• The Rest Of the Season

#4302  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:41 am
Obviously it's just a matter of playing out the season and trying to get better. No playoffs for us! Unless the team just folds up(don't see that happening) we could win 2 or 3.
Wofford will kill us. Their defense will manhandle our O and we won't be able to stop them too often.
Samford will kill us. We won't be able to stop their passing game. Look for 4-500 yds passing from them.
UTC will kill us. Right now they look like the best most complete team in the league along with WC.
Other games we probably have a chance.

It's kinda sad when you look forward to football season like we all do and have all hope for a successful season gone before the end of September. I know we started 0-3 last year but that team showed promise and was fun to watch. Don't see much promise in this team and we are painful to watch.

On top of that my second favorite team is anyone who plays Clempson and they are not going to win a game this year.

This football season pretty much sucks so far.
FU69 liked this
 #4305  by furman88
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:08 pm
Unless there is major progress I see us as underdogs against Western, Citadel, and VMI's air raid offense. At Mercer could be nasty also. Sure hope I'm wrong.
 #4330  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:19 pm
Let me offer a little perspective.

You know how many SoCon teams feel good about where they are right now? None. Maybe ETSU. Maybe.

Samford, the preseason conference favorite, is 1-3. They've beaten arguably the worst D2 team in the country and already lost two SoCon games.

Mercer beat Samford, which looked like a better win last week. They then lost at home to formerly winless the Citadel and likely lost their QB to injury for a while.

The Citadel was formerly winless and just beat Mercer. They already have two SoCon losses.

VMI is 0-3 in the conference.

WCU darn near lost to VMI at home and darn near lost to a D2 school at home in week 1.

Wofford fans will concede that they are 2-1, but haven't been tested. They've beaten a bad VMI team and a Citadel team of questionable quality.

Long story short, we are 0-1 in the SoCon. Despite how bad last night was, we aren't the worst off at the moment.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #4333  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:35 am
youwouldno wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 am
I'm not convinced that it's really a positive that the SoCon is a bad conference.
I didn't say it was a positive. I said it was perspective.
FU69 liked this
 #4334  by DeepPurple
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:44 am
There is no doubt this is a tough year. There is no doubt we should have won that game last Saturday night. The southern conference is not a world beater conference as in days gone by. We are not a football team like one of those days gone by years. There was much to "fix" when CCH arrived in Greenville. There is still much to fix. The problem is we want it fixed "right now" and that is not going to happen. No one wants to be reminded how young we are. We want it all right now, I do too. Folks in the Furman world are smart people. Folks in the Furman world have to step back and let this thing get built. It is way too easy to take cheap shots from the couch as do many Monday night Quarterbacks. We were better this past week than the week before. It may not mean much but we were. Schematically, it does not matter what offense you run, if you have the folks to do it, you can run anything. I do believe we will get there. I do believe it will take time. Thank GOD we get to play our first home game this week, the last weekend of September. Go FU!
dornb liked this
 #4335  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:22 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:44 am
There is no doubt this is a tough year. There is no doubt we should have won that game last Saturday night. The southern conference is not a world beater conference as in days gone by. We are not a football team like one of those days gone by years. There was much to "fix" when CCH arrived in Greenville. There is still much to fix. The problem is we want it fixed "right now" and that is not going to happen. No one wants to be reminded how young we are. We want it all right now, I do too. Folks in the Furman world are smart people. Folks in the Furman world have to step back and let this thing get built. It is way too easy to take cheap shots from the couch as do many Monday night Quarterbacks. We were better this past week than the week before. It may not mean much but we were. Schematically, it does not matter what offense you run, if you have the folks to do it, you can run anything. I do believe we will get there. I do believe it will take time. Thank GOD we get to play our first home game this week, the last weekend of September. Go FU!

Thanks for that.

By my count, Furman's starting offense on Saturday included 2 seniors (Roberts and Gibson), 2 juniors (Godwin and Gordon), and 7 sophomores (Burnette, Kroeber, Neely, Harris, Layton, Morehead, Walker)

Our three leading rushers were two sophomores (Wynn and Morehead) and a freshman (Watkins). Our leading receiver was a sophomore (Burnette).

We are still a really young team, particularly on offense.
DeepPurple liked this
 #4337  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:55 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:35 am
youwouldno wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 am
I'm not convinced that it's really a positive that the SoCon is a bad conference.
I didn't say it was a positive. I said it was perspective.
Agreed. It’s a tough loss because we expected to win and it would have put us at the top of the Socon standings. But 1 conference loss doesn’t look so bad right now. Winner of the Socon still gets a playoff bid, and that’s our only chance right now. It’s a steep hill to climb if we continue playing the way we have, but not out of the question. Playoff football starts next week for Furman. Time to right the ship.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #4340  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 am
The Jackal wrote:

You know how many SoCon teams feel good about where they are right now? None. Maybe ETSU. Maybe.

Samford, the preseason conference favorite, is 1-3. They've beaten arguably the worst D2 team in the country and already lost two SoCon games.

