#43291  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:52 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:47 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:12 pm
Our defense that many think is good will be exposed in this game. Our lack of offense will be exposed. Of course for years our offense often struggles against FBS teams. I am afraid times have changed a good bit over the years as far as the quality of our overall team. Time will tell. Still waiting for “show me” as far as us being a decent team. Just don’t look like Furman teams of old.
I couldn’t agree more and have been commenting on the myriad offensive limitations all along. I did not expect FU to win or even be competitive against NCSU but this is an awful showing. This offense is impotent and beating a few bad FCS teams in struggles does not change that. I feel very badly for the kids. I just don’t think they have much to work with. The solution is obvious and ain’t gonna happen.

Maybe time to give the keys of the offense to Bratton.

Quarles has been the guy a few years now, and it's not working.
Ya think? Maybe even do something really radical and hire the next young offensive wizard on the horizon who did not graduate from FU. The further we get from Drew Cronic, the worse things get. Blaming the QB Alone for this is too simple
bj93, Affirm liked this
 #43292  by purplehorse
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm
Our defense is excellent. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

This is the biggest, most physical, deepest, best tackling group we've had in 20 years. NC State can score 50 and that doesn't change my opinion.

Our offense needs to carry some water. Our defense is working their butts off out there.
We are so big and so fast and so physical and so deep on defense and such good tacklers that no BCS offense should score against us!

In all seriousness, I always respect your opinion and I look forward to your comments at the end of the season. We just don’t look like the Jeff Blankenship team or other Furman teams of old to me but I am just a fan not an expert. Yep I just don’t see it. Hustle in and of itself only counts for so much.

I mean, our defense has been on the field virtually the entire game.

I've watched virtually every Furman game since the early 2000s. This is the best defense we've had since 2003.
MAYBE that is in part why we see things differently. I have seen virtually all of our home games since 1986. I mean we used to be good enough to beat Marshall, App State, GA Southern and now we struggle with much weaker teams. Lots of parity and I know times have changed.

The pass defense I have seen tonight was bad regardless of the opponent. It is great that we at times have had a good defense against the run but rarely are we good against the pass. My prediction is when we play passing teams this year we will be exposed. Time will tell and again I am just a fan not an expert like you.
 #43293  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:13 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:09 pm
Not sure I ever seen FU get blown out so quickly in an FBS game since watching in ‘87. Offense is the most pathetic - you have nothing to lose in bringing in Shifflet or the Freshman at this point.
I)ve seen them all. Never been anything close to this debacle. Even our worst teams were competitive.

Hard to disagree with you. Again, I'm not worried about the defense. They were left out to dry that first half.

The offensive execution and game plan is just depressing. NC State is doing what literally every team with some horses on defense does to us.

I agree that there's no real reason not to try Shiflett or the Texas kid at this point. It can't get worse on offense. See what you've got.
 #43294  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 pm
purplehorse wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm
Our defense is excellent. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

This is the biggest, most physical, deepest, best tackling group we've had in 20 years. NC State can score 50 and that doesn't change my opinion.

Our offense needs to carry some water. Our defense is working their butts off out there.
We are so big and so fast and so physical and so deep on defense and such good tacklers that no BCS offense should score against us!

In all seriousness, I always respect your opinion and I look forward to your comments at the end of the season. We just don’t look like the Jeff Blankenship team or other Furman teams of old to me but I am just a fan not an expert. Yep I just don’t see it. Hustle in and of itself only counts for so much.

I mean, our defense has been on the field virtually the entire game.

I've watched virtually every Furman game since the early 2000s. This is the best defense we've had since 2003.
MAYBE that is in part why we see things differently. I have seen virtually all of our home games since 1986. I mean we used to be good enough to beat Marshall, App State, GA Southern and now we struggle with much weaker teams. Lots of parity and I know times have changed.

The pass defense I have seen tonight was bad regardless of the opponent. It is great that we at times have had a good defense against the run but rarely are we good against the pass. My prediction is when we play passing teams this year we will be exposed. Time will tell and again I am just a fan not an expert like you.

You could look at the depth chart and see that was a major advantage for NC State - they are massive at WR/TE.

I don't worry much about the defense. They're just being hung out to dry tonight.
 #43295  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:24 pm
Halftime stats.
First downs 19-1
Yds 379 to 49.
Like I said never seen FU dominated like this. Stats prove it.
FU69 liked this
 #43296  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:25 pm
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:52 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:47 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:12 pm
Our defense that many think is good will be exposed in this game. Our lack of offense will be exposed. Of course for years our offense often struggles against FBS teams. I am afraid times have changed a good bit over the years as far as the quality of our overall team. Time will tell. Still waiting for “show me” as far as us being a decent team. Just don’t look like Furman teams of old.
I couldn’t agree more and have been commenting on the myriad offensive limitations all along. I did not expect FU to win or even be competitive against NCSU but this is an awful showing. This offense is impotent and beating a few bad FCS teams in struggles does not change that. I feel very badly for the kids. I just don’t think they have much to work with. The solution is obvious and ain’t gonna happen.

Maybe time to give the keys of the offense to Bratton.

Quarles has been the guy a few years now, and it's not working.
Ya think? Maybe even do something really radical and hire the next young offensive wizard on the horizon who did not graduate from FU. The further we get from Drew Cronic, the worse things get. Blaming the QB Alone for this is too simple
With the exception of Cronic, I'm pretty sure all of our offensive play calling for the last 20 years have been former Furman players from the same era - late 70s-mid 80s. (Lamb, Kiser, Sorrels, Quarles)

So, in that regard, Bratton would be a different strategy.
Affirm, FU69, QCGlue liked this
 #43297  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:28 pm
Thought Weaterns 76-0 loss to OU last week was embarrassing but this is worse.
Affirm liked this
 #43298  by Paladin91
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:34 pm
This is certainly not a good recruiting tool. Is this the type of offense a recruit wants to play under? Clearly not.
 #43299  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:38 pm
I know its bad but now we have to play against the refs too.

If they are going to call targeting on Clay then the targeting call on the State player should stand too.

That's two flags they've picked up on them.
 #43301  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 pm
Basketball starts in about 6 weeks.
It's not that bad.

This is the best team we'll face by a country mile. Our offense has some issues, but there's not a single team we'll see the rest of the season anywhere near this quality.
din23 liked this
 #43302  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:43 pm
FYI that Miss.St team that dominated NCState last week lost to Memphis today.
 #43303  by FU3
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:52 pm
I agree about the quality of teams but it is a little understatement to say this O has some issues. We had some teams in the past 10 years with FAR less talent than this team and never looked as bad as we do in this game. This is the O of our disastrous spring campaign.Atrocious game plan, bad execution and inexplicable play calling.
FU69 liked this
 #43304  by Paladin91
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It's not that bad.

This is the best team we'll face by a country mile. Our offense has some issues, but there's not a single team we'll see the rest of the season anywhere near this quality.
Mercer will run over us next week. Not as bad as this game but by at least 2 tds.
bj93 liked this
 #43305  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:55 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It's not that bad.

Mercer will run over us next week. Not as bad as this game but by at least 2 tds.

I doubt it, but sure.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.