• Tennessee Tech - Sept. 11

#42966  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:37 pm
Good game.

If you asked any Furman fan whether they'd take a 26 point win at Tennessee Tech, they'd take it every day.

A bit disappointed as we feel like Furman left a lot of points on the field. But it's a good thing that we are nitpicking instead of looking for identity.

I think we'll keep getting better. We're in a good spot.
apaladin, I-85 Paladin liked this
 #42967  by purplehorse
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:41 pm
I think the posts largely reflect the perspective of folks. Some are half full to empty (apaladin) and others half full to overflowing (Jackal). That is the way it is most of the time.

I think our offense has potential which I never saw last year but we have a lot of work to do. TT was missing 3 defensive line starters today.

Tenn Tech maybe would lose to every Southern Conference team.

Fool me once shame on you (last year)
Fool me twice, shame on me (this year).

I am not going to get sucked in until we beat some good Southern teams . I hope it happens but it could be a long season. Two games does not make a season either way but happy to be 2-0.

Kudos to our FG kicker.
bj93, Affirm, FUpaladin08 and 1 others liked this
 #42968  by FU3
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:42 pm
Good road win, D played great. O looked a little out of sync but we played very conservatively in the second half. Thought the O line did a really nice job in pass protection.
 #42969  by cavedweller2
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:52 pm
Good win. Go Dins. We have a good kicker.
 #42970  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:02 pm
Controlled the game from the onset. Three total penalties and no turnovers. Like Furman teams of old.

Good teams don’t beat themselves, regardless of the opponent. Nice win.

Go Paladins! Beat State!
 #42971  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:04 pm
The fact of the matter is that TTU is not a very good team at this point and we let them stay in the game much too long. That is never a good thing. The "win is a win" crowd is pleased but I am concerned going forward. I felt that we had to improve three things to be competitive in the SoCon and I think we are improved in only two of them. 1. Hamp Sisson is much improved and I feel will get better as the season progresses. 2. Our offensive line needed to improve and I feel that it has. There is no way that any O line can effectively block against 8 and 9 man fronts like both of our opponents this year have thrown at us. That leaves play calling and the offensive scheme itself. Simply put - offensive coaching. I think it is unimaginative and predictable and that will make it very difficult to score and move the ball against better opposition, this putting a lot of pressure on the D. That is of concern despite the wins. I think adjustments can and should be made and certainly hope they are. Harris caught everything thrown his way today including 2 that were badly thrown. I saw his great hands and speed in the first week of practice. We should be looking his way in future. We also might think about shelving the play where the QB gets the ball snapped 7 yards back and then simply turns and hands it to the RB standing a yard away from him. He almost handed it to a defensive lineman today and it resulted in a bad loss as usual. Maybe a simple slant for 10 yards to Harris could take its venerable place in the playbook. ;) just saying.
bj93, Affirm, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #42972  by youwouldno
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:09 pm
The offense did not look good. I think it was more lack of execution than play-calling, but regardless, it's pure spin to deny the shades of last season.

The biggest positive offensively was probably Harris continuing to look good.
Affirm, I-85 Paladin liked this
 #42973  by cavedweller2
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:16 pm
It’s almost like the coaches are brake torquing the offense.
apaladin liked this
 #42975  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:32 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:04 pm
The fact of the matter is that TTU is not a very good team at this point and we let them stay in the game much too long. That is never a good thing. The "win is a win" crowd is pleased but I am concerned going forward. I felt that we had to improve three things to be competitive in the SoCon and I think we are improved in only two of them. 1. Hamp Sisson is much improved and I feel will get better as the season progresses. 2. Our offensive line needed to improve and I feel that it has. There is no way that any O line can effectively block against 8 and 9 man fronts like both of our opponents this year have thrown at us. That leaves play calling and the offensive scheme itself. Simply put - offensive coaching. I think it is unimaginative and predictable and that will make it very difficult to score and move the ball against better opposition, this putting a lot of pressure on the D. That is of concern despite the wins. I think adjustments can and should be made and certainly hope they are. Harris caught everything thrown his way today including 2 that were badly thrown. I saw his great hands and speed in the first week of practice. We should be looking his way in future. We also might think about shelving the play where the QB gets the ball snapped 7 yards back and then simply turns and hands it to the RB standing a yard away from him. He almost handed it to a defensive lineman today and it resulted in a bad loss as usual. Maybe a simple slant for 10 yards to Harris could take its venerable place in the playbook. ;) just saying.

I think you are mistaking "in the game" with what happened today.

TTU was never really "in" this game. They didn't get closer to Furman's end zone than the 40. The barely could get a first down, much less score.

Like last week, our defense was excellent in the tackling game, allowed very little in second chance yards, and forced three turnovers.
 #42977  by Thorny
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:23 pm
Furman held a team to 0 points. 0 td. 0 fg.
You forgot 121 yds of total offense.
There was a point in the game where TTU kept getting negative plays and I thought sub 100 yards of offense was a possibility. :cry:

It's really hard to blame the coaches for being conservative on offense when the other team can't move the ball.
FUBeAR liked this
 #42978  by Thorny
 Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:22 pm
Other thoughts.

People can say TTU isn't very good but our margin of victory was far better than what people were posting on Any Given Saturday so we exceeded most people's pregame expectations, but you can try to move the goal posts if you must.

We've been losing and having close games with teams like this the last few years. I am happy with completely dominating them. (I would say even though we didn't blow them out of the water but in terms of a war of attrition game plan we kind of did). Goose eggs are hard to come by. :)

I loved it when we were running it up the gut for consistent good yardage to run out the clock. I wasn't sure our O-line could impose their will like that anymore. Reminded me of our Coaches first year when they realized few teams could stop us if we just ran it up the middle every play.

We can pass, we can pitch, and we can run it up the gut. I'm not going to complain.
din23, The Jackal, AstroDin and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.