• NC State Game Thread

#43275  by purplehorse
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm
Our defense is excellent. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

This is the biggest, most physical, deepest, best tackling group we've had in 20 years. NC State can score 50 and that doesn't change my opinion.

Our offense needs to carry some water. Our defense is working their butts off out there.
We are so big and so fast and so physical and so deep on defense and such good tacklers that no BCS offense should score against us!

In all seriousness, I always respect your opinion and I look forward to your comments at the end of the season. We just don’t look like the Jeff Blankenship team or other Furman teams of old to me but I am just a fan not an expert. Yep I just don’t see it. Hustle in and of itself only counts for so much.
FU69 liked this
 #43276  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:41 pm
1 first down and 37 yds. Just awful. Knew it was going to be bad but worse that expected. Fyi that one first down came on FUs first play fr9m scrimmage. Again another ridiculously tough pass to throw on third down.
 #43277  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm
Our defense is excellent. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

This is the biggest, most physical, deepest, best tackling group we've had in 20 years. NC State can score 50 and that doesn't change my opinion.

Our offense needs to carry some water. Our defense is working their butts off out there.
We are so big and so fast and so physical and so deep on defense and such good tacklers that no BCS offense should score against us!

In all seriousness, I always respect your opinion and I look forward to your comments at the end of the season. We just don’t look like the Jeff Blankenship team or other Furman teams of old to me but I am just a fan not an expert. Yep I just don’t see it. Hustle in and of itself only counts for so much.

I mean, our defense has been on the field virtually the entire game.

I've watched virtually every Furman game since the early 2000s. This is the best defense we've had since 2003.
QCGlue liked this
 #43278  by Paladin91
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:35 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:34 pm
Too many missed tackles on defense. Need to learn how to wrap
Meh. We've really only missed two tackles, but both resulted in long runs.

Our tackling has actually been really good all season.
There were 3 missed tackles on one play. What game are you watching.? 😂
 #43279  by fu77fan
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:43 pm
Pitiful.
No offense.
Cannot run.
Cannot pass.

If we were a decent team we should be able to get a few first downs.

Enough said!!!
FU69, bj93 liked this
 #43280  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:47 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:12 pm
Our defense that many think is good will be exposed in this game. Our lack of offense will be exposed. Of course for years our offense often struggles against FBS teams. I am afraid times have changed a good bit over the years as far as the quality of our overall team. Time will tell. Still waiting for “show me” as far as us being a decent team. Just don’t look like Furman teams of old.
I couldn’t agree more and have been commenting on the myriad offensive limitations all along. I did not expect FU to win or even be competitive against NCSU but this is an awful showing. This offense is impotent and beating a few bad FCS teams in struggles does not change that. I feel very badly for the kids. I just don’t think they have much to work with. The solution is obvious and ain’t gonna happen.
bj93 liked this
 #43281  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 pm
Doesn’t matter but no way was that was a TD. At at least a yard or 2 short when his knee was down.
QCGlue liked this
 #43282  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:52 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:47 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:12 pm
Our defense that many think is good will be exposed in this game. Our lack of offense will be exposed. Of course for years our offense often struggles against FBS teams. I am afraid times have changed a good bit over the years as far as the quality of our overall team. Time will tell. Still waiting for “show me” as far as us being a decent team. Just don’t look like Furman teams of old.
I couldn’t agree more and have been commenting on the myriad offensive limitations all along. I did not expect FU to win or even be competitive against NCSU but this is an awful showing. This offense is impotent and beating a few bad FCS teams in struggles does not change that. I feel very badly for the kids. I just don’t think they have much to work with. The solution is obvious and ain’t gonna happen.

Maybe time to give the keys of the offense to Bratton.

Quarles has been the guy a few years now, and it's not working.
apaladin, bj93, QCGlue liked this
 #43283  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 pm
Doesn’t matter but no way was that was a TD. At at least a yard or 2 short when his knee was down.
These refs have had a rough night. Just missed a pass interference you could see from Cary, then called a hold that was clearly a hold, then uncalled it.

I also don't see how you have ejections for ticky tack targeting hits, but allow a kid to smash someone on an illegal blindside (a more dangerous play).

and now they'll call targeting.
 #43286  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:08 pm
Absolutely the worst game EVER against an FBS opponent. I have seen them all. Totally embarrassing. Yes I know its a good FBS team but NEVER seen a Furman team get dominated like this. After beating 2 bad FCS teams our hopes were falsely raised. I used to go to every FBS game because we had a chance. Nit anymore. Seriously raises doubt that we will be competitive in tbe SoCon, Very disappointing.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #43288  by Paladin91
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:09 pm
Not sure I ever seen FU get blown out so quickly in an FBS game since watching in ‘87. Offense is the most pathetic - you have nothing to lose in bringing in Shifflet or the Freshman at this point.
FU69 liked this
 #43289  by FU3
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:12 pm
I think NC State is a good football team and will likely beat Clemson next week but that half was embarrassing. Our D got picked apart but they were on the field literally an entire half. The O looked like it was the he first week of practice. Just a real HS looking game plan, hard to fault our players when we are so woefully unprepared. Did we really look at tape of their front seven and think we were going to run it down their throats ? Ah well, cash the check and get ready for Mercer.
 #43290  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:13 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:09 pm
Not sure I ever seen FU get blown out so quickly in an FBS game since watching in ‘87. Offense is the most pathetic - you have nothing to lose in bringing in Shifflet or the Freshman at this point.
I)ve seen them all. Never been anything close to this debacle. Even our worst teams were competitive.
FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.