• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42692  by furmandad
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:17 pm
Jackal, would love to see D. Bell break one, but he hasn't been close and seems to run toward coverage clutter vs away from it. Lot's of potential ...... but we would have been better off fair catching kick offs today. Don't recall we took one past the 25??
 #42693  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:29 pm
Very pleased with the win over a good team. I think except for a couple of series play calling was better. Gave Sisson an opportunity to complete passes without having to make difficult throws. Good to see them utilize the whole field and there were only a couple sideline throws that I recall. Prolly one of if not Sisson’s best game. OL looked better to me. Defense was stellar in the first half, giving up only 75 yds total and most of that came on their first drive for the FG. A little concerned the defense gave up almost 300 yds in the second or almost 4 times what they did in the first half. Give some credit to A&T but it looked like we relaxed, lost focus after going up 23-3. All of a sudden A&T started getting big chunks of yards that weren’t there before. Game got too close for comfort when it prolly never should have. We had some injuries to key people today. Hope they are minor. After watching todays game I think there is hope for a good season but lots of room for improvement.
 #42694  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:34 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:17 pm
Jackal, would love to see D. Bell break one, but he hasn't been close and seems to run toward coverage clutter vs away from it. Lot's of potential ...... but we would have been better off fair catching kick offs today. Don't recall we took one past the 25??
Bell had a 30 yard return to start second half and start the drive on the 33.
 #42696  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:58 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:17 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:47 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:07 pm
Nonsense. They would have to put up 25-30 to win by 14. No way against our D gives that up and they haven't played in 20 months or so. I think we bust them in the mouth and win 28-17 or better.

I agree with you.

As strange as COVID was, there are going to be a number of teams this fall that haven't played a meaningful football game since 2019. A&T is one of them. A&T hasn't played a ranked team since their first week of the 2019 season.

So, A&T will come to Paladin Stadium with the normal game 1 rustiness (as most teams have), but then add a year long layoff. They'll play a Furman team that didn't have a great spring season, but played and will be deeper and healthier than they were in the spring session.
So you think they cannot put up more than 25 or 30 points on our defense? If true that they cannot, that’s great news!
The last season they played (2019), in their final 3 games they scored 47, 54 (a shutout), and 64.
So I’m focusing on that history.
Who knows what our team can do at this point. Certainly I do not know. Our history lately has been one of disappointments. But maybe you are correct that “there is no way our D gives up 25 points” (and I hope also no way our O gives up 25 points with turnovers); and maybe you are correct that they will be rusty and we will be the opposite of rusty.
It is an interesting game at this point. I hope it will be a good one - for us.

That 2019 Aggie squad was also losing 21-6 in the fourth quarter to the same Charleston Southern team we pummeled two weeks earlier.

They'll be a good team. They aren't likely to be the North Dakota State.
Mr. Davis and his crowd are sure to be disappointed by this victory.
Affirm has been “accused” (?) of being Mr. Davis. Affirm is of course not Mr. Davis, nor has Affirm ever met or communicated in any manner with Mr. Davis. Affirm has met President Davis only once ever, and that very briefly. Affirm takes this opportunity to defend Mr. Davis from your comment that Mr. Davis is disappointed. From my observations, it seems that Mr. Davis very seriously, enthusiastically, and self-sacrificially supports Furman athletics in the most appropriate way. No one should be saying “Mr. Davis and his crowd are sure to be disappointed by this victory.” That is an awful thing for anyone to say.
Less importantly than defending Mr. Davis, I will add the following. Because of the first sentence above, Affirm recognizes the possibility that the Cavedweller post to which I am responding is more of Cavedweller’s usual sarcasm. Sarcasm typically includes derision, ridicule, and taunting; and it very much seems to include all of that in this case. It is highly inappropriate sarcasm on the part of Cavedweller.
Affirm will close by noting that at 9:33 pm 8/3/21, Affirm stated that it would be “great news” if Furman could keep NCA&T from scoring 25 or 30 points on Furman; and by noting also that at 6:42 tonight, Affirm stated definite approval and gratification for today’s win, not disappointment. Surely Cavedweller can read, but maybe he is just so eager to express his sarcasm (very inappropriate and very unwelcome sarcasm in this case, if not every case) that he chooses to not read and/or to not think.
 #42697  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:17 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 pm
Quick question. Going out. Did Elijah McKoy play today? I saw most guys

