• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42633  by Jasper
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:14 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:37 pm
There appears to be 2 schools of thought on how to evaluate this coming game and season. One wants to throw out the spring season as just another victim of the pandemic and the other sees this season as a return to FUs usual competitive level under normal circumstances. The fan in me wants to believe the later but the investor in me cannot “unsee” the spring disappointment. IF corrections are made and improvements occur, FU should be very good. If the play calling and preparation are what we witnessed in the spring and if the QB play and O line remain the same, then the only rational solution will be frequent visits to the Wicked Weed endzone oasis. I am personally investing in the Dins as soon as the line is released.

I've watched SoCon football long enough that you can pretty much throw out whatever the team did last season.

I've said this multiple times: The spring season was neither nothing, nor was it everything.

Yeah, we went 3-4. We were 3 points from 4-2. Two SoCon losses typically will put you in the conversation with the league title most seasons.

I'm not stressed about it. Plenty on this forum would see a basket of negatives regardless of the spring results. We'll be fine. If we aren't, we'll get them next year.
You are clearly a lot younger than I, Jackal. I don't have enough football seasons left to watch direct handoffs to a back standing right next to the QB who is 7 yards deep and results in a loss. Or the dreaded 8 yard pass on a third and 10, etc. etc. These kids are better than that. I want to see some creativity and misdirection mixed into the 3 yards and cloud of dust mentality. 3 - 4 was terrible in a season in which we were pre season ranked and a few of those 4 were really ugly...Mercer comes to mind. Good for you that you aren't stressed over it. Neither am I actually. Concerned is more like it.
FU69 liked this
 #42634  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:34 pm
Excellent post Jasper and I think that sums up the feelings of a lot of us. Hoping for the best and more importantly hoping for something different from the offense tomortow.
MNORM, FU69 liked this
 #42635  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:36 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:14 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:37 pm
There appears to be 2 schools of thought on how to evaluate this coming game and season. One wants to throw out the spring season as just another victim of the pandemic and the other sees this season as a return to FUs usual competitive level under normal circumstances. The fan in me wants to believe the later but the investor in me cannot “unsee” the spring disappointment. IF corrections are made and improvements occur, FU should be very good. If the play calling and preparation are what we witnessed in the spring and if the QB play and O line remain the same, then the only rational solution will be frequent visits to the Wicked Weed endzone oasis. I am personally investing in the Dins as soon as the line is released.

I've watched SoCon football long enough that you can pretty much throw out whatever the team did last season.

I've said this multiple times: The spring season was neither nothing, nor was it everything.

Yeah, we went 3-4. We were 3 points from 4-2. Two SoCon losses typically will put you in the conversation with the league title most seasons.

I'm not stressed about it. Plenty on this forum would see a basket of negatives regardless of the spring results. We'll be fine. If we aren't, we'll get them next year.
You are clearly a lot younger than I, Jackal. I don't have enough football seasons left to watch direct handoffs to a back standing right next to the QB who is 7 yards deep and results in a loss. Or the dreaded 8 yard pass on a third and 10, etc. etc. These kids are better than that. I want to see some creativity and misdirection mixed into the 3 yards and cloud of dust mentality. 3 - 4 was terrible in a season in which we were pre season ranked and a few of those 4 were really ugly...Mercer comes to mind. Good for you that you aren't stressed over it. Neither am I actually. Concerned is more like it.

I just look at the national scene, what offenses were doing around the country, the results of our games, and just don't see reason to hit the panic button. We lost four, but probably should have won three of them.

In my view, I want see less sizzle and more steak. Sure, creativity is fine, but we had one of the nation's best offenses in 2017 essentially running fullback dive and play action fakes to the TE. Our focus needs to be back on the basics - move the ball and the ground.

I personally thought in the spring we were trying too hard. It was almost as though we had a bunch of extra time to really cook some stuff up on offense, and just never really managed to execute it well. Don't screw around with all the razzle dazzle until you can run the power, or the trap, or the sweep.

Bottom line, we gotta start moving the ball better on first downs. Our offense just struggled when we were getting stopped for no gain or loss on first downs. Most offenses do.

Look, A&T's going to clog the middle. They list a 4-3 defense and are built to stop the run. They're going bring that Rover down into the box and lineup man to man outside. They are going to play a lot of man defense and cover three and force Sisson to make quick reads and throw the ball on target. That shouldn't surprise any of us, let alone our coaches or players.

This game will be in the hands of our offensive line. They had a rough season in the spring, but they have a chance to show what they've got against one of the nation's toughest defenses.
 #42639  by MNORM
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:34 pm
Excellent post Jasper and I think that sums up the feelings of a lot of us. Hoping for the best and more importantly hoping for something different from the offense tomortow.
I'd go as far as saying that I'd be fine seeing nothing "different", per se, so long as it's better executed. This offense works when executed effectively. Simply put, we made too many mistakes to win games in the Spring.
apaladin liked this
 #42645  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:39 am
Chuckles, FU69 liked this
 #42647  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:27 am
Dan put together a nice pregame spot before the A&T contest. Give it a listen.

Highlights an interesting stat from the Aggie - a lot is made of their stud running back, but not much mention that they lost most of their other skill players and have to account for about 4,000 yards of offense missing off the 2019 team.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #42653  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:51 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:16 am
I’m sure glad we played all those games even though we were terrible. Imagine if all the weak spots hadn’t been exposed until the NC A&T game. But they were exposed, and very clear corrective action is being taken.
Let’s certainly hope so. In 2 hours we will find out,
Furmanoid, FU69 liked this
 #42654  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:17 pm
Good pregame interview with George Quarles.

He harped on a lot of the same stuff that's been bandied about here - need more consistent play up front, be better in passing game, change some of the running back blocking assignments, need the WRs to start making some plays, and get defenses out of 9 men in the box.

He also mentioned that we will probably see Sisson more of a runner. We were unable to exhibit that much in the spring because we had no depth at the position.
 #42658  by Furmanoid
 Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:14 pm
Did we just go 3 and out during a commercial? What happened?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.