• NC State - Sept. 18

#43120  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 am
Unrelated, but interesting.

check out Blackshear's pick here. Specifically, watch from where he jumps to where he lands. He leaps 4 or 5 yards backwards and high points the ball.

I expect that's not the last time we'll see a QB underestimate his athleticism this year. He may be becoming one of those guys you just don't throw in the general direction of.

#43125  by FU5578
 Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:46 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm
If we were to beat NC State Saturday, would that be the highest-ranked team Furman has ever beaten in football in the modern (or any) era? If not, who did we ever beat that was ranked higher than NC State is ranked. (I realize they may have fallen from top 20 or top 25 rankings following last Saturday, but there are other ratings systems of course.)
The 1977 team ( either 1 or 2 years before we went 1-AA) beat a then 19th ranked and undefeated Joe Morrison led UTC team, I believe.
 #43127  by tim
 Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:28 pm
Way back in the day, there was a Furman win over Memphis State. Not sure of their ranking but MSU was a 40 point favorite.
 #43128  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:43 pm
FU5578 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:46 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm
If we were to beat NC State Saturday, would that be the highest-ranked team Furman has ever beaten in football in the modern (or any) era? If not, who did we ever beat that was ranked higher than NC State is ranked. (I realize they may have fallen from top 20 or top 25 rankings following last Saturday, but there are other ratings systems of course.)
The 1977 team ( either 1 or 2 years before we went 1-AA) beat a then 19th ranked and undefeated Joe Morrison led UTC team, I believe.
Don’t see that Chatt team, which finished 9-1-1 (FU was their only loss) & tied for the SoCon Championship with…wait for it…VMI, was ever ranked…looking at various sources, but it could be a fact that Geraldo didn’t happen to find in Al Capone’s basement. One source, which was discussing Chatt’s highest ranking ever (2015), mentioned being ranked in the 60’s in “Small School” rankings…so it seems they would have captured a 1977 ranking, but they did also say that Dick Sheridan was Furman’s Coach in 1977 (it was Art Baker), so they coulda missed it too.

Also, reclassification to D1-AA was before the 1982 season.
 #43129  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 pm
tim wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:28 pm
Way back in the day, there was a Furman win over Memphis State. Not sure of their ranking but MSU was a 40 point favorite.
7-6 in 1961.

That Tiger Team was 6-0 heading into their game the prior week hosting Mississippi State, but they fell to the Bulldogs 23-16, fell again to the Paladins, and were never ranked.

Memphis 1st AP Ranking in Football occurred in 2004, when Tommy West led them to wins over Ole Miss, Chatt, Arkansas State. They slipped in at #25, but fell out after losing to UAB the following week.
tim liked this
 #43135  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:14 am
FurmanATT wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:25 pm
Here's my take. -- MD
It can happen. I've seen it.
https://www.furmanatt.com/features/insi ... d4858.html
Love this article…

MD - you and FUBeAR both have the same .750 batting average for our attended FU @ NCSU games, as we’ve attended the same four.

There is a difference though. I believe you were actively working with the FU Football Program in 2 of the 3 wins…so you are .667 in your ‘involved’ winning %. My ‘involved’ record pales in comparison.

In the only one (of the 4) that ‘you and I’ lost, I was playing (very badly that night) & was a Game Captain. We got pretty well stomped. I heard Coach Hendrix recall from his FR year that we were ‘in it’ until halftime. We weren’t. Unless the D or special teams scored, we were only going to put up a goose egg. As Coach Caldwell eloquently said to us at one point that night, “we ain’t peed a dang drop!” - and we didn’t. Now, to be fair, they had more than a few future strong NFL & USFL Players on that Wolfpack D…and they were Head Coached by Monte Kiffin (as Coach Hendrix also recalled), long considered a Defensive genius, but they also had another high-pedigree Def. Coach with Pete Carroll as their DC. Their D whipped our O bad on the field & in the Coaches Box that night.

So, you could say my ‘involved’ record is .000, but I prefer to think of it as .500* - the asterisk denoting “unofficial”…because, though I had been enjoying the pleasures of tailgating and attended the 1984 game as an ‘uninvolved’ fan, fairly early in the game, an FU Trainer came looking for & found FUBeAR in the stands with the Furman crowd. He had been dispatched by Coach Caldwell to get FUBeAR to come help him Coach the OL, as he was having “heart palpitations” and feared that he was “about to fall out.” So, I didn’t screw too much up for a couple of series while he caught his wind & got his ticker back tickin’ on time and I hung around with him /the OL on the sideline the rest of the game…just in case. So, I’d like to think I contributed something to 1 of those 3 wins.

So…I’m .000 or .500 ‘involved,’ depending on how ‘pure’ one want to be vs. your .667. My point in sharing all this is…well, I think they are interesting and/or funny stories, but more importantly, to petition you to attend to put your magic Wolfpack-Beater mojo on the Paladins this Saturday night. FUBeAR can’t make it to Raleigh, which considering my 1982 performance there, is probably actually a good thing…but they need some success mojo. Now, if you’ll assure us that you have faithfully passed along your secrets and various victory incantations to Caleb & Danny, we can probably consider this an excused absence. But, please inform them that a Furman victory lies squarely on their shoulders & they need to bring it home, as you have previously done so well.

Again, great article. Thanks! #FUATT
 #43138  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am
JohnKX512 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am
https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 170953352/

Good little write up
Not a single condescending or just plain stupid comment in the article. Unusual for an FBS-shaded write-up of their Team’s game with an FCS squad. Perhaps ‘84 & ‘85 was the 2-dose vaccination the media peeps in Raleigh needed to fully protect them from writing that special kind of garbage.
dornb, QCGlue, DeepPurple liked this
 #43139  by Davemeister
 Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:02 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am
Not a single condescending or just plain stupid comment in the article. Unusual for an FBS-shaded write-up of their Team’s game with an FCS squad. Perhaps ‘84 & ‘85 was the 2-dose vaccination the media peeps in Raleigh needed to fully protect them from writing that special kind of garbage.
The Pack is about due for a booster vax.
FUBeAR liked this
 #43141  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:21 pm
Game will be available nationwide.
https://theacc.com/sports/2021/9/8/FB_R ... SU_21.aspx

Not sure how that will work. Bally has both a South and Southeast regional network. They don't list Southeast for the Furman/NC State game.

I need to check cable providers. The Southeast network will, as it does most nights, show the Braves game. I guess both channels are available to southern customers. I cannot imagine the NC State Furman game kicking out the Braves game.
 #43142  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:26 pm
Game notes up: https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... ackage.pdf

Looks like Devin Wynn should (hopefully) pass Jerome Felton and Ced Gipson on the all time yardage list on Saturday.

Also appears that Furman is plugging the Sochovka hole by starting London Lewis and backing him up with Parker Stokes. Stokes basically rotates all over the line, so that will a good start.
 #43145  by Roundball
 Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:21 pm
Game will be available nationwide.
https://theacc.com/sports/2021/9/8/FB_R ... SU_21.aspx

Not sure how that will work. Bally has both a South and Southeast regional network. They don't list Southeast for the Furman/NC State game.

I need to check cable providers. The Southeast network will, as it does most nights, show the Braves game. I guess both channels are available to southern customers. I cannot imagine the NC State Furman game kicking out the Braves game.
The channel on Charter Spectrum is 811.
 #43151  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:17 pm
I saw the list on Facebook and said that it didn’t look good for viewing via that small network, especially since none of the website links worked. Furman then replied that it will be on ESPN3. Problem solved, doubt removed.
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.