Mercer beat Samford, which looked like a better win last week. They then lost at home to formerly winless the Citadel and likely lost their QB to injury for a while.

The Citadel was formerly winless and just beat Mercer. They already have two SoCon losses.

WCU darn near lost to VMI at home and darn near lost to a D2 school at home in week 1.

Wofford fans will concede that they are 2-1, but haven't been tested. They've beaten a bad VMI team and a Citadel team of questionable quality.

Long story short, we are 0-1 in the SoCon. Despite how bad last night was, we aren't the worst off at the moment.
Jackal - you know your stuff.. you do ! (way more than me :D ) I understand your perspective - But you conveniently left off UTC In your listing.?? If we are going to list the SoCon teams lets make sure to list them all.

I would say they feel pretty dang good right now at 4-0.. 2-0 in conference and just beat a purty good Samford team. More than that they are light years ahead of last year when they stunk. Basically Chatt is doing the reverse of us. THey got a first year coach.. stunk last yr and now are doing well. We went from 3 wins to 8 wins in first year of CCH and now are... well, it isn't looking good.
 #4343  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal - you know your stuff.. you do ! (way more than me :D ) I understand your perspective - But you conveniently left off UTC In your listing.?? If we are going to list the SoCon teams lets make sure to list them all.

I would say they feel pretty dang good right now at 4-0.. 2-0 in conference and just beat a purty good Samford team. More than that they are light years ahead of last year when they stunk. Basically Chatt is doing the reverse of us. THey got a first year coach.. stunk last yr and now are doing well. We went from 3 wins to 8 wins in first year of CCH and now are... well, it isn't looking good.
Fine. UTC has beaten a Citadel team of questionable quality. They have a win over Samford, who we now know likely isn't near as good as we assumed they were. They have wins over two bad OVC teams.

UTC looks a lot better than they did last year, but are certainly not some sort of obvious front runner at this point. Everyone looks pretty mediocre.
 #4347  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Fine. UTC has beaten a Citadel team of questionable quality. They have a win over Samford, who we now know likely isn't near as good as we assumed they were. They have wins over two bad OVC teams.

UTC looks a lot better than they did last year, but are certainly not some sort of obvious front runner at this point. Everyone looks pretty mediocre.
Right, just odd to leave off the one undefeated team in the conference. ;) No one is 'proven' but lots of teams are in a better place than us.
 #4350  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:10 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Right, just odd to leave off the one undefeated team in the conference. ;) No one is 'proven' but lots of teams are in a better place than us.
I also expect that if Furman had played Tennessee Tech and UT-M, that we'd have at least two wins if not more.

It's also worth mentioning that Furman routinely (and I mean nearly every season) plays the toughest schedule of any SoCon teams. I suppose we could schedule Presbyterian and Gardner Webb every year again and some D2 or NAIA schools and be sitting pretty with 3 wins right now.
 #4352  by tim
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:19 pm
I'm thinking ETSU may be a good team if their coach decides to play Herink instead of the other guy. I think we recruited Herink pretty hard? Inside runs against the ETSU D certainly wasn't happening Sat.
 #4356  by dinhead
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:41 am
Obviously it's just a matter of playing out the season and trying to get better. No playoffs for us! Unless the team just folds up(don't see that happening) we could win 2 or 3.
Wofford will kill us. Their defense will manhandle our O and we won't be able to stop them too often.
Samford will kill us. We won't be able to stop their passing game. Look for 4-500 yds passing from them.
UTC will kill us. Right now they look like the best most complete team in the league along with WC.
Other games we probably have a chance.

It's kinda sad when you look forward to football season like we all do and have all hope for a successful season gone before the end of September. I know we started 0-3 last year but that team showed promise and was fun to watch. Don't see much promise in this team and we are painful to watch.

On top of that my second favorite team is anyone who plays Clempson and they are not going to win a game this year.

This football season pretty much sucks so far.
As long as we're mathematically still in it there's always some hope. This team has enough talent to beat anyone in the conference on any given day. Unfortunately 6-4 isn't going to cut it so we're going to have to win out. It's been done before. In the 1-AA era Western Kentucky started out 1-4 and ran the table (11 in a row) to win the national championship !

What I hate more than the 0-3 start is the way we're losing. We no longer look like a well coached team. A 12 men on the field penalty( illegal substitution) giving ETSU a chance at a 2 point conversion, A fair catch kickoff return at the 3 yard line, a 5 yard loss for a safety and then our QB takes a sack instead of throwing the ball away when he had plenty of time to do so causing us to use our final timeout. All in the last couple minutes and all mental errors that make it very hard to win a football game. We keep playing like that and wins are going to be very hard to come by.
 #4358  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:39 pm
The way the SoCon is makes Saturday's collapse even more important. We put a win in the loss column. There is no way to reverse that. Now there is no room for error. Is this team capable of running the table? I disagree about Wofford not being tested. They went to Wyoming and lost in the last minute 17-14. I think they passed that test. I am sure WC fans are expecting a cakewalk thru the SoCon. Whether that happens are not remains to be seen. Right now WC fans are prolly feeling pretty good.