• ETSU Game Thread

#4278  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:46 am
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:04 am
The UFFP "it will be fine" routine is like a Monty Python sketch at this point. We've been assured this by various longtime posters with respect to Lamb and then Fowler, and Davis and even Jackson.

These claims are always supported by made-up rationales with zero basis in reality . . . it's because of the facilities . . . injuries . . . the 2nd year is the hardest (empirically false by the way). There's always something.

Of course, there's nothing that can be done about the situation, so even irrational optimism is an understandable choice, given the absence of alternatives. I just don't get a lot of satisfaction out of watching games like we've seen against Elon and ETSU, and am not really interested in a few more years of it.
This is spot on. Love this post.

Everyone justified Lamb and Fowler saying it would be fine. They said, "Just wait - it will work out." It didn't. . I will grant there appears to have been lack of support from the administration at one time and that stunk. StillThere is no justifying this current way we are playing without just waiting it out and seeing. I hope we are world-beaters within a year. But right now I don't think you can say that we definitely will be

I worry about the loss of Cronic. You can recruit players to fill needs. Coaches are much harder. Cronic is scoring in bunches at his new gig.

I do hate to waste talent. Trapp, Anoor, Reid, McKoy etc -I believe we have some NASTY Defensive players. Hate to be losing w all that ..

Let's beat WCU
 #4279  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:55 am
We are bad in a lot areas, but we just have to find a QB for the future. We have always been able to throw the ball but now it is not good at all. Hopefully this will be the number one priority in recruiting and a transfer would be great.
 #4282  by sluggo
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:06 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:41 am
sluggo wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:12 am
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm
Makes you wonder about playing the other QB and possibly leaving points on the field??????

What if we have Roberts in the whole time and get up 34-6?
God forbid HR's helmet ever comes off and he has to miss a play; then we're DOOMED right?
Come on man.
No. I'm talking about THE STUPID (I said it during the game and it played out that way) decision to keep putting Grainger in for several series. Like in the second half. First series w Roberts. Result - TD. Next series - put Grainger in .... Runs two plays which get nothing and it Forces us to put Roberts back in for a third and long which was a known passing down. So forces Roberts into a bad situation. CMON MAN.

If you don't think QBs make a difference look at what ETSU did w the two different QBs, no???

But Sluggo. Look you know your stuff. You certainly do. But I also recall You said on the uffp that Roberts wasn't going to QB this year. You said that decision was obviously over since he hadn't come back since Clemson. That we were moving on w One of the youngsters. Hmmm. Cmon man :)

No worries. We are all just frustrated. Lots of blame in that game. Mental errors. Pass D gave up TONS of yards. Offense Gaines less than 20 yards in last 5 possessions.

ONE POSITIVE - we finally got a turnover. Finally.
Because HR started vs Clemson, I didn't think that his injury was why he only took three snaps.
If he was too hurt to play then he shouldn't have started.
Don't get me wrong, I had thought HR was the starter before the season started.
The Clemson thing just threw me off.
 #4283  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 am
sluggo wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:06 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:41 am
sluggo wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:12 am
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm
Makes you wonder about playing the other QB and possibly leaving points on the field??????

What if we have Roberts in the whole time and get up 34-6?
God forbid HR's helmet ever comes off and he has to miss a play; then we're DOOMED right?
Come on man.
No. I'm talking about THE STUPID (I said it during the game and it played out that way) decision to keep putting Grainger in for several series. Like in the second half. First series w Roberts. Result - TD. Next series - put Grainger in .... Runs two plays which get nothing and it Forces us to put Roberts back in for a third and long which was a known passing down. So forces Roberts into a bad situation. CMON MAN.

If you don't think QBs make a difference look at what ETSU did w the two different QBs, no???

But Sluggo. Look you know your stuff. You certainly do. But I also recall You said on the uffp that Roberts wasn't going to QB this year. You said that decision was obviously over since he hadn't come back since Clemson. That we were moving on w One of the youngsters. Hmmm. Cmon man :)

No worries. We are all just frustrated. Lots of blame in that game. Mental errors. Pass D gave up TONS of yards. Offense Gaines less than 20 yards in last 5 possessions.

ONE POSITIVE - we finally got a turnover. Finally.
Because HR started vs Clemson, I didn't think that his injury was why he only took three snaps.
If he was too hurt to play then he shouldn't have started.
Don't get me wrong, I had thought HR was the starter before the season started.
The Clemson thing just threw me off.
Understood.

