Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:35 am
In action tonight

The Citadel @ Coastal
Tenn Tech @ Samford
Point @ Mercer
Austin Peay @ UTC
 #42570  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:39 am
In sort of a strange SoCon-related story, Chis Oludakon, who transferred from USF to Samford a few years ago and ended up backing up Liam Welch, has now transferred to SDSU and named the starter. SDSU, of course, is just coming off a national title appearance this spring.

So, Samford's backup QB is now the starting QB for a national finalist. Samford is decidedly not a national finalist, so we'll see how this all shakes out.
 #42574  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:48 am
He’s very talented…but I think, perhaps, he freelanced a bit too much & maybe was a beat slow at getting the ball out to be the best fit for Hatcher’s O.

Hope he has a great year for the Jackrabbits!
 #42577  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:34 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:48 am
He’s very talented…but I think, perhaps, he freelanced a bit too much & maybe was a beat slow at getting the ball out to be the best fit for Hatcher’s O.

Hope he has a great year for the Jackrabbits!
Even stranger, perhaps, is that the starting QB for South Carolina this week is Zeb Noland.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say

Noland's from the Athens area, played a bit for Iowa State, transferred to NDSU to be Trey Lance's backup. Left NDSU for a coaching gig at South Carolina as a grad assistant. Now he's starting because of injuries to the QBs. Wild.
 #42602  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:26 pm
Samford is better than Tenn Tech, but it feels like I'm watching the same Samford team I've seen the last 3 years.
 #42604  by tim
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:07 pm
Did I read the stat line wrong or is Frost getting most of the snaps at Mercer? I thought Peavey was the starter at qb?
 #42606  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:49 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:07 pm
Did I read the stat line wrong or is Frost getting most of the snaps at Mercer? I thought Peavey was the starter at qb?
Mr. Frost has concluded his Mercer Football career.

Carter Peevy started and played well. INT on 1st series was caused by well-thrown pass clanking off Receiver’s hands & into the DB’s. Fred Payton, transfer from & former starting QB for CCU, came in the 2nd series and rotated, throughout the 1st half, playing about an equal number of series, with Peevy. Payton also played well. Dylan (yes, he is Jake’s younger brother) Fromm played the 3rd quarter and into the 4th a bit. He’s a 3rd year Player who saw his 1st game action at QB tonight. He also is the Holder on Placekicks. Mr. Fromm also played well with a snap-taking hiccup or 2 being the only mars on his performance. Walk-on Anthony Squitieri played most of the 4th quarter and did not attempt a pass.

Mercer Passing
# PLAYER C-A YDS TD I RTG
15 PEEVY,CARTER 9-12 139 1 1 183.1
6 FROMM,DYLAN 5-7 46 1 0 173.8
4 PAYTON,FRED 4-6 54 1 0 197.3
PASS TOTALS 18-25 239 3 1

Bears won 69-0 kneeling out the final minute inside the 5.

Nick Saban will sleep very little tonight.
tim liked this
 #42608  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:06 pm
Is Dylan any kin to Bob?
Nope…but he is this guy’s twin brother https://auburntigers.com/sports/footba ... romm/17284
 #42609  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:12 pm
Welp the ChattaQuitta Mocks must be still QUIT. They certainly did a nice job of embarrassing the SoCon tonight. DAMMIT!
 #42615  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:23 am
Not sure if anyone watched them, but the Citadel's offense - to my eyes - looked a bit different. Still running the option, but their backfield spent more time in the "t" formation and their wingbacks frequently had their hands on the ground.

That's some old school stuff right there.

At a glance, their backfield is a bit bigger than normal. Their fullback is still a load at 6'0 230 (I think the broadcast said he came to Cit as a defensive lineman), but but a-backs do not appear to be the typical diminutive scat backs. The fullback had a workman like 23 carries for 66 yards. Yeesh.

Also, Raleigh Webb somehow still has not graduated. I think there needs to be a federal investigation. I think that guy started at the Citadel the same time Johnson Haygood did.
 #42616  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:57 am
Saw them doing that a bit more last Spring also. Was thinking that it had something to do with them losing the complex “RaineyRunRight/RaineyRunLeft” O they had run the previous 2 or so years. But didn’t really pay enough attention to them to cipher on it much.

Don’t know…but I’m thinking that alignment change could have something to do with new-ish blocking rules. I’d have to study on it a bit to think thru it… where a player aligns at the snap does determine things like whether he can block below the waist and can block at certain angles.

Like many of FUBeAR’s pre-Facebook relationships…it’s complicated.
 #42617  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:58 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:57 am
Saw them doing that a bit more last Spring also. Was thinking that it had something to do with them losing the complex “RaineyRunRight/RaineyRunLeft” O they had run the previous 2 or so years. But didn’t really pay enough attention to them to cipher on it much.

Don’t know…but I’m thinking that alignment change could have something to do with new-ish blocking rules. I’d have to study on it a bit to think thru it… where a player aligns at the snap does determine things like whether he can block below the waist and can block at certain angles.

Like many of FUBeAR’s pre-Facebook relationships…it’s complicated.

Struck me too that their A-Backs look a bit beefier than normal. One guy is listed at 6'2 200, which is decidedly big for a wing in their offense.

I didn't watch every snap, but they stayed in this alignment most of the plays I saw with occasional drops into the gun.
 #42622  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:23 am
Impressive:
Samford’s Welch: 33-44 370 yds. 4 TD’s 0 int.
Not impressive:
UTC’s Arnold: 11-26 130 yds. 1 TD 2 int.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.