m actually at the point of saying who cares as long as we are at least respectable. Just blame the weather and give me another beer.
Didn’t say “horrible.” Said “ludicrous,” because it is.

In order for the statement to be true, you 1st have to accept the premise that Furman has superior talent to Mercer. Completely subjective. We know Alabama has better talent than Mercer & we know NCSU has better talent than Furman, but FUBeAR doesn’t know that anyone posting here knows that Furman has discernibly better talent than Mercer. And…please….do not give me previous FCS Recruiting Class Rankings as justification. If you don’t know those are 95% BS, then you really aren’t qualified to have an opinion about anything to do with the actual game of Football in FCS. The debate about which of the 2 Teams has more talent can go on until the cows come home. Maybe, perhaps, possibly, by the 8th or 9th game of this season, that debate can be closer to being settled, but anyone here that thinks that is ‘settled science,’ at this point, is delusional.

Then, IF we are naive enough to accept this completely subjective premise, and IF Mercer happens to win Saturday, we must “concede” that the only possible variable that could have produced that outcome is that Furman has an inferior Coaching Staff. I could make a list of 1,001 other variables which COULD play a larger role in the outcome of a single game than the conclusion that I have been advised I must concede, IF I accept the subjective premise and IF Mercer happens to win the game.

IF Mercer happens to win this game, I will only concede that the Bears were the better Football Team on 9/25/21; nothing more & nothing less…unless the SoCon Officials actually decide to insert their ineptitude to such an extent that they, essentially, determine the outcome of the game…which, regrettably, has happened.

No sir, FUBeAR will take the long view and let things like SoCon Championships & Playoff appearances speak for themselves at the end of the season & at the end of multiple seasons.
DeepPurple liked this
 #43394  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:36 pm
We are largely in agreement. The assumption that underlies goFurman’s conceptual model is that Furman has more talent. Some posters consider our talent level through the roof. I never bought that. I think it’s pretty good. As you say, it is very hard to assess. The whole system of handing out stars is suspect, but when you get down to 3 stars it would seem to be total guesswork. But even if we concede that the teams have equal talent (no FU advantage) then the factor most likely to explain a loss would have to be coaching. No, not the only possible factor, but the most likely factor. If Mercer has superior talent, then ok, it ain’t the coaches’ fault (except why would Mercer have superior talent?)

I would also point out that being out coached by Mercer wouldn’t really be shocking because that guy out coaches most people.
We’ll see. I think every game is a toss up. I predicted a blowout of TTU and a possible win against NC State. I have now recalibrated.
 #43395  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:50 pm
As expected FU dropped out of the coaches poll to #30 one spot behind VMI. I guess losing to NC State by 38 is worse than losing to Kent St. by 50. ETSU and UTC are the only SoCon teams in the top 25 at #17 ans #23 respectively.
 #43396  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:50 pm
As expected FU dropped out of the coaches poll to #30 one spot behind VMI. I guess losing to NC State by 38 is worse than losing to Kent St. by 50. ETSU and UTC are the only SoCon teams in the top 25 at #17 ans #23 respectively.
Furman was behind Central Arkansas in the STATS poll.

Central Arkansas was 0-2, Furman was 2-0. Central Arkansas had lost by two scores to a top 25 team. Furman had beaten a top 25 team by two scores. So, not sure of that thought process.
 #43397  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm
Cool picture on the upper right.

Looking at the photo, I probably underestimated how big McKoy is.
Last edited by The Jackal on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPurple, QCGlue liked this
 #43398  by DeepPurple
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:00 pm
After a tough spring, I am thankful to be 2-1 and heading into conference play. We are relatively healthy and we are home. The weather looks great for Saturday in Paladin stadium.
Davemeister, FUBeAR, cavedweller2 and 6 others liked this
 #43400  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:08 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
After a tough spring, I am thankful to be 2-1 and heading into conference play. We are relatively healthy and we are home. The weather looks great for Saturday in Paladin stadium.
CCH said Stokes should be ready for Saturday. Dropped to #31 from #26 in Stats poll. ETSU #25, VMI #22 and UTC #29.
dornb liked this
 #43401  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:08 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
CCH said Stokes should be ready for Saturday. Dropped to #31 from #26 in Stats poll. ETSU #25, VMI #22 and UTC #29.

As coach noted, we've got everything we want in front of us.
DeepPurple liked this
 #43405  by FurmAlum
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:53 pm
Just a couple observations:

1. Cronic is a good coach but he hasn't been successful long enough at the FCS level to be considered a better coach than Hendrix or Quarles. One good season at FU as offensive co-ordinator with a senior quarterback does not make him the second coming of Nick Saban.

2. Why would Quarles show his whole playbook in the TTU game after it was obvious we were going to shut them down defensively? As for N.C. State, same thing for a different reason.
FUBeAR, gman84, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #43406  by Jasper
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:06 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:53 pm
Just a couple observations:

1. Cronic is a good coach but he hasn't been successful long enough at the FCS level to be considered a better coach than Hendrix or Quarles. One good season at FU as offensive co-ordinator with a senior quarterback does not make him the second coming of Nick Saban.

2. Why would Quarles show his whole playbook in the TTU game after it was obvious we were going to shut them down defensively? As for N.C. State, same thing for a different reason.
Great news. So we can forward to seeing the whole Quarles playbook this week? Can’t wait. I give up.
gofurman liked this
 #43407  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:31 pm
I’m not about to compare Mercer’s games vs Point and Bama (might be the best and worst teams in football) to Furman’s first three games. It’s just a waste of time. Offense has to be better and the defense needs to keep up the same intensity. We’ve said here before, just need better execution on the plays Quarles has drawn up for the guys. Glad to be at Home, not excited Mercer is coming off a bye, but mostly happy to be 2-1. I wouldn’t have to look very far back to see all of our 0-3 predictions on another thread. S’go get the SoCon title already.
din23 liked this
 #43408  by soconjohn
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:40 pm
Saturday was tough...But it's time to regroup and not dwell on that game...Furman should be thankful to have an offense that has issues that can be fixed...Other schools in this general area can't say the same...Mercer is good...Coach Cronic will have those guys ready...I think the biggest difference for me is how well they play defensively...Pretty much everyone knew they would be good offensively.
 #43409  by FurmAlum
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:44 pm
I doubt we will see the whole playbook on Sat. but I bet we will see some that Mercer hasn't seen before.

Play calling is relative. If the play works it's a good call, if it doesn't it's a bad call with fair weather fans.

Why should a team with a great defense use a bunch of high risk flea flickers excessively that could lead to a bunch of turnovers?

Furman came out throwing the ball against A & T and it was effective. We might not see that exact thing on Sat. but Quarles was a highly successful high school coach and he didn't get that way by being stupid. We'll have a good game plan, but it's up to the players to execute it.

Why would you give up? We've won both FCS games and we haven't even played Mercer yet.
 #43410  by purplehorse
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:52 pm
I think this game will most likely tell us what kind of season we will have. I have great hope with my expectations being guarded. Sometimes it just takes one coming out party or winning to become contagious, confidence to soar etc. It is time to get back to good ole Furman football-for the coaches and players.
dornb, QCGlue, FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.