• NC State Game Thread

#43322  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:29 pm
Never seen a FU team give up regardless of the score and not even try to score. Not a good look.
 #43323  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:29 pm
Never seen a FU team give up regardless of the score and not even try to score. Not a good look.
Nah. They didn't give up. They got the game over with. Right call to run it out.

Again, this is the least important game on our schedule.
FurmAlum liked this
 #43325  by jesse174
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 pm
Didn't like our QB tonight and didn't feel he helped us much...so going forward, not a lot of confidence in that position although the backup looked ok and threw and ran pretty well...I would like to see him play more...maybe he could get it done..
FU69 liked this
 #43326  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:56 pm
Well, looking for positives.

Surrendered only 7 in the second half
Only one turnover
10+ yard per completion
Only one sack surrendered
NC Stat's average 3rd down distance was 6.2, so we were getting them in 3rd and longs.
 #43327  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:56 pm
Shiflet looked O.K., but he was playing against their backups.
FU69 liked this
 #43328  by palafan
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:58 pm
We didn’t play well in any aspect of the game tonight. I expected a respectable showing. We will be back Saturday at home.
Davemeister liked this
 #43329  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:56 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 pm
Basketball starts in about 6 weeks.
It's not that bad.

This is the best team we'll face by a country mile. Our offense has some issues, but there's not a single team we'll see the rest of the season anywhere near this quality.
Mercer will run over us next week. Not as bad as this game but by at least 2 tds.
I’ll see your 2 and raise you one. :) Btw that TD pass was a bad throw, great catch by Miller.
Jackal said:

I'd really like to just see what we've got with the other guys. This would be a game to do it. At this point, I think we know what we've got in Sisson.
I like Sisson (though I too would like to see more of Shifflett )

** NOT a complaint here - I just wanted to commend Jackal on giving some objective notes. I can respect the positive more when I see some that isn't 'pure purple' at times. :D - give me the good AND the bad

Personally, I think we can be a good team. I think this game was one where the truth lies in the middle - I think State is going to win a lot and may beat Clemson! I think we can win 7 or 8 games. This one just had too many athletic freaks on one side of the ball... They were in our backfield all day

(FYI - , this was a game that kills the motto of "I want to play someone who has lost and knows how to lose".. the State players that were interviewed said they were PISSED at losing last week and came out very focused this week. It showed.)
 #43330  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:03 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 pm
Didn't like our QB tonight and didn't feel he helped us much...so going forward, not a lot of confidence in that position although the backup looked ok and threw and ran pretty well...I would like to see him play more...maybe he could get it done..
I mentioned before the game that this would be his first FBS game and he did not handle the situation very well. Of course he was not helped any by the offensive coaches.
FU69 liked this
 #43331  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:12 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It's not that bad.

This is the best team we'll face by a country mile. Our offense has some issues, but there's not a single team we'll see the rest of the season anywhere near this quality.
Mercer will run over us next week. Not as bad as this game but by at least 2 tds.
I’ll see your 2 and raise you one. :) Btw that TD pass was a bad throw, great catch by Miller.

I'd really like to just see what we've got with the other guys. This would be a game to do it. At this point, I think we know what we've got in Sisson.
I like Sisson (though I too would like to see more of the MTSU transfer... )

** NOT a complaint here - I just wanted to commend Jackal on giving some objective notes. I can respect the positive more when I see some that isn't 'pure purple' at times. :D - give me the good AND the bad

Personally, I think we can be a good team. I think this game was one where the truth lies in the middle - I think State is going to win a lot and may beat Clemson! I think we can win 7 or 8 games. This one just had too many athletic freaks on one side of the ball... They were in our backfield all day

(FYI - , this was a game that kills the motto of "I want to play someone who has lost and knows how to lose".. the State players that were interviewed said they were PISSED at losing last week and came out very focused this week. It showed.)

I give my opinion. I try to be objective. Just because you disagree with it, doesn't mean it isn't objective.

No, I am not a defeatist. I don't see the point in following a team that I am genuinely miserable about watching. I do not understand that thinking. I'm not going to sit on here and waste my time rage-posting.

We have a good defense. I think that's an objective statement. Our defense has surrendered 18-20 ppg and has consistently hit that mark for a number of years under Coach Vaughn. I don't think that is "purple tinted." That's what the data and watching the game bear out. It's not a small sample size either.

No one disagrees with the notion that our offense struggles. That's obvious. They looked much better against A&T than they did in the spring. They looked less good against TTU and then bad tonight. I don't have a lot of great answers for it. I'm not sure anyone does.

As a general rule, I don't panic. Tonight wasn't a banner night. We can only lose once tonight, though. The only thing we can do now is make sure NC State doesn't beat us twice next weekend against Mercer.

Can a team with a stout defense win with a less-than-stellar offense? Yes. Happens all the time. I've watched all the SoCon teams play, and none of them are clearly better than Furman. As Coach says, we have the season in front of us.
 #43341  by Thorny
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:31 pm
I think we can win the conference. 🤷‍♂️

Coaches make weird calls when everything is a mismatch. 🤷‍♂️
din23 liked this
 #43342  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:12 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It's not that bad.

I like Sisson (though I too would like to see more of the MTSU transfer... )

I give my opinion. I try to be objective. Just because you disagree with it, doesn't mean it isn't objective.

No, I am not a defeatist. I don't see the point in following a team that I am genuinely miserable about watching. I do not understand that thinking. I'm not going to sit on here and waste my time rage-posting.

We have a good defense. I think that's an objective statement. Our defense has surrendered 18-20 ppg and has consistently hit that mark for a number of years under Coach Vaughn. I don't think that is "purple tinted." That's what the data and watching the game bear out. It's not a small sample size either.

No one disagrees with the notion that our offense struggles. That's obvious. They looked much better against A&T than they did in the spring. They looked less good against TTU and then bad tonight. I don't have a lot of great answers for it. I'm not sure anyone does.

As a general rule, I don't panic. Tonight wasn't a banner night. We can only lose once tonight, though. The only thing we can do now is make sure NC State doesn't beat us twice next weekend against Mercer.

Can a team with a stout defense win with a less-than-stellar offense? Yes. Happens all the time. I've watched all the SoCon teams play, and none of them are clearly better than Furman. As Coach says, we have the season in front of us.
Clearly our O struggles. I called this game at 34-7 because I didn't see our O scoring on a good FBS D. I didn't think thier O would rout us quite like that though. But that's just one game.

we will see how the next 3 go and then we will know a lot more.

MERCER is big! win and we are 3-1 , 3-0 in FCS. Lose and we are 0-1 in a conference with parity.
 #43343  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:36 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:31 pm
I think we can win the conference. 🤷‍♂️

Coaches make weird calls when everything is a mismatch. 🤷‍♂️
agree here too. When it's over at half playcalls can be odd. We will know a lot more about FU after Mercer. We better be playcalling to win vs the bears. If it is up the middle , up the middle , 3rd and long vs mercer then it's time to look at a different discussion. got to get playmakers in space... throw down the middle (TE Miller).. hit Harris (WR) w a few quick ones..

again, I want nothing more than to Run on every play for 7 yards.. Never throw. Just not sure we can do that right now.
 #43348  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:51 pm
Speaking of halftime, since the reinstating of scholarships some 50+ years ago I do not believe FU has ever been down as much as they were tonight at halftime.
 #43353  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:14 am
No lipstick can be put on this one. Smelled like a hog pen in late July.

Good news.

New game, new opponent next week.
din23 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.