Let's hope we see a win next week v WCU.

TWO GOOD THINGS -
we got a turnover. Finally. (And didn't give one up - nice)
We are going to play at HOME v WCU. finally.
QCGlue liked this
 #4289  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:48 am
I do not recognize this offense. I love our coaches, but do not understand how we could be so unprepared to play 4 games into the season. I still don’t think they know who should be playing QB and that’s scary. I underestimated what Cronic brought to the play calling last year, but these are smart guys. That stuff worked last year, and this year’s offense is no where close to what we saw last season. Certainly they can still pull in the good stuff from last year even though it’s not what Quarrells would traditionally call. Running game is just flat out awful. I don’t remember the last time I saw us suck in the defense running the ball and hit the TE for 20 plus yards. That was the cornerstone of last year’s team.
bj93, furman88 liked this
 #4290  by MNORM
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 am
Speaking of the offense....I'd love to know whose bright idea it was to run Morehead up the middle when we were backed up on our own 2 yard line.
Last edited by MNORM on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #4291  by youwouldno
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 am
MNORM wrote:
I'd love to know who thought it was a bright idea to run Morehead up the middle when we were backed up on our own 2 yard line.
On a delayed hand-off no less. Terrible play call but Morehead had a seam to at least get back to the line of scrimmage, but went another direction.
 #4297  by furman88
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 am
Couldn't agree more. Delayed handoff deep in endzone was unbeliveable. You don't do that at this level or really any level, although seemed to fit pattern of decisions the rest of the game.We made a very mediocre team look good at least in second half. A comedy of errors and execution. I want to find the positives because of young team and second year etc but to me we have taken a giant step backward.
Jasper, AllKnighter liked this
 #4306  by Fessor
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:54 pm
raleigh fan wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:42 pm
Second year actually is the worst year for most coaches. First year you probably have seniors who have never won, and deserve it. Then the next year the weaknesses of the previous coach show up in recruiting and other areas the fact we had a 5th yr QB and freshmen shows their was a recruiting problem. Yes the OC changed and that did hurt. the depth looks weak in secondary. Also the first recruiting class for a new coach can be spotty because of the transition that shows in year 2, I've seen several new coaches have a surprisingly good first year and then the second year have a terrible year because of all sorts of issues like bad luck, lack of depth/talent, and that's where the past coaches recruiting mistakes show up. We need the surprise QB transfer to show up from some school just to stabilize things next year even maybe just for a year. We need some leadership.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
 #4308  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:33 pm
MNORM wrote:
Speaking of the offense....I'd love to know whose bright idea it was to run Morehead up the middle when we were backed up on our own 2 yard line.
Never, never, ever run a draw from the end zone. I don’t care how many times it worked throughout the game.
furman88 liked this
 #4311  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 pm
Although the safety was definitely a morale-buster, it ended up working in our favor. After Atkins kicked the ensuing kickoff over everyone's head, we were able to flip the field and we ended up getting great field position with 1:30 - plenty of time to get in field goal range - on the clock. Had we not flipped the field and had to punt, there is no way we would have kept the Bucs from putting points on the board and running out the clock in the process.

I'm more concerned with what we did with the ball once we got it back (nothing) and our going into the "prevent" offense midway through the third quarter.
 #4339  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 pm
Although the safety was definitely a morale-buster, it ended up working in our favor. After Atkins kicked the ensuing kickoff over everyone's head, we were able to flip the field and we ended up getting great field position with 1:30 - plenty of time to get in field goal range - on the clock. Had we not flipped the field and had to punt, there is no way we would have kept the Bucs from putting points on the board and running out the clock in the process.

I'm more concerned with what we did with the ball once we got it back (nothing) and our going into the "prevent" offense midway through the third quarter.
RIGHT - every play matters. EVERY ONE. The safety is one that is obvious.. but the fault really lies with the last 4/5 possessions on O not scoring or even moving the ball at all. If just one or two of the last 5 possessions makes a few first downs - or even a score ! - we win that game. I think PaulC said on our last 5 possession we gained a total of 7 yards. Think about that. 7 yds.. 5 possessions. that's a recipe for a loss if I ever saw one
 #4363  by Flagman
 Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:06 pm
Let's move on to the next game, please. After all, it's the most important game of the season.
Beat the mountain kitties.
dornb, QCGlue liked this