• Tennessee Tech - Sept. 11

#42979  by I-85 Paladin
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm
We played well and at no point was I all that worried about the outcome. Defense was simply stifling and at times the offense looked great. I'd be lying if I didn't hope I would see a score that reflected the domination the field but I'll take it. Hamp looked sharp early on and we got some good runs. Felt like we maybe got into a bit of a rut on the offensive play calling at times but it was effective so I can't "really" complain except in the red zone. Hard to get hyped up with only a 26-0 knowing it could have easily have been so much more and TT isn't a powerhouse but plenty reason to be hopeful for our chances in upcoming games.
 #42980  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:13 pm
I-85 Paladin wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm
We played well and at no point was I all that worried about the outcome. Defense was simply stifling and at times the offense looked great. I'd be lying if I didn't hope I would see a score that reflected the domination the field but I'll take it. Hamp looked sharp early on and we got some good runs. Felt like we maybe got into a bit of a rut on the offensive play calling at times but it was effective so I can't "really" complain except in the red zone. Hard to get hyped up with only a 26-0 knowing it could have easily have been so much more and TT isn't a powerhouse but plenty reason to be hopeful for our chances in upcoming games.

I suppose its nice to folks to be complaining about the margin of victory instead of whether there is a victory.
 #42981  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:21 pm
Way to go Furman!
First shutout of an opponent in 17 years.(?)
BACK TO HOLY CROSS:
Holy Cross, after beating FBS UConn last week by 10, loses 21-35 today in home opener against Merrimack College Warriors, a school that still has 2 years left to complete on their 4-year transition to Division I.
AstroDin liked this
 #42984  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:10 pm
It's midway through the 4th Q and TTU has 100 yards of offense.

They haven't really gotten further than Furman's 40
Defense has been stellar. Would be nice to get a shutout. When was last?
Our game notes state that our last shutout Oct. 2004 against Elon (10-0)

As an aside, that was a game where Furman fans were super concerned about the offense after a pretty bad Phoenix team limited a potent Paladin offense.
When was our last “away” shutout victory, score, opponent? Was it that 2004 Elon game, or was that Elon game at home?
 #42985  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:21 pm
Way to go Furman!
First shutout of an opponent in 17 years.(?)
BACK TO HOLY CROSS:
Holy Cross, after beating FBS UConn last week by 10, loses 21-35 today in home opener against Merrimack College Warriors, a school that still has 2 years left to complete on their 4-year transition to Division I.

I remember that last shutout. It was on the road.

Elon wasn't very good. Furman was very good. Just an off night for Ingle Martin in the offense. Elon's Chad Nkang made what felt like every tackle for the Phoenix.

That game had a sort of similar feel. It was "close" but the Phoenix weren't really a threat to win the game because you just never felt like they could score once, much less twice.
 #42991  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:56 pm
Got frustrated with the offense in the second half. But hard to complain about a 26-0 shutout on the road.

The defense looks as good as I've ever seen it!

Anybody know why Gilby was wearing 24? Did he forget to bring his jersey? :D

The announcers were very complimentary of FU in general. They talked about how good Sisson runs the option. Go figure. He did run it better this week.

Blackshear's gonna be an All-American.
apaladin, din23, QCGlue liked this
 #42992  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:57 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:56 pm
Got frustrated with the offense in the second half. But hard to complain about a 26-0 shutout on the road.

The defense looks as good as I've ever seen it!

Anybody know why Gilby was wearing 24? Did he forget to bring his jersey? :D

The announcers were very complimentary of FU in general. They talked about how good Sisson runs the option. Go figure. He did run it better this week.

Blackshear's gonna be an All-American.

Scott Keeler said Gilby had torn his jersey in the pregame.
 #43002  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:40 pm
Paladins missing several starters on defense.
Who was missing as a starter?? I thought I saw everyone? PM me if you want. Maybe Lawrence or Sochovka?? Appreciate reply
 #43003  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:08 am
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Who was missing as a starter?? I thought I saw everyone? PM me if you want. Maybe Lawrence or Sochovka?? Appreciate reply
Pretty widely reported that Sochovka suffered a knee injury against A&T and did not play
gofurman liked this
 #43004  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Pretty widely reported that Sochovka suffered a knee injury against A&T and did not play
Jackal, THANKS ! Any others? Did Lawrence or Ivan Yates Play? Is Sochovka probably to be back soon. PM if prefer. Thank you all

FYI McKoy played a good game. Great to see him backin
 #43005  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
He went out early in the second half against A&T and was limping the rest of the game so wasn’t expecting him to play today,
gofurman liked this
 #43008  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:42 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Jackal, THANKS ! Any others? Did Lawrence or Ivan Yates Play? Is Sochovka probably to be back soon. PM if prefer. Thank you all

FYI McKoy played a good game. Great to see him backin

I'm not trying to be obnoxious about this, but Furman reported the Sochovoka injury, so this isn't inside baseball.

As for who actually plays in a game, that is reported in the "participation" portion of the box score. Both Lawrence and Yates started the game, so, yes, they played.

https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/footb ... score/7440
gofurman liked this
 #43010  by youwouldno
 Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:13 pm
I suppose its nice to folks to be complaining about the margin of victory instead of whether there is a victory.

There are a couple of comments along these lines, but here's the thing - Furman has almost never lost to teams like TTU, well at least not in the past 50 years. The last time Furman lost to a team with an equal or worse Massey rating was 2014 (Citadel). Before that it's maybe SC State in 1994, and then there's Wofford in 1979. So, even in real down years, it basically doesn't happen.

Now, shutouts are pretty rare, especially these days. So the defense deserves a lot of credit for dominating to such an extent, start to finish. They clearly were on a different level than the TTU offense.

But offense has the advantage in today's game. Strong opposing offenses are going to score a decent amount. The offense Furman showed today is good enough to beat teams at the bottom of FCS, no question, but it's not enough against top SoCon opponents. I think the potential is there, but the TTU game wasn't evidence for it.
Jasper liked this
 #43011  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:04 am
Anyone notice that even though we had new home jerseys last week we did not have new away jerseys today?
 #43012  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:39 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
He went out early in the second half against A&T and was limping the rest of the game so wasn’t expecting him to play today,
Thanks AP ! He was on the starting two deep roster so that threw me.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.