• Tennessee Tech - Sept. 11

#42814  by Paul C
 Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:27 pm
Holy Cross has been the the 1-AA/FCS playoffs 4 times and is 0-4. In MBB they finished last year #304 in Ken Pom and have only been better than 215 once in the last decade+. Maybe they should drop some sports and invest in football and basketball.
apaladin, gman84, MNORM liked this
 #42822  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:25 am
Scanning videos again.

Want to know why Cam Coleman is a problem for an offensive line? Watch him (56) make first contact and knock the OL back into the backfield off the snap. He and Lawrence keep Gilby and Blackshear out of all the traffic and open to make the play.

Don't looooove the coverage on that play as one of our DBs appears to leave the TE open in the end zone, but when the QB decides to run, there are 6 purple shirts in the frame and only two Aggies to throw to.
 #42824  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:47 am
gman84 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:44 am
Turning point of the game!

There was some pregame talk about how small our defensive backs are and whether they'd hold up against A&T's big skill players.

Well, there's a 5'10 180 CB blowing up a 6'4 235 lbs QB. That guys going to have to hit the film room and explain how a guy a fraction his size not only tackled him short of the goalline, but knocked the ball out in the process.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. . .
 #42825  by Roundball
 Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:47 am
gman84 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:44 am
Turning point of the game!

There was some pregame talk about how small our defensive backs are and whether they'd hold up against A&T's big skill players.

Well, there's a 5'10 180 CB blowing up a 6'4 235 lbs QB. That guys going to have to hit the film room and explain how a guy a fraction his size not only tackled him short of the goalline, but knocked the ball out in the process.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. . .
All the talk about tall receivers is always overblown, except of course, for Randy Moss of Marshall. That was indeed a case of man versus boys.
 #42826  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:43 pm
I count 10 men within 5 yards of the LOS on this play.

Excellent field vision by Wynn to see that the hole wasn't wear it was supposed to be, but find it anyway. Needed a good Chris Berman "whoop!" as he cut by No. 8.

Watch the work the OL does on this play. Jumper has an incredibly difficult block from C, which allows Hughes to get to the next level and spring Wynn.

If we can do that type of thing against 8 in the box, we'll be alright this season.
Davemeister, dornb liked this
 #42840  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:11 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:27 pm
Holy Cross has been the the 1-AA/FCS playoffs 4 times and is 0-4. In MBB they finished last year #304 in Ken Pom and have only been better than 215 once in the last decade+. Maybe they should drop some sports and invest in football and basketball.
Most happy to continue this comparison between the 2 very similar schools by giving some additional information about Holy Cross.
1. In the most recent USN&WR ranking of liberal arts colleges, Holy Cross is #36 and Furman is #52.
2. Holy Cross has an endowment of approximately $767 million compared to Furman's approximately $670 million.
3. Regarding the number of sports teams that are sponsored at the Division I level, I too wonder how in the world Holy Cross can support to support that number of teams.
4. Holy Cross has the largest ration of Division I teams-per-enrollment of any school in the country.
5. Holy Cross has a 23,500-seat football stadium.
6. In football, Holy Cross is 621-512-55, 0.546, all time. By comparison, Furman is 573-432-38, 0.568 all time. So they have played 1188 games (+ this year). Furman has played 1043 games (+this year). They have played 145 more games than we have, but they have won only 48 more games than we have and 80 more losses than we have (also 17 more ties i.e., non-wins than we have).
7. In football, Holy cross was undefeated in regular season games in 2019 and in 2021 spring, and they were in the playoffs. They were also undefeated in regular season in 1987 and 1991. They have 6 players in the College Football Hall of Fame and 1 player in the Professional Football Hall of Fame.
8. In football, Holy Cross very often plays some very prestigious schools. Yale University home-and-home, one game every year. Frequently Harvard University. Georgetown University in conference. Not saying that those are great football schools, but they are great schools.
9. Holy Cross is one of only 8 colleges in the US that have won national championships in both baseball and men's basketball. They won baseball in 1952 and they won an NCAA post-season tournament game in baseball as recently as 2017, beating #25-ranked Nebraska. They won men's basketball in 1947. The won the 1954 NIT. They were in the 1946 Orange Bowl.
10. In closing, no, I am not wanting Furman to add 12 more varsity sports. Maybe Holy Cross should drop some. I am saying, however, that Holy Cross is a very good college for Furman to consider itself comparable to overall, academically and athletically.
 #42843  by Jasper
 Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:46 pm
And the '54 Crusaders who won the NIT were led by one of the great names in college BB history - Togo Palazzi. He won MVP I think. They also had a kid on that team named Tommy Heinsohn. They beat Duquesne with Sihugo Green, a great player. I was a HS kid at the game.
Affirm liked this
 #42850  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:56 am
Holy Cross trivia with an FU connection…or 2.

https://goholycross.com/sports/mens-ba ... swell/8449
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/p ... ell-1.html
https://thecitymenus.com/2020/01/17/tr ... ent-plans/

Also…Riley is Little Miss FUBeAR’s BF’s BFF & current roomie.
 #42851  by tim
 Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:09 am
I remember a Furman vs Holy Cross game way back in the day in Sirrine Stadium, a regular season game actually. I was a wee lad.
cavedweller2 liked this
 #42853  by Davemeister
 Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:33 am
Seems like Holy Cross came to the Poinsettia Classic many years ago. Think they whupped us, too.
tim liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.