According to the participation chart, McKoy played.
I did not see him play a down and was looking for him since I was sitting with his family.
 #42699  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:29 pm
Very pleased with the win over a good team. I think except for a couple of series play calling was better. Gave Sisson an opportunity to complete passes without having to make difficult throws. Good to see them utilize the whole field and there were only a couple sideline throws that I recall. Prolly one of if not Sisson’s best game. OL looked better to me. Defense was stellar in the first half, giving up only 75 yds total and most of that came on their first drive for the FG. A little concerned the defense gave up almost 300 yds in the second or almost 4 times what they did in the first half. Give some credit to A&T but it looked like we relaxed, lost focus after going up 23-3. All of a sudden A&T started getting big chunks of yards that weren’t there before. Game got too close for comfort when it prolly never should have. We had some injuries to key people today. Hope they are minor. After watching todays game I think there is hope for a good season but lots of room for improvement.

I don't want to make too much of this, but I really think we saw the future of Furman's offense today. We had some coaching changes with Duke taking over the OL and Bratton including passing game coordinator to his duties. It all seemed to work today.

For the first time, we really saw Furman's offense with some experience at QB. We saw the depth along the line and in the backfield. Perhaps for the first time in a number of years, we had a WR with both length and speed.

What's so intriguing is that Furman's offense was largely "position-less."
  • Our RBs were frequently split out as WRs. Our backs had 9 catches for 82 yards and a TD.
  • Our WRs are getting the ball out of the backfield
  • Our TEs can run like WRs and are built like a fullbacks
  • Our fullbacks frequently lined up at H back.
I was pleased to see that Sisson didn't lock onto Miller and Deluca all afternoon. Our tendency to lock on to the primary receiver has been a failing of the offense the last few years.

It's only one game, and last spring should be a cautionary tale, but I was really excited about what I saw today.
apaladin, AstroDin, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #42700  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:39 pm
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

I did not see him play a down and was looking for him since I was sitting with his family.

I can't help you with that. I'm just saying he was listed on the participation chart and is credited with a tackle.
 #42709  by cavedweller2
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:15 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:58 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:17 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:47 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:07 pm
Nonsense. They would have to put up 25-30 to win by 14. No way against our D gives that up and they haven't played in 20 months or so. I think we bust them in the mouth and win 28-17 or better.

I agree with you.

As strange as COVID was, there are going to be a number of teams this fall that haven't played a meaningful football game since 2019. A&T is one of them. A&T hasn't played a ranked team since their first week of the 2019 season.

So, A&T will come to Paladin Stadium with the normal game 1 rustiness (as most teams have), but then add a year long layoff. They'll play a Furman team that didn't have a great spring season, but played and will be deeper and healthier than they were in the spring session.
So you think they cannot put up more than 25 or 30 points on our defense? If true that they cannot, that’s great news!
The last season they played (2019), in their final 3 games they scored 47, 54 (a shutout), and 64.
So I’m focusing on that history.
Who knows what our team can do at this point. Certainly I do not know. Our history lately has been one of disappointments. But maybe you are correct that “there is no way our D gives up 25 points” (and I hope also no way our O gives up 25 points with turnovers); and maybe you are correct that they will be rusty and we will be the opposite of rusty.
It is an interesting game at this point. I hope it will be a good one - for us.

That 2019 Aggie squad was also losing 21-6 in the fourth quarter to the same Charleston Southern team we pummeled two weeks earlier.

They'll be a good team. They aren't likely to be the North Dakota State.
Mr. Davis and his crowd are sure to be disappointed by this victory.
Affirm has been “accused” (?) of being Mr. Davis. Affirm is of course not Mr. Davis, nor has Affirm ever met or communicated in any manner with Mr. Davis. Affirm has met President Davis only once ever, and that very briefly. Affirm takes this opportunity to defend Mr. Davis from your comment that Mr. Davis is disappointed. From my observations, it seems that Mr. Davis very seriously, enthusiastically, and self-sacrificially supports Furman athletics in the most appropriate way. No one should be saying “Mr. Davis and his crowd are sure to be disappointed by this victory.” That is an awful thing for anyone to say.
Less importantly than defending Mr. Davis, I will add the following. Because of the first sentence above, Affirm recognizes the possibility that the Cavedweller post to which I am responding is more of Cavedweller’s usual sarcasm. Sarcasm typically includes derision, ridicule, and taunting; and it very much seems to include all of that in this case. It is highly inappropriate sarcasm on the part of Cavedweller.
Affirm will close by noting that at 9:33 pm 8/3/21, Affirm stated that it would be “great news” if Furman could keep NCA&T from scoring 25 or 30 points on Furman; and by noting also that at 6:42 tonight, Affirm stated definite approval and gratification for today’s win, not disappointment. Surely Cavedweller can read, but maybe he is just so eager to express his sarcasm (very inappropriate and very unwelcome sarcasm in this case, if not every case) that he chooses to not read and/or to not think.

Just wait until I get serious with my Sarcasm. CCLOT
 #42715  by purplehorse
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:03 am
A good win overall. We tried to give it away in the 4th quarter. They are within 6 if they do not turn the ball over at the one yard line. Instead we have the 87 yard play and go up 23-3. Also not sure how good NC A&T offense is.

I give us a B minus overall as I know we can be better. Just very glad to WIN as last year losing seemed to be mental.

Keep practicing and get better. A huge win (really regardless of the opponent).

Kudos to NC A&T crowd and band.
Jasper liked this
 #42717  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:39 pm
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

I can't help you with that. I'm just saying he was listed on the participation chart and is credited with a tackle.
Let me know if anyone knows. I think McKoy is a good one and we say we like to rotate a lot so I don’t think there is anyway he doesn’t play unless he’s a little hurt. I watched some player participation and didn’t notice him.
 #42719  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:18 am

Reading another quote from the coach, it sounds like he was alert when getting loaded in the ambulance. I haven't seen this confirmed, but he may have been knocked out on the hit. Good to hear he seems to be doing well. Scary moment you don't like to see.
PurpleReign, AstroDin, gman84 and 9 others liked this
 #42720  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:30 am
Another personnel group I like.

First down, and Furman has two fullbacks and a TE in the game. Abrams plays the H back role with Miller on the line. The Aggie defense puts 8 in the box.

I think this is a wrinkle from last year - the play fake isn't a long one. Sisson effectively just pivots and then rolls out. The offensive line sells the rest of the fake.

I think last season we got in trouble because our play action passing game frequently resulted in very slow developing plays. This is just quick enough for the linebackers to take a step the wrong direction and let the WRs get in behind them.

As he frequently does, Deluca abuses single coverage.

AstroDin liked this
 #42727  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:23 am
A few random thoughts and observations…

Can we put to rest our receivers can't get separation and we have no deep ball threats? I think so. We saw a glimmer of what excites the coaching staff about Joshua Harris. Joshua has a long frame - I'll be curious how much (weight/muscle) he can put on and not lose his zip.

Ryan Miller is a bad a$$! Yesterday's catch and run for TD was a bookend to the catch and run he had against Samford. IMO, this reception was more impressive.

Sisson is putting a lot more zip on the ball, and he's gutsy.

Team physicality - we fought tooth and nail against a very physical team. Yes, we got some personal fouls but I like the aggressiveness and the Moxy - just calm it down a bit.

Other than just a couple of plays - the Defense made some hard-hitting open field man-on-man tackles. Gilby and Kam Brinson stood out. Brinson was impressive.

Bryce Stainfield made a couple of plays - not sure the status of Sochovka, I think it's a knee sprain - him not playing brought in a mix of Stainfield and J Jackson. Both of whom cover sideline to side fast for 250 pounders.

The O-line —  you have to make an effort to keep up with who's playing during a series. May times Furman had an o-line lineup of a RSFR, SO, SO, SO, SR. And towards the end, true freshman Ryan Lamb was in. It was a raging battle upfront - and during the fourth quarter - the men on Purple appeared stronger.

Playmakers — we will see as the season moves along—it appears CCH's goal of recruiting more playmakers has been successful. D Bell and KT are both fast-twitch guys that can explode quickly, Furman has to continue to look for ways to get both of them in the open and let them go man on man.

The cat's now of the bag concerning J Harris - once he busted loose for TD gallop - the Aggies defense went into full respect mode for his speed. I think Furman has a few more not yet used players to play. I'm not going to publically say what I saw during warm-ups but the Dins have a couple of young players with some zip that I'd wager we will see on the field soon.

Last note for GoFurman - McKoy did see the field some - most of the rotation with Hope came from Luke Clark. Not sure the reasoning - maybe it was the physical aspect of the matchups? Clark is 6-3 243.
MNORM, din23, PalaDad liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.