• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42677  by Furmanoid
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:03 pm
I got all geeked out excited after the WCU game in the Spring, so I’m only cautiously optimistic. I’m not sure A&T was really very good. I kinda think their offense is horrible. But we won. Sisson does appear to be better, but I think a lot of that is play calling. The O line does appear to better. The defense is still really, really good. I think we are good enough to win the SoCon with a little luck here and there. But I’m afraid SoCon defenses might figure us out. We need to get a lot better.
 #42678  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:10 pm
Saw a lot of RPO out of the offense today. Loved it.

I especially liked this pass to Miller. For one, the personnel grouping is a difficult matchup for a defense. Furman is in 22 (two TEs/two RBs/1WR), with Miller at H back and Wynn split wide. With Wynn and Miller's versatility, it's difficult to not respect their ability to catch passes.

Sisson reads the linebacker. He steps up against the fullback run and Sisson pulls the ball and dumps it behind him. Left side of the line run blocks, right side pass blocks.

Hard to tell from the camera angle, but I'm pretty sure Miller's long touchdown catch was the same play.

#42679  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:16 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I got all geeked out excited after the WCU game in the Spring, so I’m only cautiously optimistic. I’m not sure A&T was really very good. I kinda think their offense is horrible. But we won. Sisson does appear to be better, but I think a lot of that is play calling. The O line does appear to better. The defense is still really, really good. I think we are good enough to win the SoCon with a little luck here and there. But I’m afraid SoCon defenses might figure us out. We need to get a lot better.

Meh, different opponents. WCU was not a good football team. A&T's defense alone is one of the better groups we'll see.

I think this win will be a good one for us. A&T will probably perform well in the Big South. They have name recognition.

If nothing else, Furman took a guy that was considered by many to be the best running back in the FCS and made him a nonfactor.
MNORM liked this
 #42680  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:17 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 pm
Quick question. Going out. Did Elijah McKoy play today? I saw most guys

According to the participation chart, McKoy played.
 #42682  by FU3
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:27 pm
Beat a team that would have beat us by 30 in the spring .. good start.
 #42683  by Furmanoid
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Meh, different opponents. WCU was not a good football team. A&T's defense alone is one of the better groups we'll see.

I think this win will be a good one for us. A&T will probably perform well in the Big South. They have name recognition.

If nothing else, Furman took a guy that was considered by many to be the best running back in the FCS and made him a nonfactor.
I’m really not sure that guy was anywhete near 100%. His leg was all wrapped up, he was limping around on the sideline, and they only started running him a lot when they got desperate.

But you are right that A&T has big time name recognition so this a big, big win. However I don’t see how we can conclude that they have a great defense.
 #42684  by Paul C
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:35 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 pm
I suspect Vegas will have A&T as a 3 to 7 point favorite but a more realistic line would be 10 to 14 points IMHO.
I generally agree with both of your projections.
I will run y’alls book any day…..
 #42685  by Sad Din
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:35 pm
11,600 attendance. Not a bad payday at the box!

Wonder how beer sales went?
dornb liked this
 #42686  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:38 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

I’m really not sure that guy was anywhete near 100%. His leg was all wrapped up, he was limping around on the sideline, and they only started running him a lot when they got desperate.

But you are right that A&T has big time name recognition so this a big, big win. However I don’t see how we can conclude that they have a great defense.

I realize that giving our offense credit is something that a few of you have a really hard time doing, but we put up nearly 500 yards against a team that is consistently one of the nation's top ranked defenses.

We scored 29 and left a dozen or so points on the field with misfires in the kicking game and missing a wide open Deluca for a touchdown.

I expect A&T will be a 7 or 8 win team in the BSC.
gman84, DeepPurple liked this
 #42687  by cavedweller2
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:42 pm
I
Last edited by cavedweller2 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #42688  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:44 pm
That was a tough, physical, hard nosed team we beat today. Not playing for nearly 2 years showed, though.

They stacked the box like everybody else did in the Spring and we had the answer this time with a lot of creative and well executed pass plays. I think Hamp got the monkey off his back today with a gutty performance and some great throws.

No, it wasn't perfect. My blood pressure went thru the roof in the 4th quarter. But it was a good win!

P.S. I hope that A & T player that was injured in the 1st Q is O.K. That was scary.
Sad Din, dornb, gman84 and 2 others liked this
 #42689  by youwouldno
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:48 pm
Massey had Furman as a 7-point favorite over (FCS #81!) NC A&T. It was a nice win but not near the top of the challenges on the schedule.
 #42690  by furmandad
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:55 pm
Agree with the MANY positives that have been noted, and very happy with the opening day WIN. Special Teams need to tighten up, specifically the kicking mistakes and 2 long kickoff returns where our guys didn't cover their lane responsibility. We also have a soft spot in our defensive backfield that A&T figured out and exposed several times. I'm sure the game tape will be instructive and the Coaching Staff will be all over this.
 #42691  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:02 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:55 pm
Agree with the MANY positives that have been noted, and very happy with the opening day WIN. Special Teams need to tighten up, specifically the kicking mistakes and 2 long kickoff returns where our guys didn't cover their lane responsibility. We also have a soft spot in our defensive backfield that A&T figured out and exposed several times. I'm sure the game tape will be instructive and the Coaching Staff will be all over this.

Special teams had some ups and downs. I think Bleekrode will be a good one, and he misfired on an almost-too-easy field goal.

I'd put a shiny nickel on Dejuan Bell housing a kickoff return before the seasons done. He may win us a game at some point with his ability to get up field in a hurry.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.