• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42728  by gman84
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:32 am
Very good to hear the young man from NCA&T is doing well! Scary moment for sure. When is the return game scheduled? I thought the A&T fans were great opponents! Scheduling this program in the future makes perfect sense. And their band... what a show!!
furpal81, FUBeAR, tim and 4 others liked this
 #42729  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:37 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:39 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:17 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 pm
Quick question. Going out. Did Elijah McKoy play today? I saw most guys

According to the participation chart, McKoy played.
I did not see him play a down and was looking for him since I was sitting with his family.

I can't help you with that. I'm just saying he was listed on the participation chart and is credited with a tackle.
Let me know if anyone knows. I think McKoy is a good one and we say we like to rotate a lot so I don’t think there is anyway he doesn’t play unless he’s a little hurt. I watched some player participation and didn’t notice him.
McKoy did play some and is fine. Not sure how many snaps. We must have missed them. He is coming off a serious leg injury and the staff is being cautious with him apparently. This kid has a great nose for the FB and has been a leading tackler for us since his freshman year. He could be very important for Furman going forward. That Bandit position looks loaded.
 #42732  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:02 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:32 am
Very good to hear the young man from NCA&T is doing well! Scary moment for sure. When is the return game scheduled? I thought the A&T fans were great opponents! Scheduling this program in the future makes perfect sense. And their band... what a show!!
Return game is 2024. Glad to hear he is going to be ok. Anyone know where we got that 1980 ambulance? :lol: Never heard of Kadi Medical.
FU69, gman84 liked this
 #42734  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:19 pm
I hope that was just the ambulance used to go out onto the turf and that they transferred to a different one once they got the player off of the field. If not, I hope they successfully made it to the hospital.
FU69 liked this
 #42735  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:20 pm
Watching on TV you could see that both coaches and the ref were smiling and laughing while the kid was down so it was pretty clear they felt like he was OK.
 #42736  by Davemeister
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:23 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:48 pm
Massey had Furman as a 7-point favorite over (FCS #81!) NC A&T. It was a nice win but not near the top of the challenges on the schedule.
The Paladins will face many challenges this season, but NC A&T was the only one we could do anything about yesterday. Our guys rose to the occasion.
 #42737  by mathprofhiker
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:32 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:03 am
A good win overall. We tried to give it away in the 4th quarter. They are within 6 if they do not turn the ball over at the one yard line. Instead we have the 87 yard play and go up 23-3. Also not sure how good NC A&T offense is.

I give us a B minus overall as I know we can be better. Just very glad to WIN as last year losing seemed to be mental.

Keep practicing and get better. A huge win (really regardless of the opponent).

Kudos to NC A&T crowd and band.
Definitely a good win. Most teams down 20 on the road would quit, but NC A&T didn't. Credit to them for that. Also credit to us for finishing them off: we stayed focused and got some key first downs and answers to scores when things started to go bad. It's debatable whether we got outfanned and outbanned, but we definitely didn't get outmanned yesterday.
MNORM, AstroDin, Chuckles liked this
 #42743  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:30 am
Another personnel group I like.

First down, and Furman has two fullbacks and a TE in the game. Abrams plays the H back role with Miller on the line. The Aggie defense puts 8 in the box.

I think this is a wrinkle from last year - the play fake isn't a long one. Sisson effectively just pivots and then rolls out. The offensive line sells the rest of the fake.

I think last season we got in trouble because our play action passing game frequently resulted in very slow developing plays. This is just quick enough for the linebackers to take a step the wrong direction and let the WRs get in behind them.

As he frequently does, Deluca abuses single coverage.

Thought a little more on this.

Compare the above play to the type of plays we saw out of similar looks last year, like this one against Mercer.

Last season, our running back would continue to the fake out to the play action side (running opposite where the QB was going). There was frequently nothing to hold the back side defender from reading the fake and then sprinting to the QB. This often resulted in a large loss of yards.

Saturday, our QB pivoted on the fake, but the RB ran away from the play action and into the flat (the same direction the QB is going). The Aggie defense now has to account for another receiver to that side of the field.

You can even see the A&T rover/safety start to attack Sisson, then put on the brakes because he had to pick up Roberto coming out of the backfield. This results in Sisson having no pressure and the ability to make a throw for a first down.

Nice adjustment.
FU69, Jasper liked this
 #42756  by Paul C
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 pm
Jackal great catch….wonder if it was play design or botched assignment by the rub vs Mercer?
 #42770  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:36 am
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:32 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:03 am
A good win overall. We tried to give it away in the 4th quarter. They are within 6 if they do not turn the ball over at the one yard line. Instead we have the 87 yard play and go up 23-3. Also not sure how good NC A&T offense is.

I give us a B minus overall as I know we can be better. Just very glad to WIN as last year losing seemed to be mental.

Keep practicing and get better. A huge win (really regardless of the opponent).

Kudos to NC A&T crowd and band.
Definitely a good win. Most teams down 20 on the road would quit, but NC A&T didn't. Credit to them for that. Also credit to us for finishing them off: we stayed focused and got some key first downs and answers to scores when things started to go bad. It's debatable whether we got outfanned and outbanned, but we definitely didn't get outmanned yesterday.
We didn’t get outfanned but definitely outbanded if nothing else because of sheer n7mbers.
 #42777  by Davemeister
 Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:40 am
When it comes to marching bands, size matters. Our guys & gals did a good job but the numbers were overwhelming.
 #42789  by DoomedDin1127
 Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:49 am
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:40 am
When it comes to marching bands, size matters. Our guys & gals did a good job but the numbers were overwhelming.
We tried our best lol. HBCUs have a certain style that comes differently than the style Furman uses. (Both are good... just different). I don’t know if anyone noticed but during the 3rd quarter we make a tiny band and play in random spots throughout the stadium. At one point we played Dies Irae with our tiny band of 8ish people... NCA&T found that cute and played it right back at us but 10x louder. They kinda showed that they owned that tune because of sheer volume. Their band took up 5 buses...
apaladin, dornb, AstroDin and 5 others liked this
 #42797  by stonemd
 Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:17 pm
Amazing to hear no complaints about the refs! Was that just winning?
FU69 liked this
 #42798  by cavedweller2
 Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:34 pm
One of them got in the way of Kam Brinson making a play and got his just deserves.
FU69 liked this
 #42800  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:53 pm
stonemd wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:17 pm
Amazing to hear no complaints about the refs! Was that just winning?
They were active calling 19 penalties, 10 on A&T, 9 on FU. Seemed like their penalties hurt them more than the Paladins. Don’t remember the last time FU had 9 pealties in a game